Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: a question?        (Topic#22384)
nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
12-31-18 09:41 AM - Post#270545    

I am not 100% sure about the Patriot League schools, other then Bucknell, but does anyone know why Georgetown doesn't or rarely plays the Bison in other Men's or Women's sports? I would think as member of the football league, we would look to add them to our nonleague schedule, as at times we struggle to fill games, especially in Lewisburg. There must be a reason, but I would think in most cases the teams would be fairly competitive. What say 137?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
12-31-18 12:39 PM - Post#270559    
    In response to nitlion

I have no inside info at all, but here are a few thoughts:

1. The PL really has no leverage when it comes to football, given that the league only has 7 teams (and only 5 who are regular league members). While the minimum NCAA requirement for a league is 6 teams, the league does not want to drop below 7 - which gives each team 3 home and 3 away games. A threat by Georgetown to join the Pioneer League or go independent would be enough to thwart any rule changes they didn't like.

2. Even if the PL did have leverage, basketball is king at Georgetown by such a wide margin that if the basketball coach didn't want to play PL teams, then it wouldn't happen. The school would pull football from the PL - or even shut it down, as an extreme example - before they would do anything the basketball coach didn't want.

3. There is a somewhat similar, but opposite, agreement in place with Army and Navy where they have agreed to play PL teams in football. As you know, Bucknell played Army a few years ago. Also reportedly had an agreement in place to play Navy before Chet Gladchuk supposedly got mad about Bucknell taking a Navy transfer who left after freshman summer camp.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.19 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:40 PM