Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#22390)
Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
01-05-19 09:07 PM - Post#271468    
    In response to jeromelh

The coach working with Aririguzoh deserves a raise.

He's turned into a monster.

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
01-05-19 09:13 PM - Post#271470    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

I think the coaches don't really trust Morales handling the ball against a good defense. Even today, he had two turnovers in just 10 minutes. Each one came with Llewellyn on the bench, and Henderson immediately put Jaelin back in after each one.

I'm pretty confident that Jaelin's shooting will come back, especially his midrange jumper. I don't think he's expected to be a three point shooter, but he should be solid on the 10-15 ft jumper in the paint.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Pennsylvania
01-05-19 09:18 PM - Post#271471    
    In response to jeromelh

Ugly but beautiful win! The Tigers looked like they downshifted when the went up 8 down the stretch—something that cost us dearly in league play last year. They would have done better to keep grinding but instead tried to run clock—which just doesn’t seem to work with the 30 second clock. Jaelin and DC3 shooting was woeful but they really took care of the ball well (until the horendous TO at the end.) Crowd was biggest and loudest we’ve had in a while—even without many (any?) students. The Jumbotron is starting to grow on me.

Edited by TigerFan on 01-05-19 09:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
01-05-19 09:35 PM - Post#271473    
    In response to TigerFan

Looking at the box score, Pennsylvania's 15 turnovers jump right out.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Pennsylvania
01-05-19 10:23 PM - Post#271480    
    In response to TigerFan

Richmond is not a traditional Tiger center and thank goodness. His inprovemebt is phenomenal. He is a warrior. Stephens 16 rebounds on a bad wheel. Cannady is ferocious. Core toughness 2 seniors and a junior. Toughness and hard nosed B.B. still wins with sufficient skill set. At the end of the day, the Tigers only held serve but the Palestinians game should be another fierce battle.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-05-19 11:16 PM - Post#271482    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

Myles commented post-game that Tigers lost 4 OT games last year in IL play and the team wanted to stop that trend -- easier said than done.

So many of these games come down to one shot or one turnover or something random that happens. The randomness of who wins and loses makes watching these games interesting but not good for one's heart. It is always interesting to have statistics cited prior to the start of these games but I become more convinced that they are simply data points and too much more than that.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-06-19 10:02 AM - Post#271507    
    In response to TigerFan

The play that symbolized the effort of the Tigers occurred when Stephens missed a somewhat wild shot and hit the floor hard. Penn went on a fast break and got off a relatively quick shot that missed and Stephens sored over over two Penn bigs including Brodeur to get the rebound. Tigers got more loose balls for a change. DesRosiers and Much's intensity on the defensive end has improved but a return of Gladson for 6-8 minutes would help especially to put Bodeur and Rothschild on the foul line.

Scoreboard is an improvement regarding replays but I know a few Quaker fans still do not like the ambiance of Jadwin and were very dissapointed as to the wait time to get a hot dog.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-06-19 12:24 PM - Post#271517    
    In response to bradley

From my limited perspective on Princeton (saw last nights game, ASU, Duke games) I can't see any reason, with a healthy lineup and Aririguzoh playing at a high level, they can't compete for an IL title this year. Richmond's abilities at both ends, combined with the other pieces you have, dramatically change the ceiling of this team.

Injuries could seriously change the outlook obviously.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
01-06-19 01:38 PM - Post#271532    
    In response to bradley

Count me as one Quaker fan who applauds the improvements to Jadwin, video board is quite cool and first class, loved the new seats replacing the bleachers behind the benches. I was dreading sitting through two games on them at my age and the lousy view from angle and distance. The new seats were VERY comfortable and roomy(beat chairbacks at Palestra) and you felt like you were in the action instead of in a dome.

I've always used the concessions behind the basket which have good sitting areas. Do miss it however when I think the food was brought in from local restaurants, picking were pretty poor and standard arena stuff.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-06-19 01:56 PM - Post#271534    
    In response to PennFan10

As usual, when this team is getting turnovers from the opponent and winning at least its share of the 50-50 balls and rebounds, it's tough to beat, despite other deficiencies that crop up with some frequency. The Tigers had 12 more FGA yesterday and only one fewer FTA. They've been consistently pretty good at denying easy treys to dangerous shooters, and they've been able to find at least a couple of good offensive matchups in almost every game.

One sign that the sophomore forwards were on in this game is that Much had three assists and zero turnovers in 22 minutes and Desrosiers had the same in 29 minutes. Plus they were collectively 4-9 from three, compensating for the rest of the team's outside shooting woes.

And Aririguzoh and Stephens were beasts.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-06-19 03:36 PM - Post#271538    
    In response to SRP

I could not attend or watch the game so I have been trying to connect the dots in reading about this win. My superficial takeaways:

1. Princeton did not have any league wins like this last year, so that is encouraging ... and beating a good Penn team indicates that the playoffs are within reach
2. Aririguzoh was the difference maker and is a player other teams will need to factor into their game plans, also very encouraging and reminiscent of when Kareem Maddox and Henry Caruso unexpectedly emerged as elite Ivy players
3. As noted in other posts, the sophs showed up and have become dependable members of the rotation
4. Defense must have been really good given 15 Penn TOs although it seems that the Quaker faithful’s view is that Penn performed poorly and beat themselves
5. Lots of “ugly win” comments; I assume somehow beating Penn without the Tigers’ two biggest offensive weapons contributing much is the story there; I saw at least one Penn poster say Princeton wouldn’t win if Devin had an off night, so it is good to see that they have more than one way to bring home a victory

Glass half empty narrative is that Princeton got lucky because Penn had a bad night. Glass half full is that Cannady and Llewellyn are unlikely to be simultaneous no-shows again, yet they still beat a good team whose best player had a strong game.

