Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Jordan Dingle        (Topic#21893)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
10-03-18 01:12 PM - Post#261848    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

I lean towards Woods as the starting 1, with Goodman/Silpe having substantial minutes. Last year, you wouldn't have described either Woods or Foreman as a prototype PG (or SG). I thought they were an under-sized, under-shooting, under-ball-handling, and under-assisting guard tandem. Somehow Donahue made that work and obviously Foreman improved a lot over the year.

Last year, Foreman was our Alpha. I see some promising signs that Woods could be that this year. He made pretty good decisions last year and doesn't seem afraid of a situation. Hopefully having a spotlight on him will make him even better, as it did with Foreman.

We would all love for one of the Freshman to be our savior at PG, but I don't see that happening. Very few Freshman come in ready to lead an ivy team at the position, and it doesn't seem like it will be Donahue's M.O. as our team depth stabilizes in the future.

PG is the most important position in college basketball, so I hope we get that figured out. We made it work last year, but I'm not confident that it will work as a team strategy into the future!

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
10-03-18 01:18 PM - Post#261849    
    In response to Penndemonium

understanding that Antonio has shown personal and athletic development from four years ago...

we have a year and a half of data that shows when he was a high usage, ball-in-his-hands point guard, he was severely below average and if we got that performance again, we'd likely not make the ivy tourney.

we have a year of data that shows when he's a complementary, low-usage off guard, glue guy, he did a great job. Given we don't have an obvious replacement for that sort of necessary position, I'm not sure why we want to "solve" Darnell's loss by creating a hole at the off guard spot.

But Steve knows that, so if he starts him at point, either he's made a lot of strides (awesome!) or he hasn't made any strides but we have no one better (not awesome!). We will not know which one it is for a few games so don't be telling me "Woods starting at 1 necessarily means he must be a much better point guard than he used to be".

It might mean that. It might not.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
10-03-18 01:31 PM - Post#261851    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Agreed. I think he is capable of taking that step. But if not, and it means that Silpe is playing major minutes, I am a bit pessimistic (unless, of course, Silpe has taken the giant steps I spoke of above).

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.42 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:26 AM