Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: RIP Mik Kilgore        (Topic#22030)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-02-18 01:51 PM - Post#264062    

Philly.com just reported he passed away at 48 from a heart attack preparing to coach Girard College here. Really good player on that great Mark Macon Temple team that was edged by UNC in the Regional Final. Very sad.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: IP Mik Kilgore
11-02-18 03:05 PM - Post#264088    
    In response to palestra38

Wow, that's a shock. Yeah, he was a real good player at the end of the Macon era. It was odd how Macon came in as a freshman and added enough to a really good Temple team to get them to a #1 ranking. Then they swooned (still ranked, but generally disappointing) until the very end of the Macon era when a new batch of players including Kilgore gelled around him. Palestra38 and I went to that game at the Meadowlands together and saw Macon totally outplay King Rice, but Temple barely missed out on a trip to the Final Four The following year we went to the Duke-Kentucky East Regional Final at the Spectrum which was even better.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
Re: IP Mik Kilgore
11-02-18 04:00 PM - Post#264101    
    In response to LyleGold

I was at Penn in the era of Mark Shakin' Bacon. He had that incredible Freshman year, but you are right about the 2nd and third year. He wasn't a multidimensional player who could make others around him better. He was a really good jump-stop shooter who could get his own from downtown and the midrange.

I recall Mik being a lanky player who started out as an awkward player but whose skills matured toward his later years. RIP, Mik.

• LyleGold Said:
Wow, that's a shock. Yeah, he was a real good player at the end of the Macon era. It was odd how Macon came in as a freshman and added enough to a really good Temple team to get them to a #1 ranking. Then they swooned (still ranked, but generally disappointing) until the very end of the Macon era when a new batch of players including Kilgore gelled around him. Palestra38 and I went to that game at the Meadowlands together and saw Macon totally outplay King Rice, but Temple barely missed out on a trip to the Final Four The following year we went to the Duke-Kentucky East Regional Final at the Spectrum which was even better.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

11-03-18 09:48 AM - Post#264130    
    In response to Penndemonium

I felt for a couple of years that Macon did more to hurt his team than help it. It seemed like he was constantly scoring 20 points a game while going 8 for 30 in a close loss to UMass or Rutgers. When Chaney was challenged to explain why Macon was allowed to go one on five while his teammates stood around and watched, he defiantly shot back,"What do you want me to do? I don't have anybody else."

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-03-18 02:26 PM - Post#264141    
    In response to LyleGold

Chaney had some decent offenses, but it relied more on talented players than creative schemes. It is true that those middle years for Macon weren't the most talented - but the coach didn't help much.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
11-03-18 10:48 PM - Post#264159    
    In response to Penndemonium

Chaney was a wizard on defense and ran a principled program that helped a generation of young men. He could not, however, coach an offense. Perhaps it came from his days as a classic gunner himself.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

11-04-18 07:15 AM - Post#264172    
    In response to UPIA1968

I remember one press conference when Chaney was asked to explain how he used his big men under the basket in his offensive scheme. His response was,"You've gotta take out the garbage before you can deliver the mail." It actually seemed to make sense at the time.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-05-18 09:06 PM - Post#264342    
    In response to LyleGold

I thought the rationale for Chaney's primitive offenses was that by minimizing passing he minimized turnovers, while Temple's matchup zone created these in large numbers for the opponent. Combined with strong rebounding, they could get a lot more field-goal attempts in theory. And by not requiring much offensive finesse or skill from most of his players, he could put four athletic effort guys out there who would sell out on defense and rebounding.

The obvious flaw is that you want the marginal turnover risk to equal the marginal effective scoring gain to decide whether a pass is worth it. When the former is much lower than the latter, you're not passing enough. And at a higher level, the same thing occurs for personnel choices--a little bit of defensive sacrifice for a bigger bit of offensive gain (or a small offensive sacrifice for a big defensive gain) is something you want to do.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.216 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:50 PM