We will learn more about this year’s team at the Palestra.

Go Tigers!

bradley 
PhD Student

01-06-19 05:36 PM - Post#271552    
    In response to Tiger81

For not watching the game, good summary with a few minor edits. Not all of the 15 Penn turnovers were a function of Princeton defense as almost half of them were a result of careless ball handling. DesRosiers and Much performance over the past two games has been pretty darn good but no guarantee that it will continue. When Richmnond went out in the 2nd half, DesRosiers vs. Much guarded Brodeur which was telling after Brodeur ate up Much in the 1st half.

Wang is an impressive physical specimen for a freshmen with the ability to shoot long 3s' with some inside game that will be better over time. Mitch had Stephens guard Wang at times along with Woods and Goodman when he started going successfully to the hoop - Stephens is a multi-dimensional defender.

I would go with your story on both ends as to the glass being half empty or full although I would give an edge to the narrative that Cannady and Llewellyn will not have a shooting game remotely similar to last evening.

Finally, although Yale had a shaky OT win last evening both Penn and Princeton should be concerned about Yale, Harvard and Brown. RPI has Brown winning it at 10-4 followed by Yale 9-5 although their analysis is probably wrong as well as meaningless.

Without IvyMadness, the regular season would be even more crazy and competitive this year.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-06-19 06:39 PM - Post#271557    
    In response to bradley

From what little I've seen, Yale is a talented and poised outfit with lots of pieces that work together well. They are not the defensive junkyard dogs they were back in the days of Sears, but they are a lot prettier on offense with a multitude of scoring threats and good teamwork. Princeton will have to play in its upper range to win those games.

I am not 100% sold on the net positive impact of Llewelyn this season, although I fervently hope to be proven wrong. His defense has been better than I thought it would be, but his floor game offensively looks so-so and his shooting hasn't been great either. He plays with great confidence and a steady demeanor, which puts a good face on his performance and is salutary for team morale, but I think he has a lot of learning to do this season. Hope it happens fast, because MH has clearly committed to him.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-06-19 07:33 PM - Post#271565    
    In response to SRP

What will Mitch do differently, if anything, on offense at the Palestra?

I would have Arirguzoh continue to go to the hoop early and often. Penn can put Rotschild on Richmond if Brodeur gets in foul trouble but Richmond can score on either. Seems like the best option although I guess that they can double up on Arirguzoh if need be but Richmond is an ok passer.

Next option is have Myles, if healthy, take Woods down deep and use his height and jumping ability for short jumpers although Penn did give him a double look several times but Richmond needs to give Myles more room to maneuver.

Third option is get the ball more into the hands of Devin and have him go to the hoop and pass it out to DesRosiers, Much and Stephens for 3 pt shots.

Fourth option is to give Morales some additional minutes vs. Jaelin as he brings something different to the floor or somehow, Jaelin finally gets some baskets by going to the hoop.

Finally, Devin hits on a few open looks that he had a 3 pt shooter. The likelihood of Devin and Llewellyn going 7 for 34 and 0-9 on 3s' is probably unlikely.

Let's see what happens but 62 points will probably not work again.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-06-19 07:44 PM - Post#271568    
    In response to SRP

Both Penn and Princeton have the talent to compete with Yale and Harvard (perhaps Brown)this year. I don’t see any reason that’s not the case. Both these teams match up well with Yale. It will be very competitive in the IL.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-06-19 07:46 PM - Post#271569    
    In response to bradley

Neither of these teams are likely to shoot less than 30% from 3 again. It’s not just DC and JL. Penn will shoot the ball much closer to their season average at home.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
01-06-19 08:29 PM - Post#271571    
    In response to SRP

Hi

I respectively disagree with you about Lewellyn's floor game. It is Morales who I have a problem with. Lewellyn's floor game is solid and he is an excellent floor general and ball handler. His shooting has been subpar as has been his shot selection, but we need him on the floor and MH agrees. One problem he has is dealing with the physicality of the college game, but he will adjust. He is probably the best all around guard who has come to Princeton in years.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-06-19 09:09 PM - Post#271577    
    In response to jeromelh

I agree with you that Jaelin does a good job of protecting the ball although he does put an occasional scare into you as he keeps the ball in front of his body. The fact that ASU and particularly Duke could not steal the ball from him says a lot. He is not intimidated which is key. Duke stole the ball a bunch of times from the Yale guards.

The challenge will be if he does not starting hitting some shots, the defense will provide less help on him and avoid him giving open looks to 3 pt shooters. He appears to be struggling with the physicality of the college game going to the hoop.

Mitch needs to stay with him and hopefully if the Tigers make IvyMadness, Jaelin will be an offensive force. He can certainly get to the basket and create shots on his own. Morales does provide a change of pace if needed.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-06-19 11:58 PM - Post#271588    
    In response to bradley

Llewelyn is not generating very many assists, nor successfully breaking down the defense. He is a strong dribbler and hard to dispossess, but I don't see him so far as a plus passer against good defense. I'm hopeful that he will get a better feel for the angles as the games roll on.

Naturally, if he could hit some shots it would also be a huge help. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some breakout games from three, especially if teams lay off him based on early performance.

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
01-07-19 12:35 AM - Post#271589    
    In response to SRP

Llewellyn had 8 assists against Iona and 7 against Duke, and his total of 26 in just 6 games is already second on the team, only behind Morales with 30.

Keep in mind that Llewellyn missed the first seven games with an injury, and then he got hurt again in the Lafayette game. He hasn't found his shot yet, but his ball-handling and defense have been very good. He's only played 6 games so far, including road games at St Johns, Duke, and Arizona State. Strangely, his two best games so far were the first two in his career, but I'm confident that he'll get back to the player we saw against St Johns and Iona.

Page 5 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.164 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:19 PM