Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 9 of 10 « First<78910
Username Post: UNI Game Thread        (Topic#22130)
Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-16-18 09:04 PM - Post#266065    
    In response to Quakers03

5-0 will be heavy lift indeed.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
11-16-18 09:33 PM - Post#266072    
    In response to Silver Maple

True... But I believe in Steve!!

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
11-16-18 09:42 PM - Post#266073    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
Talk about knowing how to make halftime adjustments:

1st Half FG% Penn: 38.2
2nd Half FG% Penn: 69.6
1st Half 3pt% Penn: 33.3
2nd Half 3pt% Penn: 60.0

1st Half FG% UNI: 58.3
2nd Half FG% UNI: 38.9
1st Half 3pt% UNI: 33.3
2nd Half 3pt% UNI: 0.0

I continue to believe in Steve.

This is an excellent point... Toward the end of the first half, the announcer said something like... "UNI is on pace to score over 80 points, and UNI is (something like) 86-6 when UNI scores more than 80 points.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
Reg: 11-21-04
11-16-18 09:59 PM - Post#266076    
    In response to Cvonvorys

Just got back from work. Is there any way to see a replay?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
11-16-18 10:01 PM - Post#266077    
    In response to Cvonvorys

It’s so nice to win one of these. This is exactly the sort of game that would tease us in the past.

After Betley went down, we were all wondering where the 3s would come from. Now we know.

This is, like last year, a tough team to scheme against in the sense that Devon joins Woods and AJ as guys who can step up and carry the weight when the others are shut down.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
UNI Game Thread
11-16-18 10:55 PM - Post#266091    
    In response to Penn7277

You can see the replay but have to pay the $30 monthly fee for FloSports. They already have replay video up. Totally worth it by the way. That was a nail biter until the end but a lot of fun. Very good win and let’s hope the goes can go out and have some fun against Kansas St! My hats off to Coach Donahue and staff.

I have to say there was a lot to be impressed by from folks like Goodman, but perhaps most surprising is Washington’s 3 point shot as a frosh - super smooth and he looks very confident in it. At the moment, even more confident than Wang does in his, and that’s the player I expected to be a shooter right away, whereas I expected Washington to be more of a slasher based on highlight reel from HS.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
Re: UNI Game Thread
11-16-18 11:51 PM - Post#266096    
    In response to Mike Porter

Last year with the foul trouble to the bigs we probably lose this game. Even at the end last year Penn had but six front-line players unless you count a streaky Deve Goodman. This year Penn has gotten good production from all five starters plus Wang, Washington, Hamilton and Simmons.

Of course, the real revelation is Dev Goodman. He still has too many turnovers but is otherwise playing the best point guard we have seen since Rosen. It was clear his first two years that he had the quickness to be special, if only he learned to play under control and hit his threes.

Last year we saw strong development in Max, Wood and Foreman. This year we see it in Dev, Woods and Silpe. It looks more and more like Steve D is something very special. Of course, anyone who could take Cornell to the Sweet 16 must have something. I laugh at the memory four years ago of the commentary qualifying that achievement as more due to weak competition than coaching.

Well, now Penn has a strong pipeline of recruits, real improvement of incumbents and a team that knows how to play smart and together. I suppose K-state is salivating over those rebounding numbers from tonight. They are in for a big surprise if they take this team lightly.

But I suppose we should just mail in an eight and six Ivy record, good enough for the last seed in the tournament. No way Penn can compete with Harvard, Yale, and Princeton!

One more thought. The next incoming Freshman class is already highly touted. Consider that the incoming talent broadly defined will include Betley and Jelani Williams. Whatever more lovely surprises we get this year, next year should be even better.

it is so much fun to be optimistic.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: UNI Game Thread
11-17-18 12:28 AM - Post#266098    
    In response to UPIA1968

Another game where our strengths manage to overwhelm our weaknesses. Just a delight to see after the years of darkness where our weaknesses always seemed amplified. What I keep seeing in these games is that you don’t have to be perfect — just better than the opponent. We got doubled up on the rebounds, struggled at the line, and had foul trouble. So what. We forced a bunch of turnovers and shot the lights out in the second half.

