Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Red and Blue Scrimmage        (Topic#21962)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
10-20-18 06:43 PM - Post#263126    
    In response to SomeGuy

Of those 3, only Silpe is a pure PG. In many ways the other two can be more effective off the ball; although we all assume Woods will be bringing it up most of the time. I think PG is the one position on the floor (aside from AJ) where this team is most vulnerable to injuries and foul trouble.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
10-20-18 09:46 PM - Post#263130    
    In response to Streamers

Interesting to see your comments about Woods because he didn’t show up in stats they put out on Twitter. Neither did Simmons, Washington or Scott, all of which I was hoping we’d see time and production from this year.

Also wondering about Washington because Donahue has praised him on more than one occasions and particularly said he was a good standstill shooter. Hopefully just an off day.

Like what we are hearing about Wang and by the stats looked like Goodman did well which we’ll need if he is starting.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
10-20-18 10:21 PM - Post#263131    
    In response to Mike Porter

Washington will definitely be in the rotation early.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
10-20-18 10:36 PM - Post#263134    
    In response to PennFan10

With all due respect PF10 (and I mean that - you have been proven right nore often than not) it’s hard to imagine Washington being worked into the rotation early after what we saw today. Granted, it’s just one day. He may be killing it in practice and the other scrimmages.

What’s your take on Imegwu? And any projections on Hamilton?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

10-21-18 12:28 AM - Post#263136    
    In response to Streamers

Well Washington started against Bucknell. I would put very little stock into what we saw today. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t part of the rotation early this season.

Immegwu has skills but doesn’t know what he’s doing yet. He doesn’t know the plays or the defensive rotations. He shoots it well but he was lost out there today. Hamilton is an enigma. I have no idea why he doesnt play more.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
10-21-18 08:23 AM - Post#263140    
    In response to PennFan10

After my experience last year with Eddie Scott, I’ve learned not to get too excited about what we see (or not) in the R&B. Imegwu may not be close to ready yet, but he showed enough for me to at least keep an eye on him as a prospect. As for Hamilton, I’ve always been amazed that he has not been more of a contributor, but he really looked dialed in yesterday. If he gets a lunch pail or two, we may be talking about him here a lot more.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
10-21-18 10:19 AM - Post#263146    
    In response to Streamers

Refresh my memory please— what happened with Scott in last year’s scrimmage?

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
10-21-18 11:43 AM - Post#263148    
    In response to Streamers

Dialed in as in shooting well? That would probably start to answer some of the question. Part of why he doesn’t play more is likely the .315 shooting percentage in over 300 lifetime minutes. He’s struggled at times on the defensive end as well, though the staff clearly sees ability there because he did draw some tough defensive assignments (usually for short stretches) as a soph.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
10-21-18 12:02 PM - Post#263150    
    In response to Silver Maple

Personal miss on my part - I wrote Scott down after watching him at the R&B despite the positive comments from others.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
10-21-18 12:12 PM - Post#263153    
    In response to SomeGuy

I have not seen the complete stat sheet but Tyler hit some shots, looked really confident on both ends and had one spectacular block. His overall athleticism remains impressive and I'm optimistic that he has matured enough at this point make the right decisions with the ball and knowing where he needs to be on the court at any given time.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
10-21-18 12:22 PM - Post#263154    
    In response to Streamers

Michael Wang, Michael Wang, Michael Wang
He had me from the minute he came out wearing a CHINA tshirt in warmups, points, rebounds, passes, sweet shot
Felt like I was seeing Ben Simmons with a shot!

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
10-21-18 01:35 PM - Post#263159    
    In response to mbaprof

It sounds like this year has some aspects of last year - when our potential rotation and roles were utterly confusing we had a wide range of players to potentially fill spots, with none clearly distinguished.

There doesn't seem to be much separating players like Washington, Hamilton, Silpe, Goodman, Scott, Simmons, Imegwu, etc. in getting a rotation spot.

It looks like we're headed for another year of musical chairs. It took quite a while last year until Wood got a solid spot in the rotation.

SomeGuy 
Professor

10-21-18 02:15 PM - Post#263161    
    In response to Streamers

With Hamilton, I am curious whether or not he plays within the offense/Defense — he doesn’t necessarily look like he freelances. He’s got the super low usage rate, which could indicate he is operating outside the offense, but also could just mean he operates within it and doesn’t get a lot of looks out of it. In the past, he has been physically beaten on defense a lot. He looks pretty good doing it because of his eye test athleticism, but it may actually be a physical limitation rather than a mental one.

