Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Harvard Report ?        (Topic#2183)
fdiapmf 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-03-05
01-18-06 03:23 AM - Post#13703    

Are there any Crimson fans up there in Boston who've been able to catch some games and would be able to provide a first hand report ? Would Cusworth and Stehle cause Penn problems ? .... What's been the overall impression so far? - Thanks

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Harvard Report ?
01-19-06 03:34 AM - Post#13704    
    In response to fdiapmf

I've been to a few games, and about all I can say for sure is that Harvard got new jerseys this offseason.

In all seriousness, this team has the most talent it has had since the aborted 2002-2003 run, and is probably deeper than that team. Cusworth and Stehle still aren't as dominant as one would like, primarily because they spent six games getting to that point, then seven games wandering, searching for an identity while Cusworth sat, and just now are they able to get back to trying to prove that you can win this league from the inside.

Taking a little turn here, though, I've said it all along and I'll say it again: the key to this team is Jim Goffredo. Teams have proven that they can take away Cusworth and neutralize Stehle (Stehle has an outside game as well, making him harder to shut down, but he can be contained). However, when those two guys have been targeted, Goffredo has found himself with wide open shots. If he sinks them (LIU, Dartmouth, CCSU -- though the Camels went nuts from three and won it), Harvard will be wildly successful. If he connects on just one or two of seven (or, hey, even 11 -- Lehigh), then Harvard will struggle.

That's likely what you'll see down the stretch. Teams will pack it in to shut down Cusworth (Yale might be able to go man up with Martin), and they'll give Stehle his 12-15, but won't let him go off. The opponents will outwork the guards for boards to keep the rebounding margin close. And they'll nail some threes to make up for the paint disadvantage. That leaves Goffredo as the guy who will need to step up. If he can average 15-16 a game in Ivy play and avoid disappearing from the scoring sheet entirely for games at a time (a la Kevin Rogus), then I really like the Crimson's chances.

But that's a relatively large "if".

cantab 
Freshman

Loc: c-bridge
Reg: 11-28-04
01-20-06 06:42 PM - Post#13705    
    In response to fdiapmf

I don't think many of us who follow this team really know what to expect out of them. They've played some really impressive games this year (at HC and Albany) and some surprisingly terrible clunkers as well (CCSU, at Lehigh, at SMU). I was actually surprised that the two Dartmouth games pretty much went according to the book.

Mr. James is right on in pointing to Goffredo as the key. Housman has been steadily great the point this year and while I'd like to see Stehle and Cusworth shoot a higher percentage, it's really going to come down to Goffredo. If we're going to give Penn even the slightest scare we need to have Jimmy hitting from the outside consistenly in the league.

As for your question, if it were a 2-on-2 game between Stehle and Cusworth and Zoller and Danley, then you might have cause to worry. But the way your team appears to be defending right now I don't know that anyone will be able to work the ball inside consistently against you. Housman has been excellent so far, but I don't think he's played a team that defends like Penn will.

I'm curious to see how Penn does against a Lasalle team that looks to be in Harvard's neighborhood talent-wise.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

01-20-06 07:43 PM - Post#13706    
    In response to cantab

LaSalle's far more talented than Harvard in my opinion. If for no other reason: Mr. Smith.

cantab 
Freshman

01-20-06 09:07 PM - Post#13707    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Then why are both teams 10-5 against similar strengths of schedule? We know why Harvard is. They went 3-4 with Cusworth out. So what's Lasalle's excuse?

The only team in the top 200 Lasalle has beaten is Drexel on a neutral court. Harvard has four wins over the top 200 and three of them are on the road.

Either Lasalle is the most underachieving team in basketball with all that talent or you severely overrate their talent. Or are you underrating Harvard's?

Condor 
PhD Student

01-20-06 11:48 PM - Post#13708    
    In response to cantab

For what it is worth, here are their Sagarin ranks/SOS.
La Salle 128 256
Harvard 174 313

At this point, I think you would have to say that La Salle has been more impressive. They definitely have a more athletic team. Regardless, I do not think that the game will indicate any more than the other games Penn has played. Further, this is a Big 5 match, and they always have a slightly different slant.

cantab 
Freshman

01-21-06 12:09 AM - Post#13709    
    In response to Condor

You're reframing the debate here. I never claimed Crimson supremacy. I just said Lasalle was in our neighborhood.

And if they had played half their non-conference schedule without their second best player, I'll bet they'd be below us in the rankings.

Condor 
PhD Student

01-21-06 01:28 AM - Post#13710    
    In response to cantab

Quote:

And if they had played half their non-conference schedule without their second best player, I'll bet they'd be below us in the rankings.

I am not really certain that is true. Smith is by far their best player. For H, they really need both Stehle and Cusworth. I do believe that Harvard would have been closer in the rankings had Cusworth not been out.

Regardless, they are very different teams. I do not think this will tell us much about Penn and Harvard's future matchup.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.141 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:03 PM