Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Rutgers        (Topic#22439)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
01-09-19 10:36 PM - Post#271899    

They beat Ohio State tonight, making the Lions' OT loss, also there, looking better.
west coast fan

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
Re: utgers
01-10-19 01:09 AM - Post#271909    
    In response to internetter

Good point. But you know that at this pre-Christmas Rutgers game, CU Coach Engles was gifted with an early fifteen point lead, and 10 point halftime advantage. Those double figure leads were completely given away during the 2nd half of play, and that's all on the CU coach.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-10-19 04:14 PM - Post#271995    
    In response to AntiUngvar

While I am dismayed that we were not able to get the W against Rutgers, I am not prepared to hang that entirely on Engles. I think the better point is that we showed that we can be competitive against a decent team, one which is styronger and more athletic than any of our Ivy opponents, and from that I can extrapolate that we should be competitive in all of our Ivy games. Cornell presents an interesting challenge insofar as it is largely a one man team: slow down Morgan and dare the rest of the roster to beat you.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

01-10-19 05:37 PM - Post#272003    
    In response to Chet Forte

There's usually a better point to make; a nicer way to encapsulate anything; but thirteen consecutive Ivy League losses shouldn't be put on the kids, either- that's not what sound leadership is about!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

01-11-19 12:07 PM - Post#272091    
    In response to Chet Forte

• Chet Forte Said:
Cornell presents an interesting challenge insofar as it is largely a one man team: slow down Morgan and dare the rest of the roster to beat you.

But slowing Morgan down is easier put into words than actually doing it. He's a 46% 3-pt. shooter this season; draws contact well in going to the hoop and has converted 86% of his free throws. Furthermore, Cornell's usage of Matt Morgan mirrors what Binghamton does with freshman guard Sam Sessoms- at last in the manner he was used against Columbia last week.
What I found unnerving was that Sessoms brought Binghamton back against CU with his three point shooting. He already had 6 made threes going into the final thirty seconds of that game; and with his team down 3 points, Columbia STILL allowed Sessoms to take and make yet another 3, to tie the score at 63-63. Note, too, that Columbia only had five team fouls at time of the last Sessoms basket, with only one CU player on the court in any danger of fouling out (Quinton Adlesh with four fouls). Why was Sessoms permitted that final attempt without a non-shooting foul preceding it?
Just as Columbia HAD to know Sam Sessoms was there to carry the fortunes of Binghamton last week, they should already know that Matt Morgan will be looking to knock down 15 to 20 shots in each of the two games his school plays against them later this month. In fact, Morgan warmed up nicely for Columbia last night- hitting nine three pointers against Towson State. So there should be no surprises for the Lions as they commence their league season; the only question remaining for me: Was anything learned and retained from the recent Binghamton experience, and can any of that information assist in producing some welcome results in the early part of this new year.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.414 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:53 PM