Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Iona        (Topic#22306)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-15-18 04:14 PM - Post#269166    

In light of Princeton’s win in Atlantic City over Iona by 4 and our win over the same team by 3, it would be interesting to hear some observations from anybody who has seen both games. Iona is clearly a worthy opponent which gave both teams all they could handle, and ivy hoops online is especially glowing in his coverage of today’s Princeton win. My own take is that we may have hit ona combination which will permit us to compete for the rest of the season. Tape and Brumant have both improved significantly, and Nweke is a legitimate D 1 front court player who will only get better. Stefanini appears to be a sensation in the Italian media (seriously) and looks like he will be in the conversation for all Ivy recognition. Killingsworth is a heady player who can do a little of everything. Adlesh is a great three point shooter. I think Ellis is going to be a real contributor. CJ Davis can spell Stefanini and play good defense. I have previously commented on the need to get Bibbs going. Not sure if I have overlooked any potential contributors.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
Re: Iona
12-15-18 05:35 PM - Post#269171    
    In response to Chet Forte

Chet,
Strange game in Atlantic City today; and I, for one, came away less than awed by the Tigers. Their guard play -with D.Cannady & frosh wunderkind, Llewellyn- carried them. But this was a game in which the Tigers scored the first 11 pts.; then trailed at the half; and were down 13 with 12 minutes left, looking dead in the eye of a blowout defeat. A couple of their bench players helped get them back in it as they held off Iona at the finish.
Iona never saw Mike Smith at MSG last Sunday, but played against a Princeton team today, having it's full complement of players. Columbia has (at least) 17 games left that fans can look forward to as potentially competitive events- actually the one game against D-3 Elmira will, hopefully, not be so competitive.

Okoro Dude 
Senior

Loc: Glen Mills, PA
Reg: 11-24-04
12-18-18 02:17 PM - Post#269368    
    In response to AntiUngvar

I was at both games and I am not sure I follow the notion that Iona is a high quality team to measure success against. I don't think they would have any kind of realistic shot at being in the Ivy Tourney.

My takeway from the two games is that Princeton continues to stink defensively - more than I can ever remember watching them over the last 25+ year (through a Penn fan's eyes of course). However, Llewellyn is a transformational talent and he gives them significant upside. Add in Cannady and Stephens (if he can pull out of his funk) and they have three potential all-ivy type talents. Columbia executed better than Princeton in that small game sample, but just doesn't (especially without Smith) have the clear all-Ivy type talent that can lift them to being a top 100-150 team - and I think that is at least what it will take to make Ivy Tourney.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
12-18-18 02:43 PM - Post#269370    
    In response to Okoro Dude

Very well put. And if that kid is transformational, his stage this evening would be a pretty good place to demonstrate it- of course the other side has some transformational goods of its own!

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-18-18 02:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.185 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:02 AM