Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Smith        (Topic#22255)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-14-18 06:48 PM - Post#269118    
    In response to Silver Maple

Bibbs obviously is showing up at practice, or else the coaches would not be starting him. And his athleticism seems apparent. You will recall that he won the team slam dunk competition. I think something is holding him back; maybe he is afraid that he will be pulled the first time he misses an open shot. But for whatever reason he just becomes invisible in games. Maybe he has to be told to more actively look for his shot.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-14-18 10:33 PM - Post#269125    
    In response to Chet Forte

As we have said before, it's up to the coaching staff to find a way to get Bibbs going. Whatever the problem is, the coaches have to figure it out. Unless that happens, or someone else on the roster suddenly improves dramatically, I don't believe Columbia will finish higher than sixth or seventh in the Ivy League.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
12-14-18 11:19 PM - Post#269126    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

But you're not putting Columbia's fortunes all on Bibbs- correct?
BTW, CU surprised you in that Boston College game which you had as a clear defeat last week. I believe that you'll be further surprised by the light blue's showing at Rutgers next Saturday- with or without contributions from Messrs. Bibbs and Smith.
And if I'm on point about that, I believe they'll also show up strong in Evanston the following week against Northwestern; though it'd be nice to get something positive out of one or both of those boys then; the rare Columbia game being played in their home state.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-15-18 09:02 AM - Post#269136    
    In response to AntiUngvar

Bibbs would be an added bonus if he could get going. But our rotation apart from Bibbs is playing very well and should be competitive if they play as they did at BC. And it is still a young team, since Adlesh is the only senior who is a significant contributor.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-15-18 02:25 PM - Post#269151    

Saw that Princeton squeaked by Iona 85-81 with a late rally. So we have a common opponent against whom we can measure ourselves.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-15-18 09:22 PM - Post#269185    

We and Rutgers also have a common opponent; that being Fordham:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/recap?...

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-15-18 10:47 PM - Post#269191    

Yes, I'm encouraged somewhat by the Lions' effort against Boston College, but not to the point that I can see Columbia finishing higher than sixth in the Ivy League this season. Our record is lousy, we just lost out best player for the season and our head coach can't get a single point our of the star player he recruited two years ago. After all Bibbs was a terrific high player who did more than simply shoot threes. Please see one of his high school videoshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKTb44JqgRY. Engles has to get Bibbs to drive to the basket!

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
Smith
12-19-18 10:46 AM - Post#269451    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

• Columbia 37P6 Said:
Yes, I'm encouraged somewhat by the Lions' effort against Boston College, but not to the point that I can see Columbia finishing higher than sixth in the Ivy League this season. Our record is lousy, we just lost out best player for the season and our head coach can't get a single point our of the star player he recruited two years ago. After all Bibbs was a terrific high player who did more than simply shoot threes. Please see one of his high school videoshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKTb44JqgRY. Engles has to get Bibbs to drive to the basket!

I understand that Engles is trying to get Bibbs going and develop him for the future. But if we want to have any chance of salvaging this season, Engles needs to replace Bibbs with Adlesh in the starting lineup immediately.

Adlesh has always played well. I don't understand why he isn't starting, especially since he's a senior.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Re: Smith
12-19-18 11:28 AM - Post#269457    
    In response to Murph

Murph:
Excellent point; Quinton's been THE good soldier for 4 years, and this is to be his final reward!?!
If I were to try answering you, as guided simply by my better angels, I'd say the coaches views Bibbs as potentially giving the team more on the defensive end; and that it's always a benefit to get an offensive boost from your team's bench.
THEN, if I were to answer you as the cynic I most truly am, I'd say that Bibbs and Stefanini, both, made it clear to Engles by summer's end that they were due more consideration from him than was the case a year ago. I KNOW for a fact that Stefanini's dad was outraged as to the relatively limited playing role his son had last season, and felt the kid could be playing for pay in Italy at this very moment. Both Gabe and Tai are sophomores; both have other collegiate and professional options; both have leverage over Engles (that Mr. Adlesh doesn't); and both can leave at any time, as their classmates, Faulds & Hanson did last spring. and I'm sure that Engles has been been put on notice by the CU administration that he can't afford having yet another shoe to drop, if he's to continue in his coaching role- THE goal for the University here is to stagger through the basketball season without any more fallout related to additional players and/or assistant coaches leaving the program.! Ergo: your 2018-2019 Columbia Lions starting lineup- including Tai Bibbs, and minus Quinton Adlesh.
(And just because my better angels are better, doesn't mean they're always right.)

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-19-18 11:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
Smith
12-19-18 12:40 PM - Post#269469    

That's an interesting analysis. But a distinction needs to be made between Bibbs and Stefanini. I think Stefanini has earned his spot in the starting lineup. He's Columbia's second leading scorer, and scores efficiently.

Bibbs however has struggled since he arrived, and continues to struggle. He's shooting 15% this season for crying out loud, and 24% for his career.

It would be a shame to lose Bibbs from the program due to lack of playing time, but how much of this can Engles take? At some point, Engles needs to focus on self-preservation over loyalty to one of his recruits.

Engles needs to give Adlesh a shot as the starting PG.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Re: Smith
12-19-18 12:56 PM - Post#269471    
    In response to Murph

Yes; were the coach's motives good, pure and sound, he'd do exactly as you suggest. And Stefanini's done a lot with his opportunity, perhaps even placing himself on the NBA's radar. Engles's loyalty ends as soon as Jim Engles is taken care of. Starting Bibbs is about the squeaky wheel getting the grease; and Quinton Adlesh, such a nice kid- just a modern day Lou Gehrig, with nary a complaint.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-19-18 01:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-19-18 01:12 PM - Post#269472    

Could Adlesh' shooting be the reason he doesn't start? Often, the second squad is short of scoring options and so coaches have been known to put a shooter in there to provide 'instant' or backup offense. There is only one basketball so it sometimes doesn't make sense to load all/most of your scoring threats on the court together.

For this reason, I expect Tommy Amaker to put Corey Johnson on the second squad for the Crimson.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-19-18 01:32 PM - Post#269474    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

That's been mentioned; perhaps not as eloquently, but it has been mentioned.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-19-18 01:40 PM - Post#269475    

In close games, it might make sense to pay attention to who is on the court at the end of the game. If Adlesh is on with most of the starters, then I'd surmise that your Coach could agree with you that Adlesh belongs with the starting unit but is trying to spread out his resources. Working backwards is probably more relevant in this instance.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-19-18 01:53 PM - Post#269477    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Yes.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-19-18 03:34 PM - Post#269481    

Hickman started over Caitlin during the second half of the IL season last year, even though Caitlin was a far better player. The rationale offered on this board is that a good coach wants one of his best layers to come in after around five minutes.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
12-19-18 04:22 PM - Post#269483    

"Yes; were the coach's motives good, pure and sound, he'd do exactly as you suggest. And Stefanini's done a lot with his opportunity, perhaps even placing himself on the NBA's radar. Engles's loyalty ends as soon as Jim Engles is taken care of. Starting Bibbs is about the squeaky wheel getting the grease; and Quinton Adlesh, such a nice kid- just a modern day Lou Gehrig, with nary a complaint."

These kind of baseless personal attacks on someone's imagined "motives" are not appropriate for this kind of board.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.276 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:17 AM