Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#22390)
Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
01-07-19 01:57 AM - Post#271591    
    In response to westcoast

Llewellyn also averaged 20 pts his first 2 games. What we all saw wasn’t an hallucination. He was unbelievable. I doubt I was the only one thinking we just added the best guard in the league to our team ( granted, a little euphoric)

To go from that level of expectation to watching him miss open shot, after open shot, including what could’ve been the redeeming game winner, then missing front end of crucial one and one, and then making a catastrophic turnover, was excruciating.

I still think he’s the real deal. I just hope he doesn’t have nagging injury. If he’s healthy, I think he gets back confidence in his shot, and plays at all ivy level. Please, please, please let him find his shot early on Saturday, and don’t let him lose it again.

Btw interesting that Mitch left him in despite his obvious struggles. Wonder which weighed more heavily in decision - this game or long term benefit of showing confidence in a young player.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Pennsylvania
01-07-19 09:26 AM - Post#271599    
    In response to Petrie

JL’s half court bounce pass on the break to Myles for the layup with the Tigers down 9 and 12 minutes to play in the first half was a huge turning point in the game. He shooting was off and the TO at the end of the game was brutal but this kid is the real deal and Mitch should stick with him.

Edited by TigerFan on 01-07-19 09:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
01-07-19 10:38 AM - Post#271605    
    In response to Petrie

• Petrie Said:
Llewellyn also averaged 20 pts his first 2 games. What we all saw wasn’t an hallucination. He was unbelievable. I doubt I was the only one thinking we just added the best guard in the league to our team ( granted, a little euphoric)

Geoff:
You're too modest to allow it to come from you; but we'll let it be known he'll never catch you (except perhaps in expository writing skills)!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Pennsylvania
01-07-19 10:43 AM - Post#271606    
    In response to TigerFan

It was a great pass although Stephens made an incredible athletic move to capture it and make the shot going underneath the basket. I believe that it was right after Silpe missed the lay up which may have also been a turning point.

Jaelin made a bad inbounds pass to Devin at the end of the game although Devin should have stayed away from Llewellyn vs getting closer to him. Cannady also made a bad play at the end of the ASU game as he was going out of bounds by not throwing the ball high towards mid court as Walton was yelling at him to do. On Saturday night, DesRosiers did a bad job in getting close to Brodeur to foul him with 6.5 seconds and Barnes did a bad job in letting Goodman running down uncontested prior to 3 pt shot. DesRosiers could have punched Goodman's shot to mid court as well. Any of these plays could have and maybe should have resulted in a loss.

Post-game video with Coach, Stephens and Arirguzoh was interesting. Henderson gave his usual coach talk although he believes that the Tigers are a different team vs. the team that traveled out to ASU. He and Stephens raved about the performance of Arirguzoh. Henderson needs to work on the "little things" like successfully getting the ball inbounds as the margin of error is slim in these games.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-07-19 11:32 AM - Post#271611    
    In response to bradley

Time to start figuring out how we can win at The Cathedral. First, we need some 3's from Cannady. Penn held him w/o even 1, which had not happened since the game in Cambridge (where he was shutout!!!) in his sophomore year. BTW, Tigers won that one also. Second, we need some offense from Jaelin. He can be a difference maker. Penn defensed both quite well, obviously by design, but they will get good looks. Third, Much and Derosiers need to play at least as well as they did Saturday. Fourth, Myles and RA must continue their phenomenal inside presence. We may see some doubling on AJ. It looked to me that the kids finally figured out that AJ, while he can go either way, is not as comfortable going to his left. All of our game planning will be meaningless if Max and Wang are close to their peak. They were not on Saturday. Penn will be favored at home. RA is clearly building an All-Ivy resume which no one expected.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
01-07-19 03:18 PM - Post#271695    
    In response to bradley

HI
you said "Jaelin made a bad inbounds pass to Devin at the end of the game although Devin should have stayed away from Llewellyn vs getting closer to him."

I disagree. It was actually Devin's fault. For some reason, he stopped and turned back to Lewellyn instead of just continuing straight ahead.

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
01-07-19 04:02 PM - Post#271703    
    In response to jeromelh

When I first saw the play I thought it was a bad pass by Jaelin. After seeing the replay (and after having watched Princeton run that out-of-bounds play for more than 40 years) I agree with you. Devin should have faded away from Jaelin, not run toward him.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

01-07-19 04:39 PM - Post#271713    
    In response to Bryan

RA Ivy Player of the Week!!!

bradley 
PhD Student

01-08-19 10:36 AM - Post#271761    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Based on y-t-d team stats on Ivy Sports, the Tigers are primarily in the bottom half of most statistical categories other than FT shooting and turnovers. In relative terms to Yale, Brown, Harvard and Penn, it is not very impressive. One encouraging stat is that Yale (5), Brown (4) and the Tigers (3) are on winning streaks but as we know that can change quickly if Princeton does not perform better.

It is somewhat remarkable that they are 8-5 with some of the clunkers but they have won close games this year primarily against not so great of teams. One plus is that three players can create their own shots at game's end -- one only has to look at Cannady's floater with less than a minute to go in OT.

Mitch stated that Princeton is a different team prior to going to ASU but let's see if that statement is backed by reality. He also stated that they need to be a different, and better team, by IvyMadness time if they are going to be successful.