Interesting that in year four we are finally looking like a traditional Donahue team on offense. There will be a bad shooting night eventually, but this is fun.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
11-17-18 02:24 AM - Post#266105    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Always enjoy reading the losing team's message board (won't do it of course when we lose)

Hey, give 'em credit:

1.) People actually sympathetic about our travel troubles and glad that everyone made it safely.
2.) No stupid nerd stereotypes or "How can we be losing to an Ivy team?" comments.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
11-17-18 05:57 AM - Post#266106    
    In response to dperry

Final game on Monday will be against either Missouri, who survived a close one against Kennesaw St., or Oregon State, who won by 5 against Old Dominion.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-17-18 08:23 AM - Post#266111    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:
  • palestra38 Said:
Always enjoy reading the losing team's message board (won't do it of course when we lose)

Hey, give 'em credit:

1.) People actually sympathetic about our travel troubles and glad that everyone made it safely.
2.) No stupid nerd stereotypes or "How can we be losing to an Ivy team?" comments.

It’s particularly fun to read other Big 5 teams’ message boards when we beat one of them. For those folks, losing to Penn is just about the worst catastrophe imaginable. There’s much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments when it happens.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
11-17-18 10:55 AM - Post#266115    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
How in the WORLD did you catch the WXPN feed????? I spent way too much time trying to do that. Instead I now have way too many Northern Iowa commercials stuck in my head.

Just another feel-good win. Sure, we won't have so many turnovers given to us each night and every team wont go 0 for the 2nd half from 3, but we overcame brutal officials, awful travel, and got another close and late win. To see Bryce and Dev hit from 3 like that really can be a season changing improvement. I am just so proud of these guys and man is it nice to know that we have a coach who can not only adapt, but has the entire team buying in. It's just fun to watch. The UNI announcers kept harping on our experience. That's Steve helping to make them look experienced.

There was a link on the game article page at pennathletics.com. Opened an audio player, and I was able to listen from start to finish.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-17-18 12:19 PM - Post#266120    
    In response to Quakers03

Maybe the author of this 6 part Mid-Major Madness article on Cinderella runs to the Final Four (& it’s relationship to the present Penn team) which was written this summer & posted on this board in August, was on to something:

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/7/11/17555884...

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-17-18 08:07 PM - Post#266144    
    In response to rbg

Nice reading this thread tonight.

Already turning out to be one of the more pleasantly surprising teams in recent memory. Team has a lot of heart and is mentally strong.

The K State game will be a good experience--might be the best team we'll play all year, with apologies to another Wildcat team from the Philly area.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
11-17-18 11:14 PM - Post#266176    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
Nice reading this thread tonight.

Already turning out to be one of the more pleasantly surprising teams in recent memory. Team has a lot of heart and is mentally strong.

The K State game will be a good experience--might be the best team we'll play all year, with apologies to another Wildcat team from the Philly area.

The local Wildcats have been looking pretty tame. Michigan destroyed them at home earlier in the week, and they lost another home game tonight, in overtime to Furman. Furman!

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-17-18 11:49 PM - Post#266195    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Furman already took down another Final Four team from last year (Loyola)

palestra38 
Professor

11-18-18 08:30 AM - Post#266213    
    In response to penn nation

Now that's a fond memory for me---I called a loss by Penn (not the fond part) at Furman on Jan 4, 1977 from a booth overhanging the floor. There was a step down off the court. Got reffed beyond belief.Just look at that out of conference schedule for that team, though! https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/penns...

As far as Nova is concerned, they lost just about everyone and will take some time to put it back together. We have them at home this year, so it may be a historical opportunity for Penn.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
11-18-18 09:53 AM - Post#266223    
    In response to palestra38

What stands out for me on that schedule is that they didn’t start playing until December. Seems like every year we start earlier. Until recently, our first game was last football (Cornell) weekend.

Speaking of which, this year’s Princeton team is awfully good. Our guys fought hard but were overmatched.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
11-18-18 02:04 PM - Post#266241    
    In response to Streamers

It's a disgrace that their season ended yesterday. An absolute disgrace.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
11-18-18 08:57 PM - Post#266283    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
It's a disgrace that their season ended yesterday. An absolute disgrace.

But that was done for the best of reasons! So that the highlight of the Ivy League season would be a Harvard player taunting a Yale player on ESPN2!

Page 9 of 10 « First<78910
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.226 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:51 AM