Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 8 « First<5678
Username Post: Monmouth        (Topic#22383)
Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
Monmouth
12-31-18 04:19 PM - Post#270671    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

<#%$@.

• Quote:
Agreed.

You’re being too critical. We were down 3 starters and took “the best 0-12 team in the country” to OT. Moral Victory!

Edited by Chip Bayers on 12-31-18 04:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
12-31-18 04:20 PM - Post#270672    
    In response to dperry

Worst game ever.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
12-31-18 04:23 PM - Post#270673    
    In response to dperry

I am so sick of missed foul shots. If he hits just 40% of those, we're at least in double overtime. Unbelievable!! No, I take that back very believable.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
12-31-18 04:41 PM - Post#270679    
    In response to Penn7277

I'm also sick of missed breakaway layups.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
12-31-18 04:50 PM - Post#270681    
    In response to Penn7277

I believe the rules allow you to pass the ball on a fast break. You are not obligated to selfishly take the ball to the basket yourself and (1) miss the layup or (2) have your shot blocked or (3) attempt a circus shot to avoid having your shot blocked.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-31-18 05:45 PM - Post#270686    
    In response to Penn7277

Honestly, you could see this one coming a mile away. Monmouth was a lot better than their record. They have 3 quality starters and a bunch of role players and they are pretty deep. Ask Yale about them. Penn had lost the services of 5 of their top 8-9 players if you count everyone. 3 of 7 if you don't count Jelani & Ryan. On top of that the shooting was awful - inside, outside and FT. As was pointed out above, Penn lost this one at the FT line - at least 7 points were left there. We all knew this would happen sometime. Be glad this was against Monmouth and not Dartmouth.

Note that Kuba got extended minutes. If there was ever a game for him to step up, this was it. Jarrod was better on D, but Kuba making more than one of those open 3's (not to mention a few others he was wide open for) would have likely won this thing. Shout out to Jake. came back after what was likely a bloody broken nose with cotton stuffed up both nostrils and made some nice hustle plays few noticed.

As for Wang. I'm not as optimistic as others. That boot he was wearing tells me the best we can hope for to have him play effectively is likely the 2nd PU game. Tyler should be back sooner. We could have used him today as well.

Jay O 
Masters Student

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-16-09
12-31-18 06:20 PM - Post#270688    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
Honestly, you could see this one coming a mile away.

Just make sure not to say anything about it if you do see it while a mile away, right Chip?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-31-18 06:43 PM - Post#270692    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:

As for Wang. I'm not as optimistic as others. That boot he was wearing tells me the best we can hope for to have him play effectively is likely the 2nd PU game. Tyler should be back sooner. We could have used him today as well.

Having a boot on your foot after turning an ankle is standard procedure. Last year Darnell wore a boot out of the locker room after almost every game. That has nothing to do with the severity of the injury. The boot promotes stability and faster healing, no matter the seriousness.

I would be surprised if Mike doesn't play the home Princeton game and more than likely this Saturday @Princeton.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
12-31-18 08:10 PM - Post#270701    
    In response to PennFan10

PF10- I think we are in agreement here. We may see mike on the floor next week but he won’t be 100% by any stretch. My guess is that we will be far more mobile for the second PU game.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-31-18 08:49 PM - Post#270705    
    In response to Jay O

When my boychick alerted me to Wang on the court being in street clothes even before we found our seats, my already knowing that Max wasn't playing led me to say, "[Boychick], I expect us to struggle today".

This was the perfect storm of the worst kind. We just could not finish easy shots throughout the game, and even when drawing fouls on the finish had trouble converting when at the line. We had open threes the whole game and could not get any consistency there, either. Meanwhile Monmouth did a much better job of finishing-- made a variety of tough runners and a banked three that had to be seen to be believed.

Said boychick spotted AJ committing a lane violation earlier in the 2nd half on a made Monmouth FT. Sadly, that would come back to haunt us. After AJ missed 4 straight FTs in OT, one of the very few misses from Monmouth (on a 1 and 1) was given a second try due to a Penn lane violation, and so naturally he made that one and the next. So we should have been up 6 with the ball in OT--instead, we let Monmouth right back in it.

