Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Nice win v. Iona        (Topic#22263)
hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
12-09-18 02:22 PM - Post#268399    

74-71 Lions. Held on tough down the stretch. Smith on crutches. Five guys in double figures: Adlesh, Stefanini, Killingsworth, Tape and Maka Ellis who had 13, shot .50 from 3 and had 4 steals. Killingworth led team in points with 14 and rebs 7, tied with Tape, who made several clutch free throws at the end.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
12-09-18 04:48 PM - Post#268416    
    In response to hoopsfan

Nice game indeed. We played pretty decent D; may have used two different zones on occasion (I'm not sure about that one, will have to look at the video) in addition to our man to man.

Team seemed well prepared, both psychologically and tactically. Davis, who apparently had back surgery last year, seemed to have tweaked something just before the half, but seemed OK in the second half. We really needed every ounce of contributions from everybody.

Also impressive that we were able to win without either Stef or Adlesh having had an unconscious shooting from threes night. Speaking of Adlesh, on two occasions he faked a three and moved in for much shorter pull up jumpers. Nice addition that may make him more effective.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-09-18 08:43 PM - Post#268430    
    In response to Dr. V

Just returned home from the Garden after watching the Lions defeat Iona and St. John win over Princeton. Columbia won the game with some great outside shooting in the first half and smart overall team play in the second half. Of course, seeing Mike Smith on crutches was a downer, but at least in this game, his absence did not result in a loss. Stefannini made several outstanding plays in the second half including a clutch backdoor lay up near the end of the game. First year, Maka Ellis, contributed a season high 13 points in 25 minutes on the court. He seems ready to make an impact.. Patrick Tape played extremely well in the final minutes of the game. The coaching staff did fine today, but needs to figure out how to get Bibbs going. Bibbs seems to have what takes to be a standout Division I basketball player, but for whatever reason it has not happened yet. Incidentally, Columbia had a decent number of students, fans and alumni at the game, whereas its Ivy counterpart, Princeton, appeared to have very few. Surprising, because the Tigers battled a very, very talented St. John's team to the end. Princeton has two terrific guards and could be the surprise team in the Ivy League. St. Johns has its best team in years and, in my opinion, could become one of the best teams in the country.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-09-18 09:19 PM - Post#268432    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

I have the same question about Bibbs. The coaches obviously see something in practice which has put him in the starting lineup. He looks like he should be a very good D1 player but seems to be invisible when he gets into games.From my vantage point he doesn’t seem to be looking for his shot, and on the rare occasions when he does shoot all it takes is one miss for him to become invisible. I think that if he drove to the basket more things might open up for him. On the other hand, I really like what I saw today from Ellis on offense. I also. Wanted to take note of the vast improvement in Brumant’s game.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-09-18 09:53 PM - Post#268437    
    In response to Chet Forte

Yes, he has regressed significantly. Last year, he was 33% on 2s and 30% on 3s; this year, he is 17% on 2s and 13% on 3s. He handles the ball well, and I wonder whether he just hits shots in practice that he misses in games. Especially since we need ballhanders and a more diversified offense in Smith's absence, let's hope one of the coaches has a magic trick about his shooting up his sleeve. Hunter has been benched the last few games because his defense didn't offset his offensive shortcomings. If there isn't any improvement soon, Bibbs will soon follow.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-09-18 11:52 PM - Post#268442    
    In response to cc66

Columbia's next three games are against Boston College, Northwestern and Rutgers. Reality is that Columbia probably will be blown out in all three games. More than that, even without details about Smith's injury, it is reasonable to assume that he won't be playing. So given the Lions' lack of depth, it seems likely that Bibbs will have lots of playing time. That should give the Columbia coaching staff the chance to utilize Bibbs in several different ways and see what works. When you have a very athletic 6'3" player who can shoot the ball, there are things you do to get him going.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-10-18 02:42 AM - Post#268453    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

http://ivyhoopsonline.com/2018/12/10/ivies-take -ma...

west coast fan

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-10-18 09:59 AM - Post#268467    
    In response to internetter

11, 13, and 6 percent: those are KP's projections of Columbia's chances in the next 3 games. In the absence of an unlikely upset, we should hope for continued improvement, no blowouts, and maybe even a few close calls.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.794 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:18 AM