Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Has Brodeur Improved?        (Topic#22200)
Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-29-18 12:46 PM - Post#267508    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:

I can tell you if AJ worked nearly as hard on his game as Max or Darnell, he might well be an NBA player.

So, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what point you're making here. Are you questioning AJ Brodeur's work ethic?

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
Has Brodeur Improved?
11-29-18 12:50 PM - Post#267511    
    In response to Silver Maple

yeah, where are you going with this? i mean normally this sort of argument is applied to black athletes in favor of Scrappy Sam and really gets my antennae up. At least you're going in a novel, non-race-based direction with it.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
11-29-18 01:14 PM - Post#267518    
    In response to Jeff2sf

The point was made that AJ was already developed when he came to Penn and the implication is that he was closer to his ceiling than most others so his improvement may not be as perceptible.

I say BS. Every player can improve dramatically. That's where I am going.

The comment on work ethic doesn't mean AJ or anyone DOESN'T Have a work ethic, just the simple reality that not all work ethics are the same. Kobe Bryant combined elite talent with unparralled work ethic. It's well documented he worked harder than every other player (you can see various interviews around team USA--Lebron credits Kobe with improving his work ethic after he played with him at the Olympics)

If you were going to tier work ethics on the most recent Penn teammates I would put Darnell and Max as 1A and 1B over the last 4 years as players who have put in the most work outside of whats required. Darnell put in extra workouts in the morning and evening after practice, on off-days,whenever, he still does. Many, many times Darnell and more recently Max, were the first players in the gym and last players to leave.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

11-29-18 03:08 PM - Post#267553    
    In response to PennFan10

Sorry. I didn't realize that you have a work ethic-o-meter that you can consult to see who's really pushing himself. I will defer to your obviously superior knowledge.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
11-29-18 03:21 PM - Post#267555    

The sarcasm-meter is at 11.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

11-29-18 03:31 PM - Post#267557    
    In response to 10Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82CtZX9gmZ8

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-29-18 03:42 PM - Post#267559    
    In response to PennFan10

The question then is what would you recommend to AJ to develop his game?

For a quick hit, I'd focus on free throws and general shooting. I think as the next step learn a few more post moves. Brodeur has great moves to the hoop, but perhaps I'd have him work on turn-away step-back shots to the left and and to the right. An ability to hit those would turn him into the Dirk Nowitzki of the Ivies. Those are the moves that really made LeBron unguardable in the post.

If I were him, I'd also work on developing his body - but I'm not sure whether there is a lot more to do there or not. His motor is great, but a few more pounds of muscle would make him a beast in the paint.

I like his court awareness and effort quite a bit. I like his defense and I think strength is the one thing that would make him even more imposing on whoever he guards.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

11-29-18 03:45 PM - Post#267560    
    In response to Penndemonium

Really, AJ needs to work on his sh1tty attitude. We have empirical evidence that it's currently hovering between levels 3B and 4A, which just isn't acceptable.

(Hey AJ-- I really hope you're not reading this.)

PennFan10 
Postdoc

11-29-18 04:13 PM - Post#267562    

• Silver Maple Said:
Sorry. I didn't realize that you have a work ethic-o-meter that you can consult to see who's really pushing himself. I will defer to your obviously superior knowledge.

I never said I have more knowledge, but if my information has offended you, I'm sorry.

palestra38 
Professor

11-29-18 04:58 PM - Post#267569    
    In response to PennFan10

Well, you did give some specifics about practice and working at their games, so what is the basis you feel that Brodeur is falling short on working on his game other than the fact that his performance is not improved this year?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

11-29-18 06:00 PM - Post#267575    
    In response to palestra38

My perception, and its just mine based on information I have, is that there are very few "gym rats" on this team. That said, D1 basketball in the Ivy League requires a lot from each player (balancing BBall and School) and sometimes that's enough to be competitive. We don't have summer work outs like all other D1 programs. Gym Rats are going above and beyond what's required to get better.

I know Darnell was a classic Gym Rat. Max is cut from that cloth. Dev Goodman works pretty hard from what I hear. I think Mike Wang has the potential to be one of those guys also. If you are ever around the Palestra when practice finishes and happen to go in you will see the same 1-2 guys staying after practice to work. Or if you ever wander through Rockwell on an off day, early in the morning, on a weekend with no games, you will see the same couple guys putting up shots.

It's hard to play D1 Basketball and be successful. Ivy kids don't have the same resources and advantages of many other programs and yet they have to play brutal schedules. It's not easy.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
Has Brodeur Improved?
11-29-18 11:24 PM - Post#267594    
    In response to PennFan10

Please don't let criticism prevent you from posting thoughts like this in the future. They are appreciated. The questions are understood too, but it's obvious that you are around the program more than most and wouldn't just say something like this without basis. I think your explanation makes sense and isn't exactly criticism as much as it is observational. You can't expect everyone to have the time/willingness to be a gym rat, However, as Darnell showed, that hard work can certainly pay off. Nice to hear that Devon and Wang may be putting in the extra work too.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
11-30-18 09:18 AM - Post#267603    
    In response to Quakers03

PF10 has a point. Being a gym rat doesn't make you a great player but it does help. Some guys put in more time than others. It was the case when I was a student and could observe who showed up regularly to get in extra practice on the Hutch court reserved for the team.

