Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Jordan Dingle        (Topic#21893)
besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
09-29-18 08:52 PM - Post#261695    

Pat Lawless
Jordan Dingle tells PrepCircuit he has committed to the University of Pennsylvania - Q&A on his decision

“I’m very excited about this opportunity and the coaching staff has voiced how excited they are to work with this group."

Link: https://www.prepcircuit.com/news_article/show/954 4...

Adam Finkelstein
Penn adds to already deep class with a power guard, two-way player, & self-made shot-maker.

BU, Saint Louis, and Holy Cross appear to be his other major offers.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/09/29/jordan-din gle-t...

Edited by besnoah on 09-29-18 08:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
09-29-18 10:04 PM - Post#261698    
    In response to besnoah

Some links:

https://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/932 103

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlKwXcRkqUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9tDVqSJwHc

Sounds like he had a big summer. Might be a candidate for PG. I'd think we'd need one in the 2019 recruiting class.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
09-30-18 02:42 AM - Post#261699    
    In response to TheLine

Looks like another very good addition to the 2019 class (and welcome to the Quakers!). Good shooter and looks really athletic.

Had an impressive EYBL AAU season - averaged 12.5 points per game across regular season and playoffs and shot ~ 40% from 3 and 70% on FTs. Can see all his stats from that season here:

https://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/243614 36?...

Really like the 5 man class across the board.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
09-30-18 08:59 AM - Post#261702    
    In response to Mike Porter

We really needed a PG in this class. Now we have one. Job done.

besnoah 
Masters Student

Jordan Dingle
09-30-18 10:58 AM - Post#261706    
    In response to Streamers

Was doing some more reading on him and learned his dad was Dana Dingle who was a senior starter on the '96 UMass team that went to the Final Four (since vacated).

Edited by besnoah on 09-30-18 10:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Jordan Dingle
09-30-18 11:01 AM - Post#261707    
    In response to besnoah

And whose freshman '93 team squeaked by the Quakers in the NCAAs despite the valiant late efforts of Jerome.

nychoops 
Junior

Reg: 11-23-04
Jordan Dingle
09-30-18 09:09 PM - Post#261715    
    In response to penn nation

Another kid I’m very familiar with and this was a poorly keep secret.I absolutely love this kids game and for the life of me have no idea why he has flown under the radar with the only knock on him being a lack of a natural position. He can shoot, is highly athletic and is fearless. The summer he played at the highest level
And I witnessed him outplay many, many power 5 top
150 kids. I just love this signing for both parties and after his 4 years will be shocked if he’s not a star and because of his competitiveness he will be a fan favorite from day 1.

Edited by nychoops on 09-30-18 09:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
09-30-18 09:20 PM - Post#261716    
    In response to nychoops

Boy do I like the sound of that preview. Just tell me he can handle the point and see the floor.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
09-30-18 09:32 PM - Post#261717    
    In response to Streamers

I liked what his coach had to say about him in one of the links...

“I think Jordan made a great choice,” he said. “I think he will be a contributor almost immediately upon arriving at Penn. He has a Big East skill level and a Big East physicality and he has an advanced understanding of how to play.”

He is definitely a much thicker guard than we normally get.

On his video, he seemed to be an aggressive penetrator.
He is able to kick out when his defenders sag on him.
He isn't the fastest player, but has quickness from a pretty good first step.
He is ripped relative to our normal skinny freshman guards.
His handles look decent, but perhaps not yet starting ivy PG level.
And he shoots 100% from 3 pt. land!

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

09-30-18 09:34 PM - Post#261718    
    In response to nychoops

Thanks for the update, nychoops. Really looking forward to seeing this class over the next 4 years. I have a lot of faith in your judgment on these things.

• nychoops Said:
Another kid I’m very familiar with and this was a poorly keep secret.I absolutely love this kids game and for the life of me have no idea why he has flown under the radar with the only knock on him being a lack of a natural position. He can shoot, is highly athletic and is fearless. The summer he played at the highest level
150 kids. I just love this signing for both parties and after his 4 years will be shocked if he’s not a star and because of his competitiveness he will be a fan favorite from day 1.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

09-30-18 09:35 PM - Post#261719    
    In response to Penndemonium

BTW, is it VERY unusual for us to have a recruiting class locked down in September? It feels like it usually takes us until February!

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
09-30-18 09:48 PM - Post#261723    
    In response to nychoops

• nychoops Said:

Welp, feeling pretty good about the answer to the whole, "can Steve recruit" question. Thanks as always for the info, and...just...wow...The expectations for 2019-20 are growing by the minute.

