Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Pennsylvania Redux        (Topic#22454)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Pennsylvania Redux
01-12-19 06:11 PM - Post#272329    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I do not even want to know the answer if the Penn color guy has an IL education -- let's hope not.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-12-19 06:14 PM - Post#272331    
    In response to bradley

Funny--I liked Curran a lot more this time than usual. He seemed more balanced in his commentary--I think he really has a lot of respect for Stephens and Aririguzoh. (And I happen to agree with him that officials are far too indulgent in general toward offensive players creating contact. Don't even get me started on dribblers warding off with their off hand.)

But, yeah, the "probative" solecism was cringe-worthy.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
01-12-19 06:21 PM - Post#272333    
    In response to SRP

I'm just a science guy, but isn't is more of a catachresis than a solecism?

SRP 
Postdoc

01-12-19 06:26 PM - Post#272334    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

My bad. It was a malapropism.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-12-19 06:28 PM - Post#272335    
    In response to SRP

I love Morales energy and determination but he has defensive liabilities based on his size and fundamentals. He can make some great passes to Arirguzoh when driving the ball but he also can turn the ball over. Big variability factor as to his play but he is a good option coming off the bench. Llewellyn is struggling but he just simply plays stronger defense.

If Cannady, DesRosiers and others hit 3 pt shots, it will take some pressure off Jaelin. Jerome and Devin had some open 3 pt looks today especially Jerome. Jerome's 3 pt shooting is crucial as he will get good looks and he has a fundamentally sound shooting technique. Schwiegger is on the bench which is understandable until he improves on several parts of his game. Much was ok.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
01-12-19 06:48 PM - Post#272338    
    In response to bradley

Morales is a defensive liability. He turns it over. Wwith Lewellyn in the game, turnovers virtually disappear and that was a major problem for the tigers until Lewellyn made his appearance. He looks like he has a confidence problem with his shot, but that will come.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-12-19 06:49 PM - Post#272340    
    In response to Tiger69

Brodeur is a very good player who gets the most out of his God given abilities other than foul shooting -- he is also a bit of a "crier". Goodman is a very good defender and Woods/Silpe play tough tough defense.

The Quakers offense is no great shakes and it was the primary reason that I put a wager down on Toledo. Donahue has a great system but the offensive talent of this Penn team is ok not great. Their defense is good. They obviously need to regroup.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-12-19 07:22 PM - Post#272341    
    In response to Tiger81

[quote) Aririguzoh and Stephens were warriors.

I remember the Quakerite suggesting that the Tigers might be better off without Stephens playing after the ASU game. I am glad that Mitch did not act on the "suggestion box".

Cannady 12 rebounds = crazy.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-12-19 08:37 PM - Post#272351    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Certainly didn’t expect this outcome. Has Penn collapsed or did we bring them down?

Clearly, you did not see the Monmouth game.

SRP 
Postdoc

01-12-19 09:08 PM - Post#272361    
    In response to penn nation

I don't see how anyone can say that Llewelyn plays defense better than Morales, unless you're looking at size mismatches after a switch. Morales is far superior at applying ball pressure and getting steals, drawing charges, and every other aspect of perimeter defense.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
01-12-19 09:32 PM - Post#272372    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
[quote) Aririguzoh and Stephens were warriors.

I remember the Quakerite suggesting that the Tigers might be better off without Stephens playing after the ASU game. I am glad that Mitch did not act on the "suggestion box".

Over the first 11 games of the season, this board was rife with complaints about a)the Stephens offensive struggles and b) the apparent step backward of the sophomores. So Stephens sits out ASU with injury, Much and Desrossiers explode, and I have some fun noting the irony.

Turns out what I really noted was the thin skin and utter lack of anything resembling a sense of humor in first one and now a second participant here.

It will be interesting to see if the low post aggressiveness we saw while being guarded by the 6’1” Woods most of the time in these two games continues into the rest of Ivy play. He’s definitely a much better player on offense when he attacks in the paint as much he did today and last Saturday, although he still needs to raise that 2-point % in the process. He remained sub-50% on 2s in the two games (9-22), and on the year is still well behind the consistent 56% he put up on those kinds of shots over his first three seasons.

jeromelh 
Junior

01-12-19 09:33 PM - Post#272373    
    In response to SRP

Hi

I can. He is a defensive liability because he is so short. Teams take advantage of that. While Lewellyn's shooting has been terrible, his ability to run the offense is excellent which is why MH has him in as a starter.

