Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Joe Susan steps down        (Topic#22471)
Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
01-14-19 07:36 PM - Post#272602    

Per Bucknell athletics on Twitter: “Joe Susan has stepped down as head coach. He will assume a role in the Department of Athletics.”

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
01-14-19 07:48 PM - Post#272604    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

BucknellBison.com article:
https://bucknellbison.com/news/2019/1/14/joe-su san...

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
Loc: Rochester, NY Metro Area
Reg: 12-28-09
01-15-19 08:59 AM - Post#272639    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Thanks for the years, Coach, but I think he and the rest of us knew that it was time for a change. A class act, but we need a new, younger coach to bring the Bison back to being competitive in the PL. I fear that with Temple and Army looming in the coming seasons, it could be a while before we see a big change in the Win column. Here's hoping the University commits to football as it has to basketball.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
01-15-19 10:33 AM - Post#272644    
    In response to MangyOne

• MangyOne Said:
Thanks for the years, Coach, but I think he and the rest of us knew that it was time for a change. A class act, but we need a new, younger coach to bring the Bison back to being competitive in the PL. I fear that with Temple and Army looming in the coming seasons, it could be a while before we see a big change in the Win column. Here's hoping the University commits to football as it has to basketball.

I agree with your thoughts, but do not see it happening. Unlike basketball, the cost is greater, and the payoff is not as great in terms of the visibility of the stages the teams are competing on (FCS vs Div I hoops). Football’s future is a big question at schools like Bucknell.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
01-15-19 11:47 AM - Post#272648    
    In response to bison63

I live near Frisco, Texas, where the Division II playoffs are held each year. While I have been optimistic about Bucknell's recent recruiting classes, when I read reviews of the better teams much is different than the Bison's approach and commitment to the sport. Facilities, grade point averages, etc. all hurt Bucknell. My assessment is even with a new, high energy coach, we need to dramatically increase our overall skill level, versus just split up the talent pool with other Patriot League teams. As others have mentioned, tough issue.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
01-15-19 12:57 PM - Post#272661    
    In response to HoleinOne

I want Bucknell to win at everything! That said, hoops, Lacrosse, field hockey and water polo make the most sense to pursue at elite levels.

bison63 
Postdoc

01-15-19 01:04 PM - Post#272665    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
I want Bucknell to win at everything! That said, hoops, Lacrosse, field hockey and water polo make the most sense to pursue at elite levels.

Sad but true for one who was around in the days when football mattered.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
01-15-19 06:49 PM - Post#272710    
    In response to bison63

I would like to wish Coach Susan a lot of luck and thank him for everything. Personally, I don't know if I would have come to Bucknell had he not recruited me in high school.

Thanks, Coach Susan!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

A Western Bison 
Sophomore

Loc: Albuquerque
Reg: 07-05-12
01-15-19 06:54 PM - Post#272712    
    In response to bison63

I don't know that we can heap dirt on the program just yet. I believe Joe Susan had another year on his contract, so I'm hoping that this is more a move toward relevance rather than elegy, and maybe some impatience for results. Hear, hear.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
01-15-19 08:13 PM - Post#272717    
    In response to A Western Bison

Sorry to see a good man go. Joe Susan gave it his best but it's all about recruiting and winning as a Coach, even at Bucknell, where crowds of people used to show up for games but haven't done so for years.

Bucknell hires winning basketball coaches. Perhaps they can transfer some of that ability to hiring their next football coach?

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
01-15-19 09:46 PM - Post#272725    
    In response to candyfan

While some think the costs to maintain a competitive presence in football are too much for a school of Bucknell’s size and academic reputation, I have to disagree. Other schools like Bucknell (Lehigh, Colgate, Richmond for example) have been able to remain competitive against other schools who spend far more, even in the FCS playoffs, and they don’t really spend that much more than BU does. If the school does not want to concentrate on being like these teams I have mentioned, I have to question the wisdom of scheduling teams like Temple and Army in the coming years. While this adds a sense of legitimacy to our program, if we do not attempt to spend to be competitive, it only ensures lopsided losses that does nothing but further damage the program. I don’t claim to have the answers, but the administration needs to decide which way it wants to go. If they choose to maintain the status quo, I fear the football program will go the way of schools like Boston U. and Hofstra - not what alumni and PL schools want to happen. I am not looking for Bucknell to end up being the Alabama of FCS football, just competitive - I don’ t think that is too much to ask for, do you?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-16-19 12:45 AM - Post#272729    
    In response to candyfan

• candyfan Said:
Sorry to see a good man go. Joe Susan gave it his best but it's all about recruiting and winning as a Coach, even at Bucknell, where crowds of people used to show up for games but haven't done so for years.

