Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Eddie Turner III Commits to Columbia        (Topic#22374)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-29-18 10:51 PM - Post#270427    

Columbia just received a very nice commitment from Eddie Turner III, a talented 6'2" point guard from Garfield High School in the State of Washington, via St. Thomas III. Offered by Cincinnati amongst other.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
Re: Eddie Turner III Commits to Columbia
12-30-18 01:40 AM - Post#270442    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Please see Internetter's thread called New One from Friday evening, 12/28.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-30-18 01:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-30-18 08:32 AM - Post#270445    
    In response to AntiUngvar

Nice news for New Year’s Eve. We really need another true PG; this young man seems to be a legit D1 prospect.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
12-30-18 09:10 AM - Post#270446    

Eddie Turner, 6'1" PG from Garfield HS in Seattle currently doing a post grad year at St Thomas More in Ct. Has been injured early this year.

Offers via 247 included Cincy, Loyola and Minnesota among others.

All State, MVP of 2018 Washington state tournament.

https://twitter.com/EddieTurnerIII?lang=e n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE4CLMfMUYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLyqXLx9oY

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/08/recruiting-up dat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQrSSRJkmU

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
Eddie Turner III Commits to Columbia
12-30-18 10:12 AM - Post#270452    
    In response to hoopsfan

Thanks AntiU for referring us to internetter's thread about Miller's commitment, your thoughts about New York City area recruiting and the Taylor consultancy for football. As usual, I concur with your comments. Yes, the Lions still need to recruit an impact power forward for the incoming class whether from the New York Met area, like Luke Petrasek, or elsewhere.. We already have on the roster the center transfer from Seattle and an incoming 6'6" small forward recruit but we must still recruit a 6'8"-6'10" impact forward. If the Lions do that, and add one more talented guard, they should should be very competitive next year.

Edited by Columbia 37P6 on 12-30-18 10:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

01-01-19 12:47 PM - Post#270735    

From Ryan James, Prep Hoops, 12/31

Columbia Adds Key Piece

Recruiting in the IVY League isn’t what it once was. One can consistently expect a couple four star talents to commit yearly to the IVY League for an education AND a strong basketball experience. Several national top 500 players are committed to play in the IVY League already and there could be more. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, and Brown all have national ranked recruits and Columbia recently jumped into the group with the landing of Edward Turner III out of Washington.

This isn’t just a luxury for Columbia, it’s a needed get. Turner is the 395th ranked senior in the nation according to Prep Hoops and a point guard that Columbia will use early and often. Turner also has Columbia approaching the top 150 area for college basketball team rankings. Four IVY League schools are in the top 100 this year! The Ivy League Team Recruiting Rankings are below with their national rank in parentheses.

IVY League Team Recruiting Rankings
Harvard (53)
Yale (90)
Penn (94)
Princeton (97)
Brown (128)
Columbia (156)
Dartmouth (199)
Cornell (297)

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
01-01-19 05:11 PM - Post#270758    
    In response to hoopsfan

Columbia's recruiting rank would surely be at the top of the Ivies and comparable to the nation's top 75 schools if they had some presence in New York City with high school and amateur athletic coaches. Their abject failure here is even less explainable to me than Monmouth beating Penn at the Palestra yesterday.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 01-01-19 05:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-01-19 05:13 PM - Post#270759    
    In response to hoopsfan

Thanks very much.

I haven't seen him live, but based on his highlight videos Turner looks like the quickest PG we'll have since Alton Byrd, and Alton was just 5'8" whereas Turner is 6'1 or 6'2". I'm not suggesting that Turner will be another Byrd, but that if all goes well with the usual adjustments to college, we could have a very, very good player.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

01-03-19 12:10 PM - Post#270975    
    In response to Dr. V

From Prep Hoops:

Posted On: 01/2/19 12:18 AM

A few months ago, things were going nuts for Eddie Turner. The quick 6-foot-1 guard was receiving scholarship offer after scholarship offer from Division I schools and he even took some campus visits. The decision was made for the Garfield High School graduate to attend prep school and Turner recently decided to end his college recruitment by committing to Columbia. “The education and the opportunities were the main reason,” Turner said. “I want to set my own path and become legendary – whenever everyone goes right, I go left. I’m hoping to win big and turn the program around.”

The decision definitely had educational and basketball-related reasons but there was a bigger picture involved for Turner as well. “The coaches really treated me and they care about me more than just basketball but as a person and I really appreciate that,” Turner said. “That’s what made them really stand out. They said what they could do for me and my family and how they could change the direction of our family’s life.”

“Less than five people in my family have graduated college, so I wanted to take the opportunity to go to the Ivy League and change it for my little cousins, my nieces,” he added. “It was a family decision. I want to be a resource for people who don’t have much or don’t know people. I want to be in a position to give back.”
Turner took his time with his college recruitment as he could have gone to places like Loyola-Chicago, Cincinnati, and Minnesota among many others after the summer. Instead, he has been at St Thomas More since the fall and it’s been an enjoyable experience for him. “St Thomas More is a great place and I love it,” Turner said. “They treat me as family and I’m close with a lot of the staff. It’s different in that I’m focusing on more than just basketball as they emphasize different aspects of life that weren’t emphasized before. I love it here.”

The commitment closes out a winding road for Turner, who noted that he would like to thank Jeff Harris Basketball and some others for helping him get to this point. “When people said I was average, (Harris) said I would be great,” Turner said. “When no one stood up for me and no one believed in me, he did and he worked with me every day. So Jeff and my big brother, Sam Cunliffe, they were a big part of who I am today. And Carl Howell gave me the opportunity and put the ball in my hands in the AAU season. Those three are ones I would give a shout out to.”

The journey will continue too as Turner is still focused on improving himself for the next level. “Every part of my game can be worked on and I’m just touching the surface,” Turner said. “There’s not one thing I’m particularly great at right now. Obviously a lot of people would say that athletically I’m fast and stuff like that, but I never put a limit on myself. I need to improve on all areas of my game because there are people better than me and I want to be the best.”

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-03-19 07:46 PM - Post#271019    
    In response to hoopsfan

A little surprised Yale is so high here. They have two good ones in Jarvis and Mahoney, but I’m surprised that would put them ahead of Penn’s 5 man class where at least one guy is at worst on par with Jarvis/Mahoney. Am I missing somebody in Yale’s class (or is this Service missing some of the depth in the other classes?)?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-04-19 07:37 AM - Post#271055    
    In response to SomeGuy

Which reminds me: how did Penn manage to get blown out so badly by Toledo a week or so ago? It is very rare to see a Donohue coached team lose so badly.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-04-19 10:09 AM - Post#271065    
    In response to Chet Forte

I think the Monmouth loss at home was more surprising. Toledo is a very good team.

As for why both results happened, I think Penn really needs at least two of their 3 big men. Penn was right with Toledo right up until Wang got hurt. With Rothschild already out (and then Brodeur in foul trouble), Penn played the bulk of the Toledo game with one (and sometimes none) of their bigs on the floor. Then we started four guards against Monmouth and lost that too. Hopefully, the bigs are ready to play Saturday.

It’s not that Penn can’t win with four guards — we actually played that way a lot in both Columbia games last year. But some adjustments will have to be made if that is our fate.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.458 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:20 AM