Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: USF 84 Dartmouth 65        (Topic#22174)
Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
11-24-18 09:25 PM - Post#266926    

That escalated quickly. The Big Green gave undefeated San Francisco a game for a while; they had a couple chances to tie roughly five minutes into the second half. Then the wheels came off entirely and the margin went from 3 to 28. (a 31-6 run for USF)

Two bright spots.

Freshman Taurus Samuels played well in meaningful minutes (hit a couple threes and had a great slash to the hoop).

Chris Knight more than held his own against bigger, stronger post players.

One dark spot.

Perimeter defense continues remains a serious problem. Frankie Ferrari, who fittingly was an Uber driver a couple of years ago, lit us up with mid (and long) range jumpers.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
Re: USF 84 Dartmouth 65
11-25-18 12:10 PM - Post#266971    
    In response to Greenhorn

• Greenhorn Said:
That escalated quickly.

This seems to be a theme.

Sounds like the team has to respond better when things aren't going well. We can't keep on letting 10 point leads expand to 30 point leads in five minutes...

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
11-25-18 12:26 PM - Post#266973    
    In response to Greenhorn

What good I saw was overshadowed by concerns. I know our perimeter defense is near last in the NCAA, but our offense wasn't bad. That's changing. If we can't run sets to get our shooters open we're in for a painful season.

Like greenhorn said things went south rather fast. There were no real adjustments. We got three point shots just not enough from our league leading shooters.

Sistare should have gotten more minutes, someone can decide which guard switches minutes but he can get to the rim and isn't afraid to mix it up. Plus he's shooting the three pretty well. That's an adjustment that seems easy. When your playing better schools particularly with good defense. It can't hurt to have more players who can create something for themselves or others. If our sets aren't working put guys like Sistare out there to make something. I thought Samuels did well.

Given that our primary strength is our 3pt shot we have to get more from Smith, Foye, and Barry. I'd try some combination Slachert, Samuels, Carter, and Sistare if our starting lineup isn't scoring from the perimeter. All these guys are good at attacking the basket.

The only other quizical thing was once this have was far gone, couldn't we have given more than a minute to Wade and Letoa? Shoot we could have given more minutes to the bench in general and not risked injury to any of our starters! I think you risk damaging morale if you're not giving PT to your recruits in what most call "garbage time".
"...no excuses - only results!”

hoops123 
Freshman

Reg: 12-14-16
11-25-18 08:55 PM - Post#267001    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Ok, I was at the game. In no particular order:
1. Why is Chris Knight shooting three's? He should get the ball all game on the block and go to work.
2. Can any of our guards play defense? Barry looks like someone super glued his feet to the floor. Smith? Same thing. Our guards allow penetration on almost every play! This is a recipe for disaster.If I was a team photographer, all my Dartmouth defensive pics would be the back of our jersey's as we chased the opponent making a layup.
3. We need to get much tougher as a team. We are getting pushed around. If our three's aren't falling, we're done.
4. How many uncontested shots are we going to allow at the three point line? Drive and kick offense is deadly against us.
Still think Chris Knight is the only guy holding this team together. Sistare hustles. Taurus has some good moments.
McLAUGHlin needs to pull this group together. PS Sistare did very well against Buffalo, especially in the first half, but he doesn't start at USF?? We have size but we're not using it effectively.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
11-29-18 01:52 PM - Post#267534    
    In response to hoops123

Hoops:
Somebody may be considering your fine direction, as Chris Knight's not shooting 3s today; but Marist -continuing to outperform their KP grade- is really putting it to the Green in Belfast; up 18 with only six minutes remaining in the game.

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
11-29-18 02:14 PM - Post#267539    
    In response to AntiUngvar

Dartmouth has cut the lead to 7, down 65-58 with 4 minutes to play.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=23171...

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
11-29-18 02:26 PM - Post#267542    
    In response to westcoast

And Dartmouth does not score again, falling 76-58 to Marist. Dartmouth ended up going scoreless for the final 4:27 of the game.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

11-29-18 02:32 PM - Post#267546    
    In response to westcoast

Marist may now apply for Ancient 8 consideration, since they're 2-0 versus the IL; beat the Green better than unbeaten San Francisco did a few days ago, and on a neutral court, no less!

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-29-18 02:36 PM - Post#267549    

Marist is 0-4 against everyone else. Not a good look.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

11-29-18 03:25 PM - Post#267556    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

None of those losses were at home; the loss at #22 Buffalo was by a big margin; but the other three included 4 point defeats to Stephen Austin and at West Point, and a 6 point loss at Lehigh. And let's see how they do against Brown on December 22nd.

follower 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 11-09-18
11-29-18 04:00 PM - Post#267561    

Scoreless in last 4:27 of game. AGAIN, unable to score at end of games (unless its a D3 school). The coach controls the first 4 minutes and last 4 minutes of games. The rest kind of just works out. Those first 4 and last 4 minutes are about lineups, sets, pace of play and all coaching decisions..... Again, just saying it again!!! Unfortunate and feel for the kids..

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

USF 84 Dartmouth 65
11-29-18 04:55 PM - Post#267568    
    In response to follower

follower: If you're right about any of this, the beginnings and the endings of the 2 Columbia v. Dartmouth could be entertaining to some in a perverse fashion- there won't be a coach present on either bench for the first 4 minutes nor the final 4 minutes of both of them!

Edited by AntiUngvar on 11-29-18 05:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

11-29-18 09:48 PM - Post#267586    

It was a nice season. Now that it's over what's next? Oh wait it's not over? Ugh! Losing to Marist is untenable. I feel for anyone who actually flew there to watch that game. It was a bad omen for the rest of the season.

Not scoring at the end of games is always a sure for way to lose games. I hope the boys are at least enjoying the Emerald Isle! It would be a real shame to have them go all that way,lose, and not get out of the hotel.

I allowed myself to get excited over those DIII wins SMDH. Take those wins out and our DI record is inline with previous seasons. Our moral victory loss to Buffalo and Davidson, are diminished by this loss to Marist.

There's not much to take away from this game. Our defense is porous and poor. That high scoring offense has already been schemed away from us. Our coaching has nothing to offer as an answer. Everyone knows our defense is the other teams best player in their offense. Our offense has no creativity. If a set breaks down we don't have any players who can get their own shot. If we do they're on the bench. Don't we have a kid who plays on his national team? Throw him in let's see what he can do! At some point in these second halves where nothing is working it can't hurt.

follower 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 11-09-18
11-30-18 12:38 AM - Post#267598    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

The staff has been touting the youth for going on 3 years now.... I am sure that will be the post game press release again. That excuse is getting old. As is the explanation for every loss. Excuses. Sometimes its ok to just say we weren't very good and we got to get better. We run from the truth too much. Maybe its the youth of the staff and inexperience of the staff that is at the root of the inability to complete games. Its a shame the kids have to suffer at the expense of the staff learning D1 coaching on the fly....

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

11-30-18 08:04 AM - Post#267601    
    In response to follower

Youth is fine. It's not an excuse. You play your best talent and most skilled players. Give them sets they can execute, and freedom to create when they break down.

The problem is defense really. We had one block and two steals against Marist. That doesn't cut it. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about that. Guys need to be inspired to play defense. We just don't have the coaches who can do that.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.224 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:01 AM