Happy to be wrong on this, but I don’t think he plays much barring injury.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

10-21-18 04:05 PM - Post#263165    
    In response to SomeGuy

I think the 4 returning starters are locks to play 20-30 each. Then I think we will see Silpe and Goodman a lot at guard and Wang and Washington a lot as frosh. That’s 8 who will get the bulk of the minutes. Only others are Jarrod, Kuba and Eddie. Those are your rotation guys and the only question left is how much those last 3 play and how often.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
10-21-18 04:31 PM - Post#263166    
    In response to PennFan10

I think you could be overestimating minutes for Silpe and underestimating for Scott. But that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

SomeGuy 
Professor

10-21-18 04:42 PM - Post#263167    
    In response to PennFan10

Still think Donahue plays if healthy. He was first guard off the bench against Bucknell. Besides that, I think you’re exactly right.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
10-22-18 12:21 AM - Post#263180    
    In response to Streamers

Did Wang match up against Brodeur or Rothschild during the R&B? If so, did he look like he could physically hold his own against them? That will be a key to his Freshman PT. If he is solid on defense and rebounding, he is a lock for playing time. Otherwise he is in a toss up with Simmons, Scott, and maybe some others.

• Streamers Said:
  • PennFan10 Said:
I don’t think you will miss much that isn’t expected in the annual Freshmen-Fest. In fact I could probably write the script for how this will play out right now. We won’t learn much and the fans of potential will blow furiously as 2 or 3 of the newcomers/younger players score 20+.

OK - I'll prove you right I guess

Please prefix everything I'm about to say with the words "if today was any indication..."

-Wang is the real deal and will be in the rotation , likely as the first big off the bench. He does a lot of things very well. Shoots 3, run the floor (often with the ball), rebounds pretty well and he passes with court presence you rarely see in a freshman. He's also big enough that he will not get pushed around.

-Washington has skills but is VERY raw. He will have to show a lot more in practice than he showed today, especially on defense and with his shot, to see any material PT before 2019. Ray Jerome looked far more ready to be the depth at PG.

-Imegwu may be a mirage, but he does not look or play like a frosh. He was under my radar. Not anymore.

-AJ can score on his own team at will.

-Devon and Tyler stood out with their respective strengths. They are both healthy and make this team very versatile and give SD depth and options to create match-up advantages.

-Nobody could defend Woods 1-1. Silpe tried unsuccessfully; and he has improved on D but his shot was not falling at the other end. He is what he is, but Penn will need him for what he does do well.

-Kuba can shoot it. He may fill in part of what we miss from Caleb Wood.

-Eddie Scott is back, a bit bigger and stronger. I think he gets serious PT at the 3, especially if Betley is not 100% when the real games begin (although everyone I spoke to thinks he will be OK and there was no indication from looking at him as to what the issue is.)

-Jarrod looks about the same. The refs were letting him play. Max got long breaks which he needed from trying to front AJ in the post.

-You can't miss Mark Jackson when he is out there. His man-bun nearly scrapes the net from underneath and he's hard to stop on those rare occasions when he got the ball down low, but that did not happen often and he looked a bit lost on the other end.

- If anyone was looking for improvement at the FT line, they were disappointed.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-22-18 08:23 AM - Post#263184    
    In response to Penndemonium

The DP has a write-up on the Red & Blue Scrimmage. They highlight the performances of Michael Wang, and Dev Goodman for the men, as well as Eleah Parker, Ashley Russell and first-year Mia Lakstigala for the women.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2018/10/penn- womens-...

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
10-22-18 09:04 AM - Post#263186    
    In response to rbg

I think the DP article described Wang pretty well. It highlights his passing ability which was very much in evidence on Saturday. He is pretty good off the boards as well. As to his defense, let’s just say nobody was stopping AJ and Max was not all that involved in the offense when he was on the floor. The kid is plenty strong enough already to hang with those guys but his footwork is not there yet. If he has a real post-up game, I don’t remember seeing it.

One thing that is hard to tell from the scrimmage is how foul prone anyone is as they weren’t exactly calling them close.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

10-22-18 09:49 AM - Post#263199    
    In response to Streamers

Wang was on the Blue team with Max, Bryce, Jake, Jarrod, etc. Max and AJ guarded each other. Wang guarded either Hamilton or Eddie Scott when he was on the floor. I think they are looking at Wang in the Caleb Wood role and as a perimeter player. There has been some rotations with AJ, Wang and Max on the floor. That is contingent on Wang being able to guard more effectively than he is currently.

Wang is not currently viewed as a big, he is being used as a wing.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.224 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:45 AM