Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Signing Day        (Topic#22113)
Maryland Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 04-20-18
11-30-18 10:05 AM - Post#267609    
    In response to Bison137

Why do you think the administration feels that way about 5th years? Back in the day, guys like Steve Schrader and Johnny Watson stayed for a 5th year, and that seemed to work fine for everyone.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
11-30-18 11:45 AM - Post#267635    
    In response to Maryland Bison

• Maryland Bison Said:
Why do you think the administration feels that way about 5th years? Back in the day, guys like Steve Schrader and Johnny Watson stayed for a 5th year, and that seemed to work fine for everyone.

Were they on scholarship? It could be a monetary thing.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
11-30-18 11:53 AM - Post#267637    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • Maryland Bison Said:

Nobody was on scholarship in the 80s.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
11-30-18 01:20 PM - Post#267654    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • Maryland Bison Said:

If anything, it would have been more about the financials back in the 80's when there were no squad or financial aid limits. Now, 13 scholarships are 13 scholarships. If the 5th year was a graduate year, it would even be cheaper.

FWIW, 3-5% of Bucknell graduates over the past four years have taken more than four years to complete their degrees, so it's not like there aren't other 5th-year students on campus.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-30-18 01:32 PM - Post#267660    
    In response to DoCtoR62

• DoCtoR62 Said:

FWIW, 3-5% of Bucknell graduates over the past four years have taken more than four years to complete their degrees, so it's not like there aren't other 5th-year students on campus.

But I think all of those 3-5% fall into a few categories: (a) five year engineers, or dual majors; (b) took one or more semesters off for various reasons health, family issues, etc.); or, occasionally (c) had academic issues and ended up with not enough credits.

For athletes, PL rules reqire a legitimate academic reason for a 5th year, and it appears Bucknell carries those rules to an extreme. If there is any hint that the key reason is sports participation, it seems like it is a non-starter.

Colgate, Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross, and Fordham have literally had 50+ 5th year football players over the past 15-18 years. Bucknell literally has had none. Also you may recall it took over a year to get permission for both Tyree and Fitz to get a 5th year. That didn't work out so well academically, so I am not sure we will ever see that again. Also the administration didn't cooperate in letting one of the better Bison wrestlers of all-time, Tom Sleigh, come back for a 5th year and he was forced to go elsewhere. He is now nationally ranked - but not for Bucknell. Etc.

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
11-30-18 08:02 PM - Post#267689    
    In response to Bison137

Ok now you got our curiosity going, B137.

Can you clarify what you mean re Tyree and or Fitz and not working out academically? Did one or both of them not earn their graduate degree?

Also what happened with Sleigh at Bucknell? Academics or injury issue?

And on a broad scale, does the 5th year issue get on the agenda for our new AD? Seems to me that it would, especially with our football program needing it badly IMO.

I attended a couple of West Chester U Division II football games this year and counted 25% redshirt players on all rosters that I surveyed. And WCU was 10-0 at the time.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-30-18 08:16 PM - Post#267690    
    In response to Doktore K

• Doktore K Said:
Ok now you got our curiosity going, B137.

Can you clarify what you mean re Tyree and or Fitz and not working out academically? Did one or both of them not earn their graduate degree?

Also what happened with Sleigh at Bucknell? Academics or injury issue?

And on a broad scale, does the 5th year issue get on the agenda for our new AD? Seems to me that it would, especially with our football program needing it badly IMO.

I attended a couple of West Chester U Division II football games this year and counted 25% redshirt players on all rosters that I surveyed. And WCU was 10-0 at the time.

Sleigh missed his senior year due to injury. As for the two hoops players, I don't think either one stuck around long enough to get their graduate degree. That is not unusual for PL players who get a 5th year, but some other schools don't find it to be a big deal. Also Lehigh and Boston U obviously have a lot more master's programs to choose from.

Bison7882 
Junior
Bison7882
Reg: 11-24-13
12-01-18 11:15 AM - Post#267705    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
No idea. But that can't be good. The long delay in the press release suggests that there was some issue that was not immediately resolved. Had he told them he was not coming during the signing period, they could have gone ahead with the release you are seeing now.

What is confusing is that a picture of his signing ceremony at the Patrick School was posted on twitter on November 21st. Either he never sent in the signed LOI or there was some other issue, perhaps with his admission. Just speculating. I suppose there is a chance that he will still end up a Bison but I am not optimistic.

Perhaps I'm grasping at straws but the timing of the Monmouth game may have something to do with this. The Twitter post said that Rice had signed his letter of intent. Maybe Bucknell didn't want to include Rice in the press release a few days before playing King Rice's team. That could be a distraction to Monmouth. There could be a separate release that will issue after this game. Why Bucknell wouldn't wait to issue a release for all four I don't know but there may have been pressure for a release. We were discussing it on this thread. While I'm generally not an optimist, this is a plausible explanation for otherwise inconsistent facts.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
12-01-18 02:31 PM - Post#267714    
    In response to Bison137

I just talked to Doug and he said that John Terry told him that Rice is still coming here next year and that he doesn’t know why he wasn’t on the press release. Alex is here today at the game.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.23 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:21 AM