Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Marist        (Topic#22036)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
11-11-18 07:26 PM - Post#265239    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Incidentally, Verbal Commits is now showing Zach Taylor as a Columbia commit at the shooting guard position, but as was mentioned on this website last week, Taylor probably should be considered a "combo" guard or point guard. More importantly ,however, the incoming class is starting to shape up nicely with some promising players, three of whom have already committed. At least one other very promising player seems very likely to Columbia. That probably still leaves two more spots open + our known transfer center.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
11-11-18 07:27 PM - Post#265241    

Re football:There is a freshman wr/dB who is also a legitimate backcourt possibility. But it is not going to happen.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
11-11-18 07:36 PM - Post#265242    
    In response to rbg

rbg:
As per usual, you offer a lot of unbiased, unvarnished factual information. But I'd like for you, KP, CC66, Palestra38 and all of the other analytics affectionados out here to give this Marist team some real credit, too. By the time Columbia arrived in Poughkeepsie yesterday, Marist had already played its first game- last Tuesday night, against the tough Cadets at West Point. It doesn't matter that Bobby Knight's not their coach; nor that Mike Krzyzewski doesn't play for them anymore- Army teams always have tough-minded kids on the floor and on their bench; in fact, just this afternoon, West Point played Duke to basically a first half standstill in Durham. That Marist v. Army game last Tuesday was decided by a West Point made 3 at the buzzer; and if I were to ask which was the more prepared team last night - the home team, having been just been pushed to the max by West Point or the visitors team, playing their first game, while having to incorporate 4 new starters into a lineup that won barely a third of its games last season - you'd come up with the same answer as I did. And while you deride Columbia for allowing Marist to shoot 58% inside the arc and for losing the rebounding battle to West Point by 7, please note that these same Marist kids shot 65% from inside the arc at Army , and also outrebounded the Cadets by 8. Bottom line, for me: the Red Foxes ain't too shabby- analytics or no analtics!

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-11-18 08:55 PM - Post#265248    
    In response to AntiUngvar

Marist is 257 KenPom AFTER the CU game. CU is 217 AFTER the Marist game.

Not a good loss.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-11-18 09:08 PM - Post#265251    

Thanks, AntiUngvar, for your thoughtful post.

I completely agree with you that Marist is playing better than their objective ranking. I guess I was really focused on the three pointers, watching last night's game. With so many open looks, they could have certainly made more than the 12 they actually hit. In the game against Army, however, they were only 2 of 15.

Even with a solid player like Tape and a potential star in Nweke, the Lions are probably too thin in the front court to outrebound opponents or shut down the two point shooting on a consistent basis. Even with a couple of inexperienced starters, they need to improve their three point defense if they want to get into the league's top four. I had hoped that Marist would have been a team for the Lions to get some good outside stops and gain some confidence heading into next weekend's tournament.

In the end, I was just surprised that almost all of last night's comments were focused on the team's offense and the defense did not seem to be addressed.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

11-11-18 09:17 PM - Post#265252    
    In response to palestra38

I guess we can all save quite a bit of time, money and effort by paying not a bit of attention to any of these events, and just asking KP about what just happened and what will happen next. In fact, I'm starting to think that KP must have been the guy who led you to believe that there was "not a chance" the Dartmouth at Princeton football game of November 3 could possibly conclude as a low scoring event; and you, of course, believed him- until just the opposite took place.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
Marist
11-11-18 09:47 PM - Post#265255    

KP generally represents a reasonably fair estimate of probabilities. That doesn't mean an outcome never falls on the margins of the bell curve, nor in this instance, does it account for the absence of our starting center. In this circumstance, if Columbia drops four KPs, and Marist gains 9, the consequences of such a game are quite predictable.

Edited by cc66 on 11-11-18 09:47 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Re: Marist
11-11-18 10:00 PM - Post#265257    
    In response to cc66

Feel badly stating the obvious, but, at least for one night, the absence of the starting center turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the blue.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Re: Marist
11-11-18 10:56 PM - Post#265259    

