Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Del.        (Topic#22225)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-02-18 05:17 PM - Post#267815    

First time watching Lions this year. Some great shooting and some questionable D by both. I thought Engles did the better coaching job.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-02-18 05:22 PM - Post#267817    
    In response to Old Bear

Del made 2/3 of threes, won in 2 OT's by 1 pt
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-02-18 06:55 PM - Post#267822    
    In response to internetter

We need to make some lineup adjustments. I understand that our defense is our biggest issue, but we cannot have players who cannot produce offensively get significant minutes. Hopefully all of these close games will provide some valuable lessons for the IL season.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
Re: Del.
12-02-18 07:24 PM - Post#267823    
    In response to Old Bear

O.B.:
In the interest of making a fair assessment of the beleaguered coach's work, I'd love to know exactly what words you can offer in defense of Engles as the superior game coach today. All I know is that Columbia had the lead at the half today; just as they did two Sundays ago at Fordham, and in so many other Jim Engles-coached Columbia basketball games. At the start of the second half, Delaware went on an immediate run. Engles waited till 15 minutes and 28 seconds were left on the game before calling a timeout- by then, Delaware had scored on 2 layups & 3 three pointers, and had limited Columbia to 2 made Mike Smith free throws; turning a 2 point deficit into a nine point advantage for the Blue Hens. Ultimately, just another moral victory for the Columbia kids; another loss by a razor thin margin for the team with Jim Engles supposedly on its side.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Del.
12-02-18 07:44 PM - Post#267824    
    In response to Chet Forte

So true, Chet! Tai Bibbs and Rodney Hunter both started again today, and combined to offer nothing, once again, offensively. In three games of this nascent season -against Marist , Fordham and today against Delaware- those two have gone scoreless!!! While Jake Killingsworth and Quinton Adlesh combined for 74 minutes of action off the bench this afternoon, it did seem to take them a while to get into the flow of the game, offensively- they made only 1 three pointer between the two of them in the first half. Finally, as extraordinary as Mike Smith's play has truly been against 4 of Columbia's initial 5, Division-1, opponents, does he really need to be out there for 49 minutes, as was the the case this afternoon? If Eagles can't find a way to give #21 a couple of minutes of rest, at least in the first halves of these games, what likely chance is there of him coming up with a plan of action if Smith does reach an inevitable breaking point?

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-02-18 07:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-02-18 07:51 PM - Post#267825    
    In response to AntiUngvar

I think Tai Bibbs has real offensive potential and cannot understand the lack of production.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-02-18 07:58 PM - Post#267826    

Yes, I do, too. But three ZEROS put up by he and Hunter against Marist, Fordham and today/v. Delaware????? Hard to figure. I can almost see them lost in thought out there.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-02-18 08:39 PM - Post#267828    

Hunter's offensive rating today was 19! Everyone else's was north of 100.

The three pt defense is a mystery. Delaware shot 15 of 23, with an astonishing # of open shots from the corners. We shot 13-25, but until our defense improves, there is a pretty low ceiling on our chances.

While I was at the game,I did have a revealing conversation with the parent of a player. She was quite emphatic that the players really like Engles' and that whatever was happening was not his fault.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-02-18 09:24 PM - Post#267830    
    In response to cc66

66:
You want to believe the players constituting the present day team like him, then be prepared to concede that those 5 recently departed players (along with the 2 assistant coaching fatalities) most probably didn't. The kid from Vegas, Ellis, didn't get in the game today- was that about the kid's work product in practice and games; or was it about the kid's father tweeting in a manner Engles doesn't appreciate?
But popularity aside, it's absolutely INARGUABLE that Engles seems to consistently wind up on the wrong side of so many of these nail-biter games. In fact, the ONLY close one that he's been on the winning side of, recently, was the Dartmouth game at Levien last February- played against the last place team in the IL; and a game which should have realistically been won going away, and not by 3 points!!!

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-02-18 09:41 PM - Post#267831    

I don't know why Ellis wasn't in the game today. I assumed he didn't dress because he was injured. Unless you have solid information connecting what his father said to Ellis' absence, it is pretty toxic and corrosive to speculate in such a conspiratorial manner.

As for the players who left, Faulds and Hanson were roommates who, according to the parent I mentioned above, were upset about the lack of playing time. That makes sense to me, because Faulds came highly ranked and then found himself, probably because he was inexperienced and relatively slow, playing behind the comparatively unheralded Tape. I suspect, too, that Faulds and Hanson also fit into the long tradition of students from the midwest who have difficulty transitioning to NYC. Add in Meisner's distinctly separate decision that he could make decent money now as a professional basketball player in Germany, and it is clear that independent of Engles, Columbia is experiencing a perfect storm.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-02-18 10:08 PM - Post#267833    
    In response to cc66

