Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Maine        (Topic#22405)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-02-19 10:40 PM - Post#270923    

Ugly win after a good start. Shot 3's well but D was not good in the second half. 10-29 from the FT line.
Badly out rebounded by a big and very physical team.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Maine
01-03-19 12:26 AM - Post#270943    
    In response to Old Bear

I think you mean 19-20 from the line but I agree with the rest.

I actually think this was exactly the game Brown needed. High coming off two good wins, facing a team they know they should beat by 15, I don’t mind that they had a grind-it-out game where they still made plays and found a way to win. They could have lost this game and I’m very glad they held on to win it. That was good. How many close games did this team drop last year, and when you look at the first two games of the season, you wondered if more was to come.

Maine isn’t very good but they really clicked on offense in the 2nd half. Their point guard threw three of the most incredible back doors I’ve ever seen, and they kept scraping away. They had some nice performances too.

The game highlighted the potential for Brown variance - all in the same game. Dez gets three point shooting hot, they defend with energy and they’re up 19-3. They go somewhat cold and lose their intensity, and they get outscored by a painful offensive team the rest of the way.

Big difference with and without Dez on the floor in the second half. But mostly they just lost some rhythm and energy. Either way you’ve got to keep that guy from cramping.

Looks like Anderson is now the first guard off the bench. Can’t say I disagree with the strategy. I know how good he can be, but until he can shoot / finish somewhat consistently and play a style that creates more for others and that turns it over less, feels like having him in a spot role makes sense.

Nice cameo from Mitchell today, and while Choh wasn’t all that productive, how about those clutch FTs down the stretch. He looks confident and he’s regained some FT touch. Well done.

Happy to get the win on a day where they were spotty.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
Maine
01-04-19 09:43 AM - Post#271064    
    In response to Bruno

With regards to Anderson coming off the bench, I am not sure if this is a permanent or temporary situation. During the Marist game, the announcers mentioned that he had an injury (to his hip, I believe) that kept him out of the Stony Brook game. He has been working his way back since that time.

Anderson has been starting since the beginning of his first year and is one of the league's best scorers and point guards. While his scoring and shooting percentages are down, Hunsaker's numbers do not seem to justify keeping Anderson on the bench when he is back at full strength.

Edited by rbg on 01-04-19 09:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

01-05-19 01:15 AM - Post#271150    
    In response to rbg

That’s how it started but - and this is pure speculation - I think his hip is in good shape and his coming off the bench is now more by design. I could be wrong.

They’ve won four games in a row without Anderson starting - three of which they weren’t projected to win. My sense is that the offense has worked better under Hunsaker. He’s not over-dribbling, he’s not getting stuffed at the rim, and he’s not turning the ball over or getting stripped. Or maybe it’s just as simple as he’s not holding it as much as Anderson does, and that allows Dez to have the ball in his hands more.

I am a big Anderson guy. Love a point who can do what he can do. I think he is a top talent. But the reality is that even with his improved three point shooting, he hasn’t scored from the field efficiently enough to justify how much he has the ball in his hands. He gets his points from the line, which he isn’t getting to as often. I think having him come off the bench in spots is a great change of pace, and may focus his game a little more.

I really don’t know what’s behind the scenes here but that’s my view.

HGA 
Sophomore

Loc: New York
Reg: 10-16-18
01-06-19 01:24 PM - Post#271528    
    In response to Bruno

Anderson has been playing injured. He should be fine come the Ivys.

Bruno 
PhD Student

01-07-19 01:44 PM - Post#271660    
    In response to HGA

They will need him at 100 pct if they’re going to make Ivy noise. He’s the best penetrator on the team and no other guard can get inside and collapse a defense like he can.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.563 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:59 PM