Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: I like Bryce Washington        (Topic#22423)
Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
01-07-19 10:06 AM - Post#271604    

a 47% 3 point rate on 4 attempts a game. that's so cool.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Re: I like Bryce Washington
01-07-19 06:49 PM - Post#271725    
    In response to Jeff2sf

What's really remarkable is how often he takes the first shot (and scores the first points) of the game for us. He came out of the gate like a veteran, not a freshman.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Re: I like Bryce Washington
01-07-19 09:33 PM - Post#271733    
    In response to LyleGold

I’m also curious how many shots he has hit when the game is within one possession. He seems to have a knack for those (if such a thing exists).

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
01-08-19 02:02 AM - Post#271742    
    In response to SomeGuy

The funny thing about it is that I used to cringe when he took a three. His shot is sort of flat and he looks slightly misaligned. His shot looked fair, but not as pure as others (Betley). Well, it's hard to argue with the results.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

01-08-19 11:32 AM - Post#271765    
    In response to Penndemonium

I know what you mean - he kind of launches it off of his shoulder.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
01-12-19 02:15 AM - Post#272159    
    In response to LyleGold

I’m a little late to the game, but I’m also a big fan of Washington!

If anything, I’d like to see a bit more of him as he is our most reliable 3 point shooter at this point, I like his on the ball defense (team defense still needs a little work), and I feel like he is starting to realize that if people overplay him outside that he has the speed and athleticism to get to the rim or FT line (he is also our best FT shooter).

This might be a little unpopular but I think Washington should play a little more mins and Silpe a little less. Silpe has been good on def but ineffective on offense since Nova (his ORATs don’t tell a good story since then). Not a knock against Silpe as I’m a fan, but I think a little less time is optimal.

I think 15 mins for Silpe and 30 mins for Washington would be a good mix. Most importantly, based on what we’ve seen of Washington, 51% of time played is just too low barring foul trouble.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-12-19 09:29 AM - Post#272166    
    In response to Mike Porter

Best thing about Bryce is the rate of his improvement in all aspects game-game. He’s still a freshman, but he’s really taken some of the sting out of losing Betley.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-06-19 10:11 AM - Post#275193    
    In response to Streamers

Washington gets his 2nd straight Rookie of the Week award and third in the last five weeks.

https://pennathletics.com/news/2019/2/4/mens-ba ske...

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/three-cheers-bry c...

LyleGold 
PhD Student

02-06-19 12:52 PM - Post#275230    
    In response to rbg

Don't forget that Wang won Rookie of the Week a couple of times before his injury. I don't think that was a fluke. He'll be back. Interesting that Bryce has shown no signs of hitting the freshman wall. This second consecutive road weekend will reveal a great deal about that. The next two weekends should be easier on both of our freshman stars.

Between Bryce and Wang, we are in great shape for the future, which hopefully includes the down the stretch this season.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

02-07-19 10:14 AM - Post#275312    
    In response to LyleGold

Washington and Wang have both exceeded expectations. Mike has been taking a lot of 25 foot shots and hasn't been on target as he had been in the first part of the season. The offense isn't getting him great outside looks and his production has been down. Bryce on the other hand remains our best outside threat and is doing a very nice job on the boards.

Both have been exposed on defense especially by our first few Ivy games because Ivy teams run a lot of dribble hand offs and high ball screens. Bryce needs more strength, has trouble fighting over those screens and is also getting beaten off the dribble (as many of our players have). Mike has been exposed some by other Ivy bigs and of course we are not talking about fabulous D1 players when the discussion of bigs in our league is brought into the conversation. He will need to work on defensive positioning and foot speed as he matures.

It will be interesting when we play Yale this weekend to see how we handle their front court. Maybe if Max is healthy and playing more minutes team defense improves some.

All in all - both rookies are performing above expectations. I think they are not the only ones struggling on defense. Ivy opponents do a lot of picking up top and none of our guards are really great getting over those screens. Maybe Antonio is the exception.

I was happy with the win over Columbia but we made their guards look a lot better than they are and the defense against Cornell was very spotty with so so players (outside of Morgan) driving past our defenders at will.

This weekend will be interesting. Both opponents have pretty good athletes and we'll need to score a lot of points unless we defend better.

I've seen a lot of stats on this site. I can't relate to points per possession stats seriously when we turn the ball over 20 times like we did against Cornell. We didn't shoot well and we missed some bunnies which didn't help, but the team played poorly. It's just hard to conclude otherwise.

Neither of those efforts last weekend wins against Brown or Yale if our opponents play up to their capabilities. We'll need to be better on both sides of the ball, both the two rookies and our veteran players.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
I like Bryce Washington
02-12-19 10:01 AM - Post#276026    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Washington earned his third straight Rookie of the Week award and fourth in the last six weeks.

https://pennathletics.com/news/2019/2/11/mens-b ask...

Edited by rbg on 02-12-19 10:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.151 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:03 AM