The father's been on Twitter in a critical manner, and we've already seen it where a son's been punished for the supposed sins of the father (Ithaca, January 27, 2018). Certainly you. of all people, would have picked up any information put forth on any player injury; not to mention, that the boy, Ellis, played a solid contributory role in the most recent (before today's) two games- versus Fordham and St. Joseph's. You broach the issue of student-athletes challenged by transitioning to New York City, so I'll point out that a coach's priority must be to facilitate in that transition- he is the one person the kids and their families are rightfully placing their trust in. Also, few kids leave the University, when they're in excellent academic standing and less than 30 credits from receiving their Columbia College diploma- there's more to that departure, too, than you want to put into or words or even know about.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-02-18 10:09 PM - Post#267834    
    In response to cc66

The results have not been there, to be sure. But the issue is whether we have a talent deficit which precludes us from playing decent defense or a lack of coaching skill. One constant is our uncanny inability to defend against the three point shot.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-02-18 11:19 PM - Post#267835    

Another incredible performance by Mike Smith leading unfortunately to still another heartbreaking Columbia loss. This is indeed the preeminent feature of the Engles era and needs to stop. I don't care if the players like Engles or not, his job as head basketball coach is to build a winning program, develop the skills of the players who are already in the program, recruit and retain better players than your competitors, make the right coaching moves during the game, and at least give fans some reason to be hopeful about the short-term and long-term future. Obviously, none of that has happened yet thru year 3 of the Engles era. If there is a "talent deficit" as Chet Forte suggests, that's obviously Engles' fault and certainly not an excuse for the sad decline of the Columbia Men's Basketball Program during his tenure. Engles is just fortunate that for whatever reasons he is still the head coach at Columbia. Engles' problems are of his own making, and not the players. Hopefully, he can reverse things quickly, but if not this is going to be one dreadful season for Columbia Basketball fans

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Del.
12-03-18 01:25 AM - Post#267838    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

P6:
You and Chet know there's no talent deficit; this truth, despite the attrition rate of the past year. In simplest terms, Mike Smith gives you a kid who'll breakdown any defense. Adlesh. Barba, Killingsworth and Stef give you four outstanding 3 point shot makers. CU should not be in this mess but for Engles and the crackerjack committee that foisted him upon us!

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-03-18 01:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

internetter 
Postdoc

12-03-18 02:42 AM - Post#267842    

for what it's worth
They beat Cornell there 73-56

@ St. Peter's 78-75 win OT

Lost by 6 at MD-College Park

west coast fan

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-03-18 11:08 AM - Post#267871    

Good information to be mindful of; you're a man a good, Internetter, and I hope the kids can win a couple for you, especially. But they better show up in Ithaca looking to blow the house down like Delaware apparently did; because if the game's left in Engles's sweaty palms at the end, you're all too well aware of what will happen.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

12-03-18 12:57 PM - Post#267875    

Huge week ahead for Columbia. The Lions need to win their two home games against Colgate and Bryant and then defeat Iona at Madison Square Garden on Sunday.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-03-18 01:53 PM - Post#267885    

Giving the respect due to Columbia's roster, after losing Meisner, Faulds and Hanson it is hard not to see that there is a talent deficit. A deficit must exist compared to the contemplated returning roster. That doesn't mean that Columbia won't be competitive in many games, but certainly the depth must be suffering. Also, the 3 point shooters you mention won't defend, rebound and score inside the way you would like to be able to. When replacing Meisner with anyone on your list, Columbia has to suffer a talent deficit.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Del.
12-03-18 02:12 PM - Post#267887    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Depth is suffering, and certainly impacting defensive effort, particularly late in games (another reason to utilize available time outs). But more can be achieved with what is available. Given this current CU roster, Amaker, Steve from Penn, Mitch Henderson, Jones of Yale, et al would have more to show than 1-5; I assure you of that!

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-03-18 02:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-03-18 02:43 PM - Post#267889    

As pointed out, Columbia has 3 winnable games coming up. Best of Luck.

On the other hand, if winning those games means riding Mike Smith for 35+ minutes, the desire to win every game must be balanced with the upcoming Ivy season. Smith can’t possibly play 70-80 minutes on Fridays+Saturdays without showing some effects. Columbia has to develop other options down the roster. OOC is the time to do so.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-03-18 03:00 PM - Post#267891    

I haven't watched Columbia play, so they may already be doing this, but one approach to getting offense from a player who normally doesn't shoot (but can) is to run some practiced set plays for him early in the game, where he knows in advance that he's expected to take a specific shot. If nothing else it screws with the opponent's scouting report.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

12-03-18 03:02 PM - Post#267892    

You would think that senior guard C.J. Davis would be a terrific second option at point guard, but except for a few minutes in the St. Joseph's of Brooklyn game, he has not played at all this season. Why that is so is a complete mystery. C.J. was one of the last star players for the late great Jack Curran at Archbishop Malloy. Kyle Smith recruited him to Columbia.

internetter 
Postdoc

12-03-18 04:24 PM - Post#267894    

http://ivyhoopsonline.com/2018/12/03/what-can-c olu...

west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-03-18 05:00 PM - Post#267896    

The article posted above is modestly encouraging. But it implies that we should have changed our inbounds set with 1.9 seconds to go after Delaware having seen what we planned to do called a TO. I am disappointed that Bibbs hasn’t shown up, because I think he has talent. I agree that the author has identified the best starting lineup and that Brumant has a real upside. I also am not ready to give up on Tape.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Del.
12-03-18 05:06 PM - Post#267898    

P6: No mystery with CJ; and by the way, it's Molloy, and I don't know that he actually got to play for Jack, there, or was just recruited by him. But CJ was NOT recruited by Engles; got hurt, and fell out of favor with Engles, early on- a kid get on Engles' bad side, he tends to stay there!