Don't get me wrong, I like Morales. I like his energy. However, he turns the ball over more than Lewellyn, who hardly every turns it over. Lewellyn leads the team with 4.3 assists per game. Prior to Lewellyn's appearance, Princeton was a turnover machine. Did we have a turnover today?? I can't remember one today while Lewellyn was in.

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
01-12-19 09:45 PM - Post#272384    
    In response to SRP

Wow, I completely disagree. When Morales is in the game, the opposing team immediately targets him, forcing someone to double or help, and eventually leading to an open three pointer. Look how bad the Tigers' team defense was against FDU and St. Joe's.

Now the Tigers are playing great team defense, and it starts because all five starters (Aririguzoh, DesRosiers, Stephens, Cannady, Llewellyn) can guard their opponent one-on-one, without the constant need for help or double-teams. Llewellyn had two of the biggest defensive plays in the game, stopping a fast break without fouling and then drawing a charge on Woods, and has done a great job on Devon Goodman in both games.

Morales is super quick and does get lots of steals, but he also gambles and gets beat a lot, and his lack of size means that opposing teams post him up. Morales is great for 10-15 minutes a game as a change-of-pace guard, but I don't think he should be playing much more than that.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-12-19 09:59 PM - Post#272390    
    In response to westcoast

In the post game presser some guy asked Mitch about Jaelin's "slump"...He answered with some coachspeak...Devin jumped in saying, "He played 31 minutes with 1 turnover..." Nuff said!

bradley 
PhD Student

01-12-19 10:04 PM - Post#272394    
    In response to westcoast

On pre-game radio show today, Coach H mentioned that 3 players who played tremendous one on one defense at Jadwin -- Myles, Jaelin and Richmond. Although Devin and Jerome are not great one on one defenders, there are five guys on the court that have shut off drives to the basket. Jaelin held first round ASU player to 8 points and Mitch talked about his defensive abilities on his radio show. I am sure that he is tryingg to give Jaelin some recognition and confidence.

It is very fair to question his offensive contribution as teams will not doubling him until he hits some shots.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pennsylvania Redux
01-13-19 12:01 AM - Post#272409    
    In response to bradley

Coaches aren't going to advertise it or make excuses, but I think both Jaelin and Michael Wang are playing through pain.

Jaelin was having a great game against Lafayette, took a hard fall that had him writhing on the ground and limping to the locker room. Then he missed all 4 shots he took when he (miraculously) came back in. His shot hasn't been the same since. It says a lot that he's still a net positive overall just with his ballhandling and defense.

Also, the entire team has been playing the most intense defense I've ever seen from a MH squad. That takes a toll on one's offense, and sure enough everyone outside of Aririguzoh has had some ugly games from the field. The important thing is that they're winning against good teams and now they have a nice long 3 week break to rest up!

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-13-19 12:44 AM - Post#272412    
    In response to gokinsmen

That’s actually my theory on Penn’s rebounding, too. I think we did a very good job of defending basically everyone but Aririgozuh in both games, but I think the defensive effort was leaving us out of position to box out and rebound.

While both games were ugly, that’s what good defensive games often look like.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-13-19 08:53 AM - Post#272430    
    In response to gokinsmen

I thought that the two IL games on Saturday and the prior game at Jadwin speaks loudly as to what makes the IL regular season games so special. The defensive intensity at Jadwin and the Palestra made it very difficult for players to get off good shots. Goodman on Cannady and Arirguzoh on Brodeur were clinics as to what good defense can accomplish.

After last season, Mitch and the seniors stated that defense was going to be the #1 priority this year. It took a while to get there but Mitch has recruited players in recent years who are more athletic and can move this feet quickly.

After the grueling hard fought regular season, the end result is seed 1-4 at Yale's homecourt. Nothing will change IvyMadness as it is here to stay. It would be nice if at least the hope of two teams going to the Big Dance is realized.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-13-19 01:06 PM - Post#272457    
    In response to bradley

Another gritty win for the Tigers. The intensity on defense and the effort on the offensive glass is extraordinary. Tigers missed a ton of shots that could have gone in (an issue for both teams), but this has really turned into a “defense first” team. I’m seeing more and more similarities to the 2011 team. Nice to be 2-0 going into the break and have the other teams still have to play their travel partners (and how about that Dartmouth rout of Harvard last night?!)

jeromelh 
Junior

01-13-19 02:33 PM - Post#272465    
    In response to gokinsmen

I hadn't thought of that and it makes some sense.
Hopefully what ever is bothering Lewellyn with resolve.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.209 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:30 AM