Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Premature Exclamations        (Topic#22059)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-09-18 09:41 AM - Post#264933    
    In response to Charlie Fog

Not just for AJ and Max — it also opens up Hamilton’s hard cuts to the basket, which got us a few easy buckets in the second half Tuesday.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
11-09-18 11:36 AM - Post#264946    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
My thought exactly. Not only is Wang 6-10, but he seems to have a very quick release. This should probably allow him to be an effective 3 pt shooter even if he's closely guarded.

From what I saw, it looks like he releases the ball fairly high. That'll be a nightmare for any defender shorter than 6'7" or so to defend. How many defenders are there in the Ivy who are 6'7" or taller and that mobile?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
11-09-18 12:48 PM - Post#264956    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

I think at least in theory that most athletic 3's can guard a 6'10" perimeter player. If we assume that perimeter player is Mike Wang and he's on the court with Max and AJ he can be guarded by lots of athletic wings even in our league. The key is getting him open looks within the flow of the offense, not necessarily that a 6'5" kid can't guard him. Afterall, we had 6'4" Matt Howard guarding some legit power forwards in the past.

He actually becomes more dangerous when a slower big is guarding him (and we have lots of those in our league) because he has unusually good ball handling and passing skills for a 6'10" Ivy player. He can put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop better than the typical Ivy big.

I think Steve will try to play a lot of guys tonight which is pretty usual at the beginning of the season. It will be interesting to see how he uses Mike in Ryan's absence. Will he log a lot of minutes as the 3rd big on the court. Not sure, but we'll know more tomorrow.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

11-09-18 05:47 PM - Post#264999    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
I think at least in theory that most athletic 3's can guard a 6'10" perimeter player. If we assume that perimeter player is Mike Wang and he's on the court with Max and AJ he can be guarded by lots of athletic wings even in our league. The key is getting him open looks within the flow of the offense, not necessarily that a 6'5" kid can't guard him. Afterall, we had 6'4" Matt Howard guarding some legit power forwards in the past.

He actually becomes more dangerous when a slower big is guarding him (and we have lots of those in our league) because he has unusually good ball handling and passing skills for a 6'10" Ivy player. He can put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop better than the typical Ivy big.

I think Steve will try to play a lot of guys tonight which is pretty usual at the beginning of the season. It will be interesting to see how he uses Mike in Ryan's absence. Will he log a lot of minutes as the 3rd big on the court. Not sure, but we'll know more tomorrow.

The one thing I think a shorter, quick defender could do effectively against a player like Wang would be to play basic ball denial defense. That leaves one vulnerable to back cuts, though.

I think we need to think of Wang as more of an exceptionally tall wing, rather than as another big.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-09-18 06:19 PM - Post#265002    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

I recall one sequence where Wang faded out off of a screen to get a ton of space for a long three. It was clearly a set. That told me that Penn is clearly game planning for his shot and Wang moves well enough off the ball to make it work.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

11-09-18 08:51 PM - Post#265019    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
I recall one sequence where Wang faded out off of a screen to get a ton of space for a long three. It was clearly a set. That told me that Penn is clearly game planning for his shot and Wang moves well enough off the ball to make it work.

That's exactly the sort of play design and floor spacing that has me thinking of Wang in that way.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.756 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:37 AM