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-03-18 05:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

12-03-18 05:25 PM - Post#267900    

Thanks, Internetter, for posting the excellent article by Josiah Cohen at hoopsline on the Columbia-Delaware mishap. Cohen, more than anyone, believes Columbia already has the talent to be a winning team, and it's just a matter of doing this or that. Of course, that gets you back to second guessing the coach which is easy to do under the circumstances. Cohen does just that with the suggestion that it made no sense for Engles to substitute Tape for Brumant immediately after Brumant blocked a shot. My feeling is that Engles has improved somewhat this year as a game coach, but I do not see much improvement in the rotation. And, what is he doing, if anything to get Bibbs, Ellis, Hunter and Davis going. I just one or two of those players were contributing significantly, the Lions would be the winning team that Josiah Cohen thinks they are capable of becoming. In summary, until Columbia either starts winning, or shows signs that it can win, the Head Coach is going to be criticized.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-03-18 06:18 PM - Post#267904    

P6, as far as the four players in question, I think there are different issues for each. CJ was highly touted and did a PG year: he is one of the strongest guys on the team and Kyle once said that he was recruited to play defense. What we do not know is how far back his injury may have set him. Ellis may not be ready yet for the college game. Bibb should be a really good player but something seems to hold him back when he gets into games. Hunter looks like a great athlete who can do a little of everything except shoot. He really does not have an offensive game and thus should only get limited minutes and should not start. As a senior I think we now know what he can do and cannot do, and obviously so do all of our opponents.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

12-03-18 07:39 PM - Post#267912    

Agree with your on all four players, but what exactly is holding Bibbs back and why isn't Ellis ready yet for the college game? Both of them were double digit scorers in high school so is it just a question of their playing against inferior opponents in high school, or did their high school coaches do something then that Engles is not doing now? Nearly all we have seen of Ellis were his minutes against a mediocre DIII opponent. I thought he was going to make an immediate impact at Columbia and that has not been the case. Same with Bibbs. I thought that a healthy Bibbs would start in the backcourt this year, score in double figures and be a very good defender. I haven't seen enough of him either to see what has gone wrong. Do you feel confident in Engles' ability to make these guys into the impact players we thought they would be coming out of high school? And, finally,Is Kenny Blakeney tutoring these guys now? He certainly was a great high school and college player and I have good feelings about him from afar.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Del.
12-03-18 10:40 PM - Post#267919    

P6:
My respect for you is immense; but can you define your "good feelings" about Blakeney "from afar", given the recruiting improprieties he was found guilty of, while at Harvard a decade ago? (https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2010/7/5/blak eney-league-recruiting-iv y/)
You allude to Blakeney's definitive player pedigree; and though he's bounced around as an assistant coach at a number of Division-1 schools, he's never been a head coach of any college program. Interesting, too, Mike Krzyzewski, who probably knows more about Blakeney than Blakeney, himself, has never brought him into the coaching fraternity at Duke- not even as the lowliest of Duke's bench personnel- interesting, I think! Blakeney's more than questionable; and he was just hired by a desperate man even more questionable than he.
As far as Maka Ellis is concerned, there's still no information having been presented to the public through the CU Basketball Office or Spectator claiming that the kid's injured. I know his father's active on Twitter in a manner that may be vexing to Engles. I also know that Engles has made it known to the kids and their families that he has concerns about Twitter. I ALSO know that he benched Jaron Faulds for the entire Cornell game played in Ithaca last January (in effect tanking at Cornell) because he didn't approve of some of the Twitter postings that Fauld's dad had placed. Understand that I'm not making any of the above statements gleefully; however, I do believe that people with sincere concerns about the program are deserving of some honest answers from those at the helm about the direction we're headed in.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-03-18 10:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mike Valmas 
Freshman

Reg: 07-30-18
12-04-18 09:25 AM - Post#267925    

Call Pilling and report back.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-04-18 10:46 AM - Post#267927    
    In response to Mike Valmas

Gerald:
When the University inevitably fires Engles in April, they'd be all the wiser keeping a lifeless embarrassment like yourself as removed at possible from the process of hiring a new coach. In fact, Mr. Pilling would be more than fortunate and smart to bring in a man like Tony Chiles to clean up the mess you've made.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/5/21/dunlea v...

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-04-18 03:17 PM - Post#267968    

The is a serious question: why the anti-Gerry Sherwin comments? I don’t know him but from all I can tell he is very devoted to Columbia basketball.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-04-18 03:24 PM - Post#267969    

Chet: If he's going to make ad hominem attacks against somebody, he ought to use his own name- and not that of another Columbia College alumnus- in doing so. And I'll be here to call him out on it EVERY time!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.404 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:25 PM