Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Iona        (Topic#22304)
Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
12-14-18 09:18 PM - Post#269120    

Opens Princeton -3

11:30 AM tip-off.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-14-18 09:21 PM - Post#269122    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

Hope the replay comes up fast on ESPN+, because those of us on PST may not want to ruin their Saturdays with an early rise.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-15-18 12:55 AM - Post#269133    
    In response to SRP

Strikes me as a pivotal game for the Tigers. Iona, traditionally an excellent mid-major team has not played well last week. They lost by 3 points to Columbia last weekend at MSG. Better than George Washington but they are not a good team at this point and time.

Tigers could practice with Llewellyn this week. They should be the better team on the court athhletically and skill set but let's see. With Duke coming up next week, they need to get their act together.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Iona
12-15-18 01:15 PM - Post#269144    
    In response to bradley

Tigers very up and down in the first half. Iona uses a 10-0 run to take a 1-point lead at the half. I missed the beginning but it sounds likes Tigers went with four guard lineup for a lot of the half with Arririguzoh. I’d Much rather see Sebastian or Jerome in the lineup and have Morales come off the bench.

Edited by TigerFan on 12-15-18 01:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
Re: Iona
12-15-18 02:33 PM - Post#269153    
    In response to TigerFan

Guess the Llewellyn era has officially begun!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Iona
12-15-18 02:38 PM - Post#269155    
    In response to TigerFan

What a game! First it looked like a Princeton blowout. Then an Iona blowout. In the end, we eked it out. Still not nearly where we need to be, but getting closer.

-Jaelin Llewellyn is a generational talent. How is this guy a freshman? How is this guy in the Ivy? He can really do it all and has the poise of a senior captain.

-Cannady is making his case as the best pure shooter in college hoops. He was 6-15 from deep despite 2-3 uncalled shooting fouls. Iona took advantage of lax officiating to hack him hard and poke him in the face. Devin still had his way in the end.

-Morales and Friberg provided a huge spark when it looked like Iona was cruising to victory. We've seen Jose do that all season, but it was nice seeing Friberg deliver on MH's claims about his 3pt shooting skills.

-Aririguzoh continues to be our rock down low and had some big plays on both ends, including a game-clinching defensive stand.

-I seldom if ever mention things like this, but Iona had some obnoxious players today. A lot of taunting and borderline dirty defense. Good to see their questionable attitude punished with a painful loss.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-15-18 02:53 PM - Post#269157    
    In response to gokinsmen

A win and especially a comeback win is always a good thing but to be honest, it was disappointing. I thought that the Tigers would win by 10+ against a average team at best with Jaelin and today's peformance. It would not be surprising if Jaelin is a trans-formative player but something is wrong with this team. Surprisingly, Myles is playing significantly below prior years and the bench other than Friberg today is useless == Gladson, Schweiger and Desrosiers. Cannady is a weapon but it was a matter of time that he could not continue to hit 55% on 3 pointers.

Duke will destroy the Tigers based on their current level of play. Perhaps, Llewellyn will dribble the ball to the end of the shot clock and pass the ball to Cannady near half court and Devin shoots it with Arirguzoh waiting by the basket or Llewellyn simply drives and tries to make an acrobatic lay up.

Much work to do before the IL season and Henderson has some real challenges but it will still be fun to watch Jaelin and Devin. How good is Jaelin going to be after playing more than two games.

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
12-15-18 04:57 PM - Post#269168    
    In response to bradley

It was a game they figured to win and they got the job done.

Columbia beat the Gaels last game out.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-15-18 06:59 PM - Post#269175    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

Llewellyn has a number of gifts but maybe the most impressive one right now is his ability to get to the basket and finish against the bigs. He has an incredible first step and stutter steps. If he keeps having sucess, defenses are going to have to collapse and he should be able to set up 3 pt shots. Additionally, he has ability to see the open man and pass.

I am not sure how many IL freshmen in their 1st two games have displayed his skill sets. Finally, he has the "eye of the Tiger".

Would like to know the real story of how Mitch sucessfully recruited him.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-15-18 07:32 PM - Post#269178    
    In response to bradley

Brad, All that you've just written I buy into, and piques my interest in the Duke game. Your team can compete in Durham. Don't think one Dukie can stay in front of your freshman for long; and if K plays zone, Cannady & the other frosh, from State College, should have some real opportunities.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
12-15-18 07:37 PM - Post#269179    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
something is wrong with this team.

A true stretch 4.....or some version of Mason Rocca/Ian Hummer.

HTK9 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 10-04-18
12-15-18 07:59 PM - Post#269180    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I know numbers are never everything, but it's worth noting that according to KenPom Devin is 10th in the nation in true shooting percentage at 73.1%. Even more interesting, Rich Aririguzoh is right behind him in the 11th spot at 72.9%. Wild considering ts% favors 3pt shooters and RA has yet to make a single one this season. (oh and he's also second in the country in FT rate.)

bradley 
PhD Student

12-15-18 09:52 PM - Post#269187    
    In response to AntiUngvar

Like the thought that Tigers can compete at Cameron but simply impossible based on Duke's size and athleticism. Dukies just ate up Yale with pressure and the Bulldogs cracked in the second half. Unlikely, but possible that Henderson plays with 3 guards plus Stephens and Arirguzoh but it will be playing against Goliath. I hope that they simply do a good job of handling and protecting the ball and keeping their composure. If they can only beat Iona by 4 points on a neutral site, 30 point loss or less would be an accomplishment. It would be enjoyable to see the Tiger "gnats" drive the Dukies crazy with small ball for a while.

