Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: North Carolina        (Topic#22402)
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-04-19 11:41 AM - Post#271077    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

At some point, you guys should take a page of Tommy's book and stop talking about 2 guys who haven't played in a year plus and are out "indefinitely". Harvard's team is what it is at this point, which is a very competitive IL contender that will live and die by their defense and ability to make 3's.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-04-19 11:53 AM - Post#271081    
    In response to PennFan10

I don't think you read the posts correctly. But thanks and hope you're wrong. Good thing Penn board hasn't been focused on injuries.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-04-19 01:08 PM - Post#271087    
    In response to bradley

I don't know that there were high, high expectations for Spencer to start. I didn't really expect him to get on the court much if Bryce had been healthy.

Spencer is an elite passer and a strong shooter with a decent first step (especially change of pace) and ability to handle the ball under pressure. All of that will translate well to this level over time. That being said, the physicality of Division I basketball and the stuff that he can't do at this level that he could get away with in high school is clearly bothering him. That, combined with what we already knew he may never be good at - on-ball defense - has led to freshman struggles.

None of that is a surprise, and he should still develop into what he projected to be: a very steady offensive player that is a bit of a liability on the defensive end.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-04-19 01:22 PM - Post#271090    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
I don't think you read the posts correctly. But thanks and hope you're wrong. Good thing Penn board hasn't been focused on injuries.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your posts. In your specific post you mention Seth and Bryce 10x each. That's a lot of talk about guys who aren't playing and are "out indefinitely".

I don't think those guys are coming back and don't see why they should. Penn fans are talking about injured players that are out days/weeks not months/years. Not much analysis on Ryan Betley or Jelani Williams on Penn Board.

I get it. If they are coming back its practical to discuss how they fit in. I have a different (completely speculative) view. I am more curious on Harvard's prospects as a team without them and who will step up. I watched UNC game and the defense was as impressive as ever. The scoring seems problematic if teams have guys who match up with Lewis and Kirkwood specifically.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-04-19 01:43 PM - Post#271092    
    In response to PennFan10

Just to be clear, Betley and Jelani are out for the year officially. Aiken and Towns are not and so far have missed zero Ivy games.

I assume they will be back this season, and I think others do as well - thus it makes a lot of sense to discuss how they'll fit in when they return. At this point your objection has been noted - and I'm sure you'll be back to remind everyone in March if both don't see the floor.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-04-19 01:56 PM - Post#271093    
    In response to PennFan10

I understand your point. I intended my post to respond to a prior post regarding what the Crimson currently have. I tried to refer to Bryce and Seth empirically, in terms of what the current squad is missing, needs to develop, or could add.

As for speculation, TV announcers covering the GW game reported that both Seth and Bryce were working out on the court before that game. The pre-game video actually showed Seth dressed and under a basket. likely significantly prior to the game. Their prospects could or may have changed, I don't see any reporting to that extent.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-04-19 02:14 PM - Post#271099    

HVGD: understood. I don't see any reporting at all except for TA's recent comments.

MrJ: I hear you. You assume(hope) they'll be back and I assume they won't. Either way, this is the last you will see me post on the topic.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-04-19 02:36 PM - Post#271102    
    In response to PennFan10

Most televised Harvard games have started with a reference to the injured players and an update. Although updates are not precise, the GW pre-game described how the players were on the court before the game working out.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
01-05-19 12:44 PM - Post#271170    
    In response to mrjames

I read it as the man broaching a legitimate topic of concern/interest in a respectful manner; and I hope he feels encouraged to continue as such.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.239 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:46 PM