Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: New Assistant Coach Hire        (Topic#21963)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-19-18 09:21 AM - Post#263028    

Steve Ongley has been hired as an assistant coach, following Jean Bain moving to Brandeis.

https://gocolumbialions.com/news/2018/10/18/mens- b...

Ongley was an assistant coach at Colby College from 2014-2018. The Lions announcement mentions that he was most recently the video coordinator at Boston University. It appears from his resume that he started that job this September.

From the Columbia press release:
- In a short stint with the Terriers, Ongley filmed practices and organized scouting videos for the staff and was the social media coordinator and marketing liaison.

While with Colby, he was the program's recruiting coordinator and responsible for scheduling. Ongley worked with the team's forwards and centers and served as the defensive coordinator. -

From the announcement of his hiring at Colby, it does seem he has some connection to the Ivy League:

https://hoopdirt.com/colby-college-hires-a ssistant...

- During his time coaching at Daniel Hand (High School, in CT), Ongley worked at Yale University in Academic Computing Services and also was a member of the Daniel Hand Special Education Department. -

Billy Hoyle 
Freshman

Loc: Roar-ee's Lair
Reg: 12-17-14
10-19-18 06:23 PM - Post#263074    
    In response to rbg

well, I guess at this point the assistant pickings are slim.

No "J" name. That's a change.
I can hear Jimi!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
10-21-18 09:45 AM - Post#263143    
    In response to Billy Hoyle

"Slim pickings" are now, and unfortunately so, the operative words for this program.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
10-22-18 11:25 AM - Post#263209    
    In response to AntiUngvar

What an abysmally stupid thing to write. Have you met the new assistant? Do you know how knowledgeable he is or how well he knows how to teach? How he presents for purposes of recruiting? How well he interacts with the rest of the staff and a college administration? I don't, but am interested in seeing/finding out over the season. Then I might have an opinion.

I suspect you too know nothing about him, but it's so much fun to be able to pretend to be superior in one's judgments, isn't it?

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

10-22-18 02:12 PM - Post#263237    
    In response to Dr. V

The terminology was coined by the gentleman who wrote in before me; perhaps you're directing (or should be) your snide remark to him. Apparently, you don't even know what Mr. Ongley's correct title or job description is- why not go enlighten yourself about it?

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

10-22-18 05:35 PM - Post#263271    

Slim pickings, indeed! And once you look past Gerald Ungvar and his partner in perversion, Dr. Vainglorious, there's practically zero interest in Columbia men's basketball. So sad...

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
New Assistant Coach Hire
10-22-18 06:14 PM - Post#263276    

Listen-- this isn't my board, and I suspect nobody cares about my opinion here, but I can't help noticing that Mr. AntiUngvar seems to manage to turn a lot of your discussions into something pretty toxic. Up to you guys, but you might want to start ignoring him. He obviously wants attention, and, like most petulant six-year-olds, he'll probably go away if he stops getting it.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

10-22-18 07:56 PM - Post#263278    
    In response to Silver Maple

SM: I DO care about your opinion-to the extent that I'll respond ALL future postings you put forth; but unfortunately, almost nobody cares about Columbia men's basketball. Consider the dearth of Columbia postings these last few months- Internetter and Chet go to the trouble of presenting information & topics for discussion: routinely, nobody acknowledges their writing. Just 1 kid's committed to play at CU next year, despite an over the top amount of athletic offers, handed out nationally. Not to mention that five student-athletes & two valued members of the basketball staff have jumped ship in the last 12 months because their tolerance of JimEngles had been tested to the max. About the only thing Engles has done is to ingratiate himself to the likes of Gerald & Vainglorious- giving them access to the players' locker room & team bench area, while encouraging them to prevaricate and consistently coverup, publicly, for him for going on 3 years now! You want to talk toxicity, consider the conduct of these two self-absorbed, bombastic bozos- one of them posting nonsense herein under the name of a young alumnus; and the other offering a tin ear & out of school aspersions, very much reminiscent of someone with no education whatsoever. I'm empathetic to the notion that none of the above may be pleasant for you; but there's objective basis and empirical evidence for all of it. Thank you, SM- BTW, my 7th birthday's on December 2nd; looking forward to continuing our communique before then.

Mike Valmas 
Freshman

Reg: 07-30-18
10-23-18 10:21 AM - Post#263313    

Go Lions!!!!

Mike Valmas 
Freshman

Reg: 07-30-18
10-23-18 01:25 PM - Post#263354    

Who is Vainglorious?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.207 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:49 AM