Time will tell.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-08-19 05:45 PM - Post#271794    
    In response to bradley

Getting more FGA (via turnover + rebounding advantage) and shooting more threes than the opponent while staying about even on FTA is going to be the formula for this group, I think. Maybe the on-ball defense will continue to improve to the point that they win without those elements via a better shooting percentage on two-point attempts, or maybe the offensive three-point shooting percentage picks up, but I have a feeling that those two are going to be up and down fluctuations around what we've seen so far. So Morales's ability to harass opposing guards and get steals and deflections is important for this team and I'd hate to see his minutes drop off too much.

I'm not saying Llewelyn isn't a very impressive freshman--I'm impressed--but in conference play it's probably going to look a lot more like what we saw against Penn than what he could get away with against non-conference opponents. So he needs to adapt quickly for Princeton to have a good season given that he is going to log big minutes.

I'm not asking for the senior season of TJ Bray (well, I can ask for it, but I'm not going to get it), but he and DC3 are going to have to get their spacing and timing down, he's going to have to learn to use his dribbling ability to get to good passing spots and not just rim drives, etc. Llewelyn, in his own different way, could provide the defense-upsetting ball movement the team has missed since Weisz's departure, which would make everybody else look a lot better at shooting and getting open.

Very good thing that Aririguzoh is fulfilling the optimists' hopes about him. And it was heartening to see Stephens look like the guy we remembered from his DPOY season--not forcing the offense while making frequent strong defensive and rebounding plays. Hope that knee of his isn't giving him too much pain. We just need all the parts to gel at the same time and keep playing like scrappy, angry underdogs.

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
01-08-19 09:50 PM - Post#271811    

• JadwinGeorge Said:
RA Ivy Player of the Week!!!

I have a feeling the first of many.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-08-19 09:57 PM - Post#271812    
    In response to SRP

I’ll take grit in close games over stats every time. So far, the Tigers are 5-0 in games decided by five points or less this year. I remember being amazed at how tough the 2010-11 team was in close games—they went 10-2 in games decidedby five points or less that year, including winning nine in a row close ones until the heart breaker against Kentucky.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-09-19 11:00 AM - Post#271835    
    In response to SRP

Coach Hendershow show last night. Bottom line was that Saturday's game was not particularly well played by both teams and the Tigers were fortunate to win. Many of these close games come down to 4 to 5 plays in reguation and up to 10 plays in OT. He talked about the contributions of Arirguzoh and Stephens and mentioned Myles picking upself off the floor on the offensive end after an awkward missed shot and skying over two teammates to get a defensive rebound. He thinks that the 4 straight OT losses last year has been a tough but good learning experience.

DesRosiers and Coach MacConnell participated. DesRosiers talked about sharing his knowledge regarding former teammate Brodeur with Richmond and others. DesRosiers actually guarded AJ during the game.

MacConnell claimed that the keys to the upcoming game are:
1. Contain Brodeuer and do not get into foul trouble
2. Box out better than the last game
3. Play good one on one defense against Goodman and Woods when they go the basket
4. Deal with a healthier Wang

They sounded excited and reasonably confident going into the Palestra. Time will tell.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

01-09-19 12:02 PM - Post#271839    
    In response to bradley

"Time will tell" I agree

bradley 
PhD Student

01-10-19 09:45 AM - Post#271929    

Coach stated that the toughest job at the Palestra may be the referee job. He described the Penn games as two of the most physical games of the year, conference or non-conference. Refs in the first game allowed a good deal of physical contact and it will be interesting to see if Saturday's refs try to get control of the game early which may result in foul troubles for either or both sides.

Spread should be somewhere between 4 1/2 to 5 pts. ESPN projects Penn as having a 76% chance to win the game. Princeton needs to take early blows from Penn and counter punch similar to last weekend.

Should be a fun game to watch at the historic Palestra.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
01-10-19 12:38 PM - Post#271958    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:

Princeton needs to take early blows from Penn and counter punch similar to last weekend.

Or similar to the Brian Earl game.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-10-19 05:54 PM - Post#272007    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

• 1LotteryPick1969 Said:
  • bradley Said:

Princeton needs to take early blows from Penn and counter punch similar to last weekend.

Or similar to the Brian Earl game.

Oh, right, I remember that one. We (Penn) jumped out to a 29-3 lead and some immature Penn fans started chanting,"You've got 3 pts., you've got 3 pts.,...) before Princeton turned it around to win by one. Well, Black Tuesday turned out fine in the long run because we went to Jadwin for the season finale and the title on the line and beat the Tigers by 25. At least Princeton fans exited the gym and surrendered the hangar to us to cut down the nets, unlike at Columbia where they raised the baskets immediately and wouldn't let us celebrate on the court.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-10-19 05:57 PM - Post#272008    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Refs in the first game allowed a good deal of physical contact and it will be interesting to see if Saturday's refs try to get control of the game early which may result in foul troubles for either or both sides.

Oh, right, Sebastian Much's big left hand pushoff along the baseline. Yeah, the refs did let that stuff go.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-10-19 07:37 PM - Post#272021    
    In response to LyleGold

I would expect a better game this time around by Princeton’s guards and for us to handle RA better.

If Princeton wants to play Penn the same way I tell AJ to really take it to them and get them in foul trouble. Hopefully the real Wang appears in this one. That might be the ultimate difference.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
01-10-19 08:27 PM - Post#272029    
    In response to LyleGold

• LyleGold Said:

some immature Penn fans started chanting,"You've got 3 pts., you've got 3 pts.,

You know you were chanting too.

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.262 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:41 AM