Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Memphis        (Topic#22139)
Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-19-18 05:00 PM - Post#266468    
    In response to SRP

I also love the music he wrote for Appalachian Spring.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
11-19-18 06:04 PM - Post#266482    
    In response to Silver Maple

Just curious: Are there NO Yale basketball fans anywhere on earth? Or is there some other online forum teeming with them and we're just missing out? I hope it's the latter, as James Jones deserves some support.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Memphis
11-19-18 10:24 PM - Post#266560    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

It would be nice indeed if an IL team has a breakout season as the league could use a shot in the arm -- Yale is a possibility this year and Harvard next year as you suggest. Although very early in the season, IL teams continue to lose to top 100 teams like prior years. Several of the games are close but being close at the end of the day does not count.

The game against Memphis was emblematic as to what happens time and time again, year and year again. The better IL teams play competitively but just do not close games out. Maybe Yale or some other team wins a few of these games in the near future but the chain has not yet been broken.

We keep hearing that there will be a break through and I do believe that the league is getting better but expectations seem to outrun reality, won/loss records against quality competition. It always seems that the other team hits their shots when it counts or IL teams turn the ball over. IL teams have injuries yet quality opponents overcome injuries.

Hopefully, brighter days are truly ahead of us.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-19-18 11:11 PM - Post#266562    
    In response to bradley

Interesting observations. We should keep in mind the fact that Ivy squads usually get off to later starts than big conference teams. Likely less summer work as well. Remember, teams like Kansas actually represented our country in summer tournaments while our kids are interning for Google.

In recent history the better Ivy squads seemed like puzzles that came together just in time to play a great Round of 64 game.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
11-20-18 01:24 PM - Post#266648    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
Just curious: Are there NO Yale basketball fans anywhere on earth? Or is there some other online forum teeming with them and we're just missing out? I hope it's the latter, as James Jones deserves some support.

Bueller? Anyone?

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-20-18 03:45 PM - Post#266666    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Dusted off some of the code, because this is interesting to me and doesn't really fit my eye. I thought we were having a pretty impressive non-conf campaign especially considering how short-handed many of the teams are.

Right now, we're having our second-most successful November this decade (avg. game score 47.4 - i.e. in our average game, the league is playing like a .474 pythag team or about 175th nationally). Last year that number was 42.7 and our worst ever November was 36.8 (2013-14).

Four teams have a game score game of 89 or better (Yale, Cornell, Penn and Brown) and there have been nine games with a game score of 66 (~Top 100 in rankings) or better:

Yale (2): N-Cal (92); @Memphis (66)
Penn (2): vs. Lafayette (90); N-UNI (76)
Harvard (2): @UMass (75); @URI (66)
Cornell: @NJIT (90)
Brown: vs. Army (89)
Dartmouth: @Davidson (66)

Yale's average game score thus far is 79, which is 12th best for any team-month this decade. Harvard is at 63 and Penn is at 62 (both Top 50). Dartmouth (yes, DARTMOUTH) is at 54. Princeton and Columbia are having bottom 20 team-months this decade, and that should change for Princeton at the very least as it gets Cannady and Llewellyn back and plays more than one D1 game.

Yes, the league is without a Tier I or Tier II win thus far (though GMU or UMass could end up getting there). And yes, it blew three opportunities in the final seconds for clear Tier II and possibly Tier I wins (@Davidson, @Memphis and @URI). But the league's Top 3 teams have a combined 12 Tier I and II non-conf opportunities left and Princeton, Brown, Cornell and Dartmouth add another 14 more. The league is playing really well right now and should claim a handful of those scalps (especially if it gets healthy sooner rather than later!).

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-21-18 10:52 PM - Post#266758    
    In response to mrjames

Princeton laid an absolute egg tonight to a pretty bad team at home.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-21-18 10:59 PM - Post#266759    
    In response to penn nation

Yeah, Jaelin’s a future pro, but hard to see how he’s saving this season. Still only two D1 games in, but, yiiiiiikes.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.19 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:22 PM