Meanwhile, Eddie Scott looks completely L-O-S-T out there. At one point he was even shrugging his soldiers when Donahue was looking at him. I'm trying to think of a single positive thing he did out there, and I'm coming up empty.

Scott and Washington and Simmons all got caught defensively on switches, and we could never recover...Monmouth eventually got the right guy with the ball who had an easy, undefended trip to the hoop.

Defensive rebounding--really, the whole team is guilty on this one. It never really stopped becoming an issue.

AJ finally found his offensive form as the game wore on, but it took a while.

We deserved this loss. Monmouth wanted this one more than us. Their players were getting to more 50-50 balls, their bench and fan section were animated. Finally, late in the game, AJ and Woods really bore down and played fantastic, but it was not enough.

• Jay O Said:
  • Streamers Said:
Honestly, you could see this one coming a mile away.

Just make sure not to say anything about it if you do see it while a mile away, right Chip?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
12-31-18 10:38 PM - Post#270710    
    In response to penn nation

Monmouth knew that AJ was Penn’s only reliable offensive option and their bigs made him work hard for everything he got at both ends. He played 40 minutes. By the end of the game, he was really worn down. I think this had something to do with the missed bunnies and free throws.

penn nation 
Professor

Monmouth
12-31-18 10:47 PM - Post#270712    
    In response to Streamers

I saw it differently. At some point in the second half, Monmouth simply stopped doubling AJ when he got the ball in the post. AJ had his way most of the time down low when in single coverage.

AJ was missing FTs early in the game too, so it's not like "getting worn down" has been an excuse for his misses.

Also, Penn went from one of the most impressive OOC resumes in recent memory to one of the most high variance ones, all in a matter of 2 games.

Edited by penn nation on 12-31-18 10:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

12-31-18 10:50 PM - Post#270713    
    In response to Streamers

AJ was indeed so important. There was a point, I think with about 8 minutes to play, when SD lifted AJ to give him a breather and inserted Scott and Simmons. I said there was no way that was going to last even 2 minutes. I was right--it only lasted about 1 minute or so in game time, although with a time out it was longer in real time. Defensively, we looked awful and as a team, completely out of synch when he was absent.

10Q 
Professor

01-01-19 08:59 AM - Post#270716    
    In response to penn nation

Am I the only one who had a Grumpy New Year? Trying to shake off this loss. It's only sports right?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-01-19 10:09 AM - Post#270722    
    In response to 10Q

Eyes on the prize Q. League play starts now.

10Q 
Professor

01-01-19 10:55 AM - Post#270723    
    In response to Streamers

I know. But was already plotting a high seed.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-01-19 11:32 AM - Post#270725    
    In response to 10Q

A healthy Penn team was better than Villanova, and not just in that game. A healthy Penn team wins the IL going away. I think the seeding decision will not be impacted unduly by the Toledo and Monmouth games. They won't help, for sure, but nobody will look forward to playing Penn with Max and Wang at full strength. Villanova's record will mean a great deal in the Penn seeding, Miami's too.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-01-19 11:37 AM - Post#270726    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Thanks George - It would be nice to add St. Joes and Temple to that list; not to mention a few wins against all the top 100 Ivy teams.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
01-01-19 12:13 PM - Post#270727    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
Am I the only one who had a Grumpy New Year? Trying to shake off this loss. It's only sports right?

No, you're not. And it's not "only sports". It's Penn basketball.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-01-19 12:25 PM - Post#270730    
    In response to Streamers

I disagree on AJ penn nation. I saw him doubled consistently. I just can't decide if they played better defense than I expected or we just look completely lost thanks to injuries. I imagine it's a bit of both.

I, too, am not over this one. I had forgotten about the lane violation on the missed one and one. You can't just give possessions away and what they do at the line is unacceptable. How AJ can look so smooth at the line on one trip and so awful the next 4 is beyond befuddling. Is it all about being tired? There has to be a way to compensate.

I echo what others said about it feeling like 2015 with the missed layups and terrible 2-1 decisions.

Like streamers, I also want to call out Jake. He was really slow to get off the court and for him to come back with a new jersey and gauze up the nose says everything about him and this team.

Saturday is going to be quite a battle...The line is going to be quite interesting.

Page 6 of 8 « First<5678
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.177 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:58 PM