• Penndemonium Said:
He is definitely a much thicker guard than we normally get.

He is ripped relative to our normal skinny freshman guards.

I immediately noticed this too. It usually takes our guys 1-2 years to get their bodies in shape like that. He has a year to get even better, too.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
10-01-18 11:40 AM - Post#261740    

• Penndemonium Said:
BTW, is it VERY unusual for us to have a recruiting class locked down in September? It feels like it usually takes us until February!

It's not unusual at all to get committments in September. Many recruits make their choices prior to the Nov signing date so they can get it out of the way for their senior season. September is a logical choice as school has started, official visits can occur and coaches push for decisions as they have a pecking order of recruits they want. The late commits have been more common for Penn (Bryce Washington, Immegwu, even Max R a few years back) but not as common generally.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

10-01-18 02:57 PM - Post#261743    
    In response to PennFan10

Ah. I've been so used to the Penn cone of silence of the past - where I wouldn't know if recruits were really coming until someone spotted them on campus.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
10-01-18 03:05 PM - Post#261744    

well wait, isn't this a slightly different question? of course recruits commit in september... if not earlier.

the question, i thought, was whether we had a class wrapped up this early, or, in case there may be a person added later, whether we had so many commits so early.

And the answer has to be yes to that. we very rarely have 5 commitments before october 1. I'd rather be in this position than have the class come together in the spring. It's not that good recruits never commit late, of course some good ones do. But it sure seems like many come with "would be good if healthy" or "possible hidden gem". Would rather just have a gem.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
10-01-18 03:47 PM - Post#261746    
    In response to Jeff2sf

That's fair. It's certainly a good sign to have a sizable, talented class commit this early.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
10-01-18 09:01 PM - Post#261752    
    In response to nychoops

• nychoops Said:

Thanks as always for your insight nychoops and excited to hear! He seems like a great recruit for Penn and for him to get those numbers in EYBL on a good team (think they went 10-6), I was kind of surprised he didn’t have even higher level of interest. That said, it all works out that he is coming to Penn.

Not sure if this is the final recruit on our radar for 2019, but an exciting class. Definitely means something that we have these number and level of commits by Sept (typically you’d assume that means we did well with top targets). Great job by the staff on leveraging the return of winning tradition.

Now it’s time to get excited for season to keep winning going!

pennhoops 
Postdoc

10-02-18 10:20 AM - Post#261756    
    In response to Jeff2sf

this comes with the usual caveat of i have no special info but i doubt this class is complete.

• Jeff2sf Said:
well wait, isn't this a slightly different question? of course recruits commit in september... if not earlier.

the question, i thought, was whether we had a class wrapped up this early, or, in case there may be a person added later, whether we had so many commits so early.

And the answer has to be yes to that. we very rarely have 5 commitments before october 1. I'd rather be in this position than have the class come together in the spring. It's not that good recruits never commit late, of course some good ones do. But it sure seems like many come with "would be good if healthy" or "possible hidden gem". Would rather just have a gem.

besnoah 
Masters Student

10-02-18 11:04 AM - Post#261758    
    In response to pennhoops

Any reason why?

Based only on publicly available offer information, and the fact that they're adding 5 recruited players to replace 6 seniors, my operating assumption is they are probably on to 2020.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

10-02-18 12:01 PM - Post#261759    
    In response to Mike Porter

NYC Hoops, just wondering how you see Dingle's role on a team. The highlight videos show a guy who can shoot 3's (of course no one shows the misses), and can penetrate with some finishing ability. There were some clips of fine defensive plays, but video highlights on defense tend to mostly reveal things about shot blocking and rebounding.

- Can he be an Ivy PG in terms of being able to control the game on the ball and handle the ball through adversity?

- I saw some good ability to penetrate and dish, but couldn't tell if he is a great team QB (playmaker/coach on the floor)

- He looked very athletic by ivy standards (ripped), but didn't seem like a speedster. He seemed to use his body well. Does this seem right based on the real life eye test?

Thanks!

• Mike Porter Said:
  • nychoops Said:

Thanks as always for your insight nychoops and excited to hear! He seems like a great recruit for Penn and for him to get those numbers in EYBL on a good team (think they went 10-6), I was kind of surprised he didn’t have even higher level of interest. That said, it all works out that he is coming to Penn.

Not sure if this is the final recruit on our radar for 2019, but an exciting class. Definitely means something that we have these number and level of commits by Sept (typically you’d assume that means we did well with top targets). Great job by the staff on leveraging the return of winning tradition.

Now it’s time to get excited for season to keep winning going!

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.747 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:03 PM