Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Jean Bain leaving Columbia for HC job        (Topic#21903)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
10-03-18 10:23 PM - Post#261883    

Nothing stays the same. I just read in the Columbia thread that former Big Green asst Coach Jean Bain took a HC job at another school. I believe he was strong on the recruiting side so that’s gotta be a loss for the lions.
"...no excuses - only results!”

Joe.Yemly 
Freshman

Reg: 03-08-17
Re: Jean Bain leaving Columbia for HC job
10-09-18 09:04 PM - Post#262323    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Jean was probably the biggest loss from the firing of Cormier. I know it wouldn't have made sense to promote him, as that's not how this business works, but I think he would have done a great job as the head coach at Dartmouth. Happy to see him get a shot. Who knows, we could see him in the Ivy League some day if he does well at Brandeis. Good luck to him!

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Jean Bain leaving Columbia for HC job
10-10-18 11:40 AM - Post#262353    
    In response to Joe.Yemly

I still cannot comprehend why Dartmouth fired Cormier right when he was poised to win....and after years when people could see that he probably was the best floor coach in the league. Just another AD who wanted her own guy, whether or not it made basketball sense.

Joe.Yemly 
Freshman

10-10-18 03:58 PM - Post#262367    
    In response to palestra38

I guess the simple answer is that if he's the best coach, he obviously couldn't recruit well enough to win. I don't agree with that (Mitola, Maldunas, Boehm, Boudreaux were all quite good players), but that's partially what must have gone through the AD's head.

It was no secret that coach Cormier was not a push over with the administration. I agree, it's likely Sheehy just wanted his own guy. Sadly, looks like things aren't progressing in the right direction. Hoping I'm wrong though.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
10-10-18 04:03 PM - Post#262369    
    In response to Joe.Yemly

I spoke to Cormier at the Penn scrimmage after he was fired and it was his belief that he was terminated because he had a good chance of winning that year with his returning players and then he would be safe. Dartmouth is not an easy place to win---it is up against bigger schools in places easier to recruit for basketball. To cut him loose with the kind of young talent he had was shortsighted, in my opinion. I think Brown now is in a similar position to where Cormier was but they have given their coach enough rope to bring in some talent that will make them a threat this year and next.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
10-10-18 07:56 PM - Post#262383    
    In response to palestra38

This always struck me as a situation similar to the Bilsky-Dunphy relationship: an AD with a fragile ego pushes out a coach who intimidates and overshadows him. In both cases a shortsighted move that worked out very badly.

Joe.Yemly 
Freshman

10-10-18 08:03 PM - Post#262384    
    In response to Silver Maple

I'm not ready to call the move a bad one yet, but it's certainly not a good one yet either. LOL...

The difference with Bilsky-Dunphy is that Dunph was winning. Cormier not so much (although by Dartmouth standards he looked like John Wooden!!).

Here's hoping McLaughlin can get the most out of the guys this year. And maybe the new assistant coaches can bring a nice change of pace. Will be fun to watch

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
Jean Bain leaving Columbia for HC job
10-10-18 08:15 PM - Post#262385    
    In response to Joe.Yemly

I'm not ready to predict that Dartmouth will be fun to watch this season, but I certainly hope they are.

I agree that we can't yet say if firing Cormier was clearly a bad move. OTOH, just when you think that pushing out Dunphy can't look any worse....

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.283 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:07 PM