I have some real news for you, 37P6, and I just hope you're in a comfortable, seated position to absorb the following: If you have the cojones to attend the next men's basketball game (Friday evening, Nov. 16, 2018, 8:30pm, at Fordham University's Rose Hill Gymnasium), don't be surprised to be met immediately upon your entry to the gym by Ungvar, with CU uniform in hand, and having him beseech you to suit up for the Blues that evening.
Better still, Chet's forever reminding us of his still usable NCAA eligibility; in fact, he missed Columbia's game played at that same Rose Hill Gymnasium during his junior undergraduate year. Believe it or not, that game was played on February 29th, 1956,with Fordham beating a Forte-less Columbia squad, 81-68. So Chet can now make up for that gap in his resume by dressing for Friday' game, and then for Saturday's game; and yet again for Sunday's game! You read that right: something truly unprecedented in the one-hundred and twenty year history of the Columbia men's basketball is about to take place in The Bronx- the Columbia team will play and complete THREE regular season games in a span of approximately forty-six hours: the CU games scheduled to tip off Friday, 8:30pm; Saturday, 6pm and Sunday at 5pm! Never happened before- Jack Rohan's NCAA tournament team played three games as part of the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden in late December, 1967, but those games were spread out over a five day period. This round robin tournament at Fordham also includes the host school, and Youngstown State and Florida International.
Chet's probably got a point when he writes that CU can't win D-1 games without players who can score at the D-1 level. But CU won't even be able to play the damn games without bodies of some/any kind! No better way I can think of for Chet to honor his alma mater than to lace em up one final time, this forthcoming weekend. When you think about it, that Fordham game of 1956, played on February 29- a date we've only seen 15 times then; so Chet will be made to feel that he's practically going back to just yesterday!
Don't want to ask KP what will happen in The Bronx next weekend; but I believe the Lions will sleep in their own beds between games and acquit themselves honorably on the court. Only sure things are that this will serve as excellent preparation for them to play the six Ivy back-to-backs and that the University will have to rely on its reinforcement unit- so, 37P6, do bring your Chuck Taylors and have your jock strap ready, and consider yourself having been duly warned!

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-12-18 12:02 AM - Post#265262    
    In response to rbg

Yes, as was generally the case last year, Columbia played well enough to win on offense. Having a little more scoring depth would help of course, but the issue is Defense, Defense, Defense.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

11-12-18 07:39 AM - Post#265266    
    In response to SomeGuy

Dear anti-Ungvar,
I was never much on defense, not even at my beloved Hackensack High. While I would be willing at my advanced stage to lace them up again, I’m not sure how my two handed set shot would fare these days.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
11-12-18 11:05 AM - Post#265283    

A take:
http://ivyhoopsonline.com/2018/11/12/columbia-c ome...
west coast fan

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

11-12-18 11:12 AM - Post#265286    
    In response to Chet Forte

Chet:
Pay no mind to that SomeGuy globalist, singing his same tired old refrain, which he's now repeated on our thread, by my count, some 37 times- last season is over! We live for the present moment- a philosophy which permits a twenty year old corpse to look as good as you do in the first place. Besides, you were the guy who just wrote something about CU needing D-1 scorers to play in D-1 games. All I know is that you scored nearly 2,000 D-1 points, without the benefit of a three point shot or the opportunity to stand on SomeGuy's head while performing a layup- that's really saying something! And not to repeat myself, at risk of sounding like SomeGuy, but you did miss that last Fordham game on Feb. 29, 1956, causing us to lose to those weird Jesuits (yes, exactly, Bret Kavanaugh's people), 81-68. You clearly owe us one Chet, and here's the perfect chance for you to make it up to CU; an show the current generation why you once were NCAA's Player of the Year.
By the way, the reasons you failed to show up at Fordham in '56 seem pretty suspicious, if you asked me: one story had it that you owed Jack Molinas some serious money, and Coach Rossini thought it would behoove you to stay away from Little Italy in The Bronx, at least until you graduated. The other story, which Spectator went with, was that you were perfectly exhausted from staying up in your dorm room the night before the game, crafting and perfecting your very first 1000--word Internet post, which was titled:
"I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE, AND IT IS MIKE SMITH!!!!"
What's the real story with that Fordham game, Chet, and will do the right thing and dress for us there on Sunday?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

11-12-18 11:51 AM - Post#265290    

I never liked the gym at Rose Hill. But here is the real story. I actually was kidnapped by a group of monks who took me to Arthur Avenue and stuffed me with Zappa da Pesci.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
11-12-18 02:28 PM - Post#265294    
    In response to Chet Forte

"Zappa da Pesci," is a fish soup, which raises the following question to AntiU, Chet Forte and anyone else that cares to respond: What fish starred in the Godfather Book and Movie? A. Tuna; B. Shark; C. Bass; D. Salmon; E. Luca; F. Whitefish. G. Unknown.

Backup Question: Who was the player that Lou Rossini went to Hackensack, NJ High School to Recruit: for Columbia: A. Chet Forte; B. Frank Thomas; C. Michael Corleone; D. Wilt Chamberlain; E. Jack Rohan; F. Charlie Brown, Sr.?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

11-12-18 02:48 PM - Post#265296    

Luca, as in Luca Brasí; sleeping with the fishes.

Me.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.172 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:40 PM