Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Rotation        (Topic#22421)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-06-19 06:03 PM - Post#271554    

We were kind of an iron 6 down the stretch yesterday. And when Max needed a rest, we played 4 guards. May just be Wang’s ankle, but it surprised me a little and left me wondering whether we will see more 4 guard during the Ivy season. My preference is to stick to the 2 big lineup almost exclusively. May be raising a false issue, but maybe Jeff will jump in to argue for 4 guards.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Rotation
01-07-19 09:53 AM - Post#271601    
    In response to SomeGuy

First off, when you're down to 6 people you trust, there aren't really any good options. This isn't the 1970s, you generally can't win with 6 players. So there are some things I love with 4 guards and AJ (SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACIIIIIIII IIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG GGG) but these arguably aren't the right four guards when two of them are jake and dev from a height perspective and it asks a lot of Bryce, who while he will be ready for it eventually, probably doesn't have the heft to play 4 (Antonio can slide to 3 without missing too many beats). It also leaves them no margin for error as they are basically our only four guards. I would much prefer to invest the time in Jarrod or Eddie and I feel like if you can trust Eddie to play against Villanova, you can steal a few minutes with him subbing for Max.

But if it's not bleedingly obvious that Mike Wang is our 2nd best player by now, it never will be to you all. Everything flows better with Mike being our 4 than any other combination. Our 3 game losing streak correlates directly with Mike's ankle. We were beating Toledo before getting blown out after Mike left the game. We lose to an 0-12 team with Mike out. We lose a heartbreaker to Princeton with a half-speed Mike. In fact, we all assumed (or should have assumed) that losing Ryan Betley would torpedo our season. We'd struggle to get to the 4 seed. The fact we were top 100, that we markedly improved while losing such a critical piece has to be largely attributed to Mike. Everything else was there before, but being able to have a 6'10 efficiently bomb shots is bananas. And yet some people want the glue guy to start.

It's the Mike-onomy, stupid.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: otation
01-07-19 11:20 AM - Post#271608    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:

But if it's not bleedingly obvious that Mike Wang is our 2nd best player by now, it never will be to you all.

In fact, we all assumed (or should have assumed) that losing Ryan Betley would torpedo our season.

I think we all agree Mike is very important to this team, but the claim that he is our 2nd best (i.e. most valuable) player right now is debatable. I would nominate Woods for that distinction given all the ways he contributes. Between drawing all the hardest defensive assignments and bring up the ball in key situations and the ability to create in a way nobody else can on this club.

The main reason losing Ryan has not torpedoed this team is that Bryce has stepped into that very role pretty effectively - a pleasant surprise to me after watching his first few games.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-07-19 11:24 AM - Post#271609    
    In response to Streamers

I could see Woods as 2, for sure. But ultimately his efficiency is down and 100 is a pretty ordinary ORAT and his defense just isn't quite good enough to hold down the 2nd spot.

And I like Bryce, I do. I even dedicated a thread to him. But, no, Mike's the guy. Mike is doing things on offense we only hoped AJ would do. Is his defense below average? Sure, but it doesn't matter as much as offense and of course his offense is just so, so superior.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-07-19 11:45 AM - Post#271618    
    In response to Jeff2sf

As to Bryce, all I meant is that he has softened the blow of losing Betley - not where he ranks on the team.

I do think you are underrating Woods' defense though.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-07-19 11:50 AM - Post#271620    
    In response to Streamers

FWIW from a Tiger perspective, Wang scares the bejeezus out of me. No one else (other than AJ) is close. If he is at full steam your team is a lot better.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-07-19 11:55 AM - Post#271622    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
As to Bryce, all I meant is that he has softened the blow of losing Betley - not where he ranks on the team.

I do think you are underrating Woods' defense though.

No, man, not at all. The fact that I'm willing to consider Antonio as the 2nd best player despite a very ordinary 100 ORat means I know that he's very good at that. But individual defense is only worth, what, 30%? 40% at the very most, of a person's contribution? I think we need to stop right there and gain agreement on that point. It's not as simple as offense/defense is 50/50, especially for non-centers. I suspect that's the mistake too many people on here are making.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-07-19 01:26 PM - Post#271656    
    In response to Jeff2sf

OK, let's leave it there.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
01-07-19 02:33 PM - Post#271678    
    In response to Streamers

I'm in agreement that we need Wang healthy to win. After we lost Jelani and Ryan to injuries, we still were able to beat Villanova and Miami with our iron 7. Then we were without Max but still able to win at New Mexico with an iron 6. We even led at Toledo with that same iron 6, but losing Mike on top of those other injuries proved too much. We weren't even able to beat Monmouth with only 5 of our top 9 healthy. But thanks to the Ivy League tournament, these games aren't as serious as they were a few years ago. We can go 0-for-January, get healthy, and still win the league. I'm hopeful that Mike will be healthy for this Saturday's rematch, but even if he isn't it's not the end of the season like it might have been a few years ago.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
01-07-19 02:54 PM - Post#271688    
    In response to 13otto

Yeah really. Who cares about beating Princeton. We have the tournament.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
01-07-19 04:35 PM - Post#271711    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
Yeah really. Who cares about beating Princeton. We have the tournament.

Personally, I think the road to the tournament gets more difficult if they sweep us.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-07-19 09:31 PM - Post#271732    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Just to be clear, Mike’s the guy who disappeared when we went iron 6 down the stretch. I would prefer not to see that again.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-07-19 09:35 PM - Post#271734    
    In response to SomeGuy

yes, i answered your question about the iron 6 and 4 guards given you don't have mike and then pivoted.

if we're at an iron 6, we don't have many good options. expand to jarrod, 4 guards, whatevs.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

01-08-19 02:15 PM - Post#271776    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Just to be clear, Mike’s the guy who disappeared when we went iron 6 down the stretch. I would prefer not to see that again.

I was wondering what happened. His ankle must have been an issue, although I didn't notice him tweaking it again. Could also have been precautionary.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-08-19 02:53 PM - Post#271777    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Donahue's comments from The DP:

Notably present on the court for the Red and Blue was the forward duo of senior Max Rothschild and freshman Michael Wang, who both missed the team's last game due to injuries.

Rothschild put up three points, six rebounds, and three assists in his return, while a still-recovering Wang played less than usual and finished with four points and another six boards.

"I thought Max was almost 100 percent but Michael hadn't played in a while," Donahue said. "Not that he wasn't trying, but it's difficult for a freshman that hasn't played in 10 days to come out and help us."

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

01-08-19 04:40 PM - Post#271788    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
Donahue's comments from The DP:

Notably present on the court for the Red and Blue was the forward duo of senior Max Rothschild and freshman Michael Wang, who both missed the team's last game due to injuries.

Rothschild put up three points, six rebounds, and three assists in his return, while a still-recovering Wang played less than usual and finished with four points and another six boards.

"I thought Max was almost 100 percent but Michael hadn't played in a while," Donahue said. "Not that he wasn't trying, but it's difficult for a freshman that hasn't played in 10 days to come out and help us."

Coach knows his team better than I do, but I am still of the opinion that Wang should've been out there in the second half. I don't think he really had enough of a run to find his rhythm, and more time might have helped. He's someone the defense has to account for even if his shot's not falling, given how good a passer he is. That would have helped our spacing.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.956 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:26 AM