American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Premium
The Wire
Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: help on the way?        (Topic#2203)
PardFan98 

Reg: 01-22-06
01-22-06 06:30 PM - Post#13832    

I caught yesterday's Lehigh/Lafayette game on tv. The lack of scholarships was clearly evident in the talent level of the two teams on the court. It's really depressing to see the program struggling to compete like this for those of us who were in school back when I was when we were a Patriot League power.

I've heard rumblings of scholarships possible coming to Easton. What's the latest word on this?

PardFan98 

Re: help on the way?
01-22-06 06:31 PM - Post#13833    
    In response to PardFan98

Oh and nice forums. I don't know if you'll get the HC folks to leave their board but I think the rest of the league will love this.

penn99 
Freshman

01-22-06 07:46 PM - Post#13834    
    In response to PardFan98

i don't know but i know our fran feels that it's a ridiculous situation. he's spoken out about this repeated since he's friends with your fran. hopefully something can be worked out to level the playing field.

Hoop Time 
Sophomore
Hoop Time
Reg: 01-23-06
01-23-06 01:20 AM - Post#13835    
    In response to penn99

Fran was very cautious when asked about scholarships after the Bucknell game. I had heard he had sort of gone public on radio or TV somewhere (heard radio and Comcast pre-Penn game) about needing scholarships, so I asked him about them.

His response was basically that he didn't know if scholarships would make a difference because he has never had scholarships. Also said he just needs to be a better coach, which I think most would agree is probably not the problem in Easton.

As an aside, Corky Blake of the Express-Times mentioned in his preview of the Lehigh-Lafayette game ( http://www.pennlive.com/sports/expresstimes/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1137837848268160.xml&coll=2 ) that a working group formed by the president to study athletics had not yet completed its report. Blake said that makes it unlikely the trustees at Lafayette will consider scholarships when they meet this week.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.588 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:10 AM