Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: City of Basketball Love?        (Topic#21961)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
City of Basketball Love?
10-18-18 05:16 PM - Post#263003    
    In response to Silver Maple

I am in agreement with everyone here in praising all of your hard and amazing work, Josh, over these last six years.

I can share some of your feelings - While not in the journalism field, I had to close a small health care office I owned many years ago. It didn't work because I had limited clinical experience, at that time, and even more limited business skills. It was certainly a humbling experience that made me question a lot of things about myself and my career.

I was able to figure out what to do next by being honest about my strengths, weaknesses and interests, as well as my short and long term goals with friends, family and professionals. It took a time to put things into action, but it eventually worked out.

You have a tremendous gift with your writing, Josh, and an incredible passion for basketball. The main thing I can suggest is to reach out to those people closest to you to help figure out where you want to go next. If that doesn't help, reaching out for professional help is a consideration. It is understandable to want to withdraw, but it is better to keep your connections strong and rely on those who mean the most to you.

If I can put a Penn-centric idea out there - perhaps Professor Angela Duckworth, who writes and lectures on the concept of grit, perseverance and success can be of some help.

Here is her TED Talk -
https://www.ted.com/talks/angela_lee_duck worth_gri...

You have a lot of supporters on this site, so please feel free to reach out here whenever you need an bit of an ego boost or any suggestions.

Edited by rbg on 10-18-18 05:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-18-18 07:11 PM - Post#263005    
    In response to rbg

Amen. Providence is a good BB town. but not in the same class as Philadelphia . I wish we had a Josh ‘

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
City of Basketball Love?
10-18-18 07:55 PM - Post#263009    
    In response to Old Bear

Josh:

Right now, as others have mentioned, your health should be your number one concern. The other stuff can wait.

You have already taken a giant step in that direction by speaking openly about your health.

My sister, who has had her share of mental health issues in her life, including being hospitalized on multiple occasions, has devoted the past decade of her life to founding an organization that aims to eliminate the stigma of mental health and raise general awareness in the larger community.

Feel free to PM me for more details if you like.

Good luck.

Edited by penn nation on 10-18-18 07:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jay O 
Masters Student

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-16-09
10-20-18 11:22 AM - Post#263104    
    In response to penn nation

Unsuccessful venture alum here too—it's a difficult emotional place to be where it's hard not to wonder "what if?" all the time. Some probably-not-helpful-now- but-comforting-when-you'r e-ready news? You're not alone, here on this site, in the local Philly community, and beyond. There's no stigma in putting yourself out there, working hard for something you believe in, and having it not work out as planned. I hope you're proud of the work you were able to accomplish—this community certainly is.

Josh, I enjoyed meeting you a few years back at a game, chatting about Jerome Allen's departure. I wish you all the best and echo rbg's sentiment above: you're always actively welcome here. You have lots of fans in this forum!

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
12-11-18 11:51 PM - Post#268739    
    In response to Jay O

Josh, I navigated over to your twitter page because I wanted your thoughts on tonight.

You are just way too hard on yourself for CoBL shutting down. I wish you were as kind to yourself as you were giving to others.

I also saw a note on Mike James' twitter feed when the shutdown occurred. If you can impress him with your coverage, I think you were on the right track.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.667 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:58 AM