I am also interested to see if Jaelin can handle the pressure better than Yale's guards. When he goes to the hoop, he will have to go against two to 3 bigs on the back line. You would think that he may have a case of the nerves.

Fortunately, Duke is not a great 3 pt or FT shooting team but it does not matter when they face an IL team.

Llewlyn was listed as one of 5 mid-major players that could possibly be one and done but I would be shocked. As a Tiger fan, let's hope that he plays well but not too well.

SRP 
Postdoc

12-15-18 11:10 PM - Post#269194    
    In response to bradley

A game won at that foul line, with each team having the same number of two-point and three-point baskets (on very similar numbers of attempts), but Princeton gong 12-14 vs. Iona's 8-10 at the charity stripe. Nineteen assists on thirty made baskets is also pretty nice.

The problem for this team is getting stops. Cannady had four steals, which is terrific, and the rest of the team had another four (while Iona only had three steals, helping Princeton's D by preventing too many easy baskets off turnovers). Iona shooting 62% in the second half, 66% from three, is not very good defense. Twenty-six defensive rebounds on 33 missed FGA by the opponent is good, though.

Duke beat Yale with aggressive half-court man-to-man pressure, and Princeton has been very turnover prone so far without showing much in the way of backdoor passing against the overplay, so that doesn't bode well, nor does the team's weakness in grabbing loose balls. OTOH, if they can play a three-guard, two-PG offense without getting overrun on D, they ought to be able to avoid some of those turnovers because of all the ball-handling and dribbling ability.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
12-16-18 08:52 AM - Post#269204    
    In response to SRP

I have not been able to follow Princeton hoops closely for the past year and have mostly seen highlights on the PU athletics website.

One obvious comment is that Llewelyn’s bursting on the scene and Aririguzoh’s development now give the Tigers 4 starters who can play at an elite level. The clips I have seen of Morales are impressive but it is not clear to me that such a small lineup can beat the better teams in the Ivies. But between him and Llewelyn against Iona Princeton seemed to get ball movement that has been lacking since Spencer Weisz ran the team.

I tend to agree Duke will be a very difficult game given lack of depth and size. If Princeton can somehow limit offensive rebounds and turnovers and keep Aririguzoh on the court for 30 minutes they might keep it respectable.

For Princeton to become a threat in league play the Tigers will need to find the defensive intensity that was embodied by Steve Cook during the amazing title team run. That and 2-3 of their touted frosh/sophs need to step up so that the starters don’t have to play 37 minutes every game.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-16-18 02:53 PM - Post#269222    
    In response to Tiger81

81 was Steve Mills's class-correct?

SRP 
Postdoc

12-16-18 03:04 PM - Post#269223    

IMO the play of Stephens has been as big an issue as that of Much and Derosiers. His D is OK but not dominant and he's looked out of sorts offensively. Hope he and the others can pick it up as the season wears on.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
12-16-18 03:42 PM - Post#269225    

Correct, and David Blatt as well

bradley 
PhD Student

12-16-18 06:20 PM - Post#269232    
    In response to SRP

Agree that Stephens has not consistently been a great defender up to this point and time. At the beginning of the season, Mitch stated that Myles almost had NBA defensive skills. It makes one wonder if he has an injury -- let's hope not. It just seems that he in a funk especially on the offensive side of the ball. The Tigers need him to raise his game back to his sophomore and junior years.

It would be ironical and certainly premature, to say that the Tigers may have three of their gest all time players performing at the same time in Cannady, Alarie and Llewellyn. Since Bella's return, Tigers are 3-0 vs. being 1-2 without her. She averages 19 pts, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 steals per game and may have the game to play forward in the WNBA. Last night, they simply lose the game without her.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
12-16-18 08:48 PM - Post#269234    
    In response to bradley

Not to nit pick but the Tigers were 2-7 without Bella, albeit against a brutal schedule.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-16-18 09:36 PM - Post#269237    
    In response to SecS3

I poorly stated my point that if Bella was still injured, the Tigers probably would have been 1-2 vs. 3-0 in these games as both Marist and probably Quinnipac, two good mid-major teams, would have probably beaten the Tigers although one never knows for sure..

When Bella was out as you correctly stated, the Tigers were 2-7 with two OT losses against good major teams,Seton Hall and Penn State, as well as being tied after 3 quarters against at that time the #16 ranked team in the country.

Allarie is a game changer and may be a 3 time IL POY by the time that she is done -- Bradley like in a different era.