I have no insight about who on the current team is a gym rat, but Dev and Antonio have added to their game based on what I've seen so far.

No surprise if Mike puts in extra effort. He has good court sense and seems to be in the right place at the right time a lot of the time, which isn't the case for most Freshmen.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-30-18 09:44 AM - Post#267606    
    In response to TheLine

I think AJ could benefit from using the backboard more. He tends to put his shots on the rim and a number roll off. Same thing goes for Max.

Having said that I think comparing certain players performance on this team with their performance on the team two years ago can be difficult. This team seems to be a better passing team and has better spacing, perhaps as a result of Max and AJ becoming better passers of the ball. One can say that certain guys are exercising better shot selection than in past years. Perhaps - but maybe it's just that better shots are available because the offense is moving the ball more effectively. Let's face it - both Max and AJ are above average passers. This wasn't always the case. What we've seen so far this year is many wide open looks from 3. They don't always go in, but the team is connecting from distance at a much higher % than in the past couple of years. And - they are doing it without Ryan Betley who is a very important piece of the puzzle and is not available this year.

My personal opinion is it is very much a factor of the improvement of each of our bigs in making the inside/outside game more effective. Now if a few of our players who are doing certain things better could only hit a higher % of FTs, things might really fall into place.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
11-30-18 10:00 AM - Post#267607    
    In response to TheLine

Although I do not always agree with PF10, his information has consistently proved to be reliable and I did not interpret his comment negatively.

I think it is stating the obvious to point out that putting in the work makes players better, and some guys have more time and motivation to do it than others. As spectators, we can see the potential for improvement and the results. I have heard over the years that some of our more talented guys who could benefit are not what we are calling ‘gym rats’, including some of our better players, and some bench warmers are. What I do know, is that since SD took over, this team works harder on fundamentals and has a hugely improved team ethic. I just wish this extended to FT shooting.

Goodman has clearly done the work. He is much better all around this year. Wang is a guy who came to with a high-level offensive skills to go with his talent. He’s also a work in progress defensively. He will get better and has a big upside at both ends. AJ, as we have seen recently, is impacted by the quality of the competition and the degree to which he is relied on to score in any given game. I don’t see him between games, but I see how hard he works during them. This group also has great seniors in Max and Jake who refuse to be outworked by anyone out there. They set a great example.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
11-30-18 11:53 AM - Post#267638    
    In response to Streamers

It was cool listening to Joe Mihalich talk on a podcast about how while they were stuck in the airport the ODU players went about their business quietly and the Penn guys were running around together having wheelchair races and the like. It all stems from the top and Steve has a great thing going.

pennsive 
Junior

11-30-18 04:27 PM - Post#267671    
    In response to Streamers

I agree that we should already be counting our lucky stars that AJ and others play their hearts out for Penn and that Steve has made this a very enjoyable team to watch. Basketball players, and every other student at Penn, have a lot to juggle outside of the special activity in which they already in the top .2 percent of the student body. Beside practices, weight training, and team travel, not to mention course loads, social life, and whatever else they may be doing at Penn, there can't be too much time left over. Sometimes we all forget what we had to forgo just to keep pace academically and socially when we were undergraduates at Penn. Anecdotally, when I was at Penn, I was friendly with one of our best players who wasn't playing because he had injured his right arm or right hand. We were talking, and I suggested that he use his down time to work on shooting with his left hand (because if I had his talent, I think, in theory, that I would want to do that-forgetting about the fact that I had quit two sports myself to focus on my studies). He chuckled and looked at me as though I had two heads. The obvious point is that we should all be grateful for what AJ and his teammates already do and not have expectations for them that we never met ourselves.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
11-30-18 05:42 PM - Post#267676    
    In response to pennsive

Agreed.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-30-18 08:20 PM - Post#267691    
    In response to Streamers

A couple of additional thoughts here. First, the level of competition impacts him, sure. But I think it is worth noting that we were significantly ahead of KState when AJ got his 2nd foul and still a little ahead when he got his third. Once he left the game, the wheels fell off. He came back in to start the second half, and my guess is that we basically played them even when he was in the game in the second half as well. Maybe Stu or somebody else has access to plus/minus stats to prove me wrong, but my guess is that we were up when AJ was on the floor, and way behind when he was out. My point is that AJ scored less (and missed a lot more) against the tougher competition, but it doesn’t matter if we are still coming out ahead.

Also, this team the last two years has probably been my favorite Penn team, and I love the passing and teamwork and grit and attitude and depth of this group. I don’t want to undermine the importance of that, or of the coaching. But it is probably meaningful that we are more or less as good as last year thus far, despite losing Bentley, Darnell, and Caleb. Literally half our core from last year. And we got our best win with Antonio sitting half the game, and Max tends to play 25 at best. The big jump for us in Pomeroy came immediately when AJ walked onto the floor as a freshman. That was the big 100 spot jump. Since then, we’ve improved more incrementally. So the truth may well be that with all of our depth there is one guy that is absolutely essential to our success — and that is AJ.

Note to the basketball gods: I am not challenging you to remove any more of our guys in order to prove (or disprove) my point. Let’s leave this hypothetical.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
12-01-18 12:18 AM - Post#267700    
    In response to SomeGuy

I suggest that it is the improvement of the other players we should be analyzing.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:30 AM