Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Miami        (Topic#22218)
Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
Miami
12-05-18 06:01 PM - Post#268146    
    In response to Charlie Fog

• Charlie Fog Said:
  • Mike Porter Said:
Where do I get what some of this guy is having? Is there an app that delivers it?!?

They are handing it out at the Palestra

Haha yes they were handing it out last night and wish I was there to get some too!

And to be clear, I was optimistic that we would give Miami a good game so I wasn’t doubting that. I was more commenting on not understanding what that dude was talking about because of his, let’s say... rather peculiar approach to the English language.

This was extra fun as my younger brother is a Miami grad.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
12-05-18 06:03 PM - Post#268147    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
I want to see Simmons improve.

I realize he didn't play last night, but I think Jarrod has shown improvement this season. Exactly how much, we don't know yet. He certainly seems to be somewhat surer of himself. Time will tell-- let's revisit this issue in 3 months.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-05-18 06:17 PM - Post#268149    
    In response to AntiUngvar

• AntiUngvar Said:
Judging by the pregame chatter, your peers may not have known this, either! Amidst all the doomsayer's, I alone mentioned (3 days before the game) that your chances of defeating Miami were outstanding.

Indeed you did. My joking aside, well played sir.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-05-18 08:14 PM - Post#268155    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
  • 10Q Said:
I want to see Simmons improve.

I realize he didn't play last night, but I think Jarrod has shown improvement this season. Exactly how much, we don't know yet. He certainly seems to be somewhat surer of himself. Time will tell-- let's revisit this issue in 3 months.

Jarrod will be an important factor at some point this season. I don't know exactly when, but he will be called on to contribute in my opinion. He has to be ready.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
12-05-18 09:58 PM - Post#268167    
    In response to PennFan10

Someone said a year or two back that Stevie's teams usually improve their 3-point shooting. Here are the numbers for the four years, old to current. Pomeroy ranks 322, 220, 173, 33. Sure the 33 is only through nine games, but this has the mark of a good shooting team. With Betley back and Wang and Washington playing big minutes next should be very strong as well.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-05-18 10:42 PM - Post#268172    
    In response to UPIA1968

I said that. Every year at every stop the team 3pt % has improved. At Cornell I think they were top 2 or 3 in the country at over 40% in the sweet 16 year. BC they improved every year to about 36% if I remember. Penn, every year we have gotten better at the arc. Who would have thought with the loss of Caleb and Sam and Darnell, we would be better at 3s this year than last.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Re: Miami
12-06-18 12:20 AM - Post#268180    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:

They need to realize that

a.) This ain't your father's Ivy league, or even your older brother's. We're not pushovers anymore (of course, a lot of other people need to realize that, too.)
b.) They didn't get into the ACC because of their basketball program. Yes, being in that league could be helpful if they got someone who could take advantage of it, but right now, they're pretty much a glorified middle-echelon team.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Edited by dperry on 12-06-18 12:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Miami
12-06-18 01:26 AM - Post#268184    
    In response to dperry

Larranaga did take a mid-major to the Final Four, so he’s not a slouch. They’ve been crippled this year by losing their best player to shoe company craziness, and have probably only been punished for that _because_ they’re not one of the elites in their conference. If Darwin Hernandez were at UNC or Duke he’d be playing already.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 12-06-18 01:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-06-18 09:21 AM - Post#268190    
    In response to Chip Bayers

The Miami board was respectful for the most part - far more so than other boards I've waded into.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
12-06-18 11:15 AM - Post#268193    
    In response to TheLine

If there was any good news about this night, it was that the game only streamed on ESPN’s subscription-based plus service and much of the fanbase missed having to watch the game.

A late run put UM within four points, 77-73 with 3:23 to play.

But that was the closest the Canes would get.

Penn pulled back ahead to win 89-75. The night represented all that has gone wrong during this now four game losing streak, dating back to the final of the Wooden Legacy Tournament, and extending through two losses to Ivy League opponents.

The Quaker offense flew around and attacked the Canes on all fronts. Guards Devin Goodman and Jake Slipe frustrated Miami from long-range, going 3-5 and 3-4 on three-point shots.

AJ Brodeur was productive in the post, and was just two rebounds away from a double-double to go along with 18 points.

But the leading scorer for Penn didn’t even start, as Michael Wang had a career night off the bench, accounting for 23 of the Quaker’s 36 bench points. The stretch forward went 9-12 on FG and an astounding 5-6 on 3FG.

One of the positive storylines for the Canes was the performance of Sam Waardenburg. Despite his poor performances lately, the forward came to life Tuesday night with a career-high 14 points.

Zach Johnson was also very good, with 17 points off the bench, proving himself to be the player fans could expect after his years at Florida Gulf Coast.

Consistency has hurt this team over the last four games, and reared its ugly head tonight as well. Chris Lykes, up and down all season, was held to just six first half points as Miami by fourteen at the break. His 10 second half points gave UM late life but not enough to get over the hump.

With just 10 assists, the Hurricanes did not put themselves in good position to be successful tonight in that regard either. For a team that wants to win by shooting and ball movement, 10 assists won’t do the job.

As final exams arrive at UM, Jim Larrañaga and his players will get a two week break to reassess their approach to this still young season. With this team’s lack of depth, the rest will be vital for the young core of players before their next game against Houston Baptist on December 19.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
12-06-18 08:03 PM - Post#268226    
    In response to 10Q

Didn't get to see the game so watching the replay tonight--first half so far and very impressed even if Miami is not what they have been the last few years. Should be a fun Ivy season and nice to be able to watch on ESPN+; including replays. I wonder how long they have the replays available?

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
Re: Miami
12-06-18 08:05 PM - Post#268227    
    In response to Chip Bayers

• Chip Bayers Said:
Larranaga did take a mid-major to the Final Four, so he’s not a slouch. They’ve been crippled this year by losing their best player to shoe company craziness, and have probably only been punished for that _because_ they’re not one of the elites in their conference. If Darwin Hernandez were at UNC or Duke he’d be playing already.

Look at what the NCAA is doing with Landers Nolley at VT--their top recruit in years; making him take the ACT again because they said it didn't match his school grades--no evidence of any cheating. They would not do that to Duke or UNC.

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.178 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:35 AM