Unfortunately, they will need to win IvyMadness this year to play in the NCAAW tournament but they will probably be at their best next year when she is a senior.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
12-16-18 11:58 PM - Post#269239    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
IMO the play of Stephens has been as big an issue as that of Much and Derosiers. His D is OK but not dominant and he's looked out of sorts offensively. Hope he and the others can pick it up as the season wears on.

Our guards now match up well with most teams, and Aririguzoh can hold his own with most mid majors, but Stephens, in this non-league portion of the schedule, is defending and being defended by, players bigger, stronger, and just as fast as he.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-17-18 12:11 AM - Post#269240    

• AntiUngvar Said:
Brad, All that you've just written I buy into, and piques my interest in the Duke game. Your team can compete in Durham. Don't think one Dukie can stay in front of your freshman for long; and if K plays zone, Cannady & the other frosh, from State College, should have some real opportunities.

I would be shocked if Duke plays any zone. I don't think they are too worried about Princeton and they probably shouldn't be.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-17-18 12:21 AM - Post#269241    
    In response to PennFan10

I'm sure you could teach me here: how much zone does K play, lately, and do you really think he has a defender for Llewellyn?

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-17-18 01:26 AM - Post#269244    

I’ve got no inside info as a Penn fan, but I was wondering if Stephens was hurt also. Hasn’t had something on his knee in games? At least I thought I saw him with a wrap or light brace when I see mins of recent games here and there.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
12-17-18 02:07 PM - Post#269275    
    In response to Mike Porter

Princeton having one post player surrounded by guard/wing types goes way back, even if they don't play like the teams of old. However, putting Aririguzoh in the middle and surrounding him with Morales, Llewellyn, Cannady and Stephens is REALLY small even by Princeton standards - and that is the best 5 right now. They really need to have the bigger bodied sophomores step up, but it looks like more of the same from last year - Much, Desrosiers and Schweiger don't appear to have made a leap from FR to SO.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-17-18 02:47 PM - Post#269284    

• AntiUngvar Said:
I'm sure you could teach me here: how much zone does K play, lately, and do you really think he has a defender for Llewellyn?

I can't remember every seeing Duke in a zone, but I could be wrong. And I am sure they will have a plan for the only real threat Princeton has. They didn't have much problem with Oni or Yale, who as a team is decidedly better than Princeton.

If Llewellyn scores 30 and Duke wins by 30, I am sure Coach K is ok with that.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-17-18 03:06 PM - Post#269288    
    In response to PennFan10

Wow! Thank you, Sam- concise, to the point and all, too convincing! Your way with words is such that you have believing I really am as delusional as you once proclaimed. (In fact, I still think Princeton will [at least] cover.)

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
12-17-18 03:14 PM - Post#269290    

I'm confused. Was that last post from AntiUngvar snarky? Nasty? Witty? Genuinely appreciative? Some combination of the above?

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
12-17-18 04:09 PM - Post#269302    
    In response to PennFan10

Duke primarily played zone defense last year, and many observers felt that it saved the season. Here is an article from The Ringer about Duke's transformation to a zone defense team:

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/26/17163732/du ke-...

But this year, Duke has played man-to-man most of the time.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-17-18 04:18 PM - Post#269305    
    In response to Silver Maple

Confused? Why not adhere to a program that forces you to follow your own advice? As for #10, who's never confusing and seldom confused, before #10 ever saw daylight, K coached against a championship caliber UNLV team- twice in the course of 365 days. To win that second Final Four matchup (a squeaker), I'm thinking -and I'll research it further- he had to resort to a zone (honestly can't recall the true fact of this early 90s matter).

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Iona
12-17-18 04:20 PM - Post#269306    
    In response to Silver Maple

BTW, K lost that first Vegas matchup by 32; and he's always been one to learn from the past- a big part of why he's lasted for half a century in coaching.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-17-18 04:47 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

12-17-18 06:35 PM - Post#269315    
    In response to SecS3

In December 1981, Coach K brought one of his first Duke teams to Jadwin to play a mediocre Tiger squad (the nucleus of which would go on to take the Ivy crown the next two years and pull off a huge upset against Big-8 champ Oklahoma State in what was then a second round NCAA game with a lot of byes given in first round due to the odd number of teams in the tournament).

The Tigers routed the Dukies in a game that was not as close as the 17-point final score. A high school senior at the time, I attended the game between what were my two two college choices. I chose to matriculate at the school that, judging from the outcome, was obviously an emerging basketball powerhouse.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
12-17-18 07:55 PM - Post#269321    
    In response to TigerFan

Or perhaps you preferred the school that expected students to have learned the Earth is not flat, even if they play basketball.

SRP 
Postdoc

12-18-18 05:16 AM - Post#269335    
    In response to sparman

That was a funny game. I heard Carrill talk about it the next year. Duke was giving extreme weak-side help in the lane so that their whole D was shifted to the strong side. The Princeton coaches just had the Tigers throw skip passes over the top to the far side, get the Blue Devils scrambling across the court to reset, then skip the ball back and just keep doing that until inevitably there was a lane to the hoop or a wide-open jump shot.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.22 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:26 AM