Bucknell hires winning basketball coaches. Perhaps they can transfer some of that ability to hiring their next football coach?

There is a big difference between the two sports. In basketball, Bucknell spends as much or more than our league competitors. In football, over time Bucknell has spent far less than everyone except Georgetown. Just as importantly, it appears that Bucknell's administration will not cooperate when it comes to bringing back injured players for a fifth year. When all of our opponents are starting several 5th year players every year, and Bucknell is never suiting up a fifth year player, that is a huge disadvantage for the bison.

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
01-16-19 02:37 PM - Post#272768    
    In response to Bison137

This is exactly what I see, and I can't help but wonder how long we can continue down this road. If both the Bison and Georgetown fail to use 5th year players when the rest of the PL teams do, eventually both will have such little support due to poor competitiveness that the programs disappear - NOT what the PL fathers want. In fact, it could lead to the demise of the PL as a football league. I do not know why the administration is so opposed to 5th year players, but we must have a level playing field within the league - if not, why bother. Again, I am not trying to turn us into a powerhouse football program, just competitive - not for our sake as alums, but for the sake of the Bison student athletes who work so hard to represent the Orange and Blue.

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
Re: Football going forward
01-16-19 08:52 PM - Post#272790    
    In response to MangyOne

A few thoughts on the future path of the football program:

1. With a new AD who played football at Edinboro, there will be more focus on football. Coming off a 1-10 season, changes will be made and some significant. To punt 10 to 12 times a game is crazy! Our depth this year was really thin.

2. Our football program needs an identity. What will the new coach bring to the table? What do we want to be?

3. Will the head coach we pursue require some commitments like the potential for injured players to have the option of a 5th year? More funding? To get the best candidate, our administration needs to commit to changes like these.

4. How do go from playing Duquesne and Marist and St Francis to lining up vs Temple at Lincoln Financial Field?? Here’s hoping we don’t have many injuries and that we make some big bucks from this game vs the speedy Owls.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
01-16-19 08:53 PM - Post#272791    
    In response to MangyOne

Don’t know a lot of the football situation, other than it is not very competitive, but do you think perhaps Coach Susan himself may be frustrated by the relative lack of commitment by admin?

bisonfbfan 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 01-16-19
01-17-19 06:52 PM - Post#272854    
    In response to MrPhillie

We can be competitive, we just need the powers to be to give football some more focus and find an coach who has that drive and can recruit. I agree we need to give them more funding and work on those potential 5th year players when possible.

Maybe we can lure coach Chesney back to PA and help turn our program around.

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
01-18-19 12:42 PM - Post#272898    
    In response to MrPhillie

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect the frustration level of Coach Susan is a factor. And if so, I cannot blame him. Joe is a good man, but when you tie someone's hand as far as commitment from the powers-that-be, one can't help but eventually wonder "why bother".

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-18-19 02:43 PM - Post#272911    
    In response to MangyOne

Yes, I imagine he has been frustrated, both by the situation and by the results. But he certainly shares the blame, since the offense he has employed dates back to times when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. He gave his QB's little chance and tried to overpower teams with so-so offensive lines. Defense has been better, with a good amount of the credit probably due Matt Borich.

To have any chance of a turnaround, someone needs to be hired who brings new ideas and a much more innovative approach to the offense.

bison63 
Postdoc

01-18-19 03:34 PM - Post#272914    
    In response to Bison137

How this is handled will tell us a lot about the new AD, as well as what FB’s future is st Bucknell.

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
Re: Football coach candidates
01-28-19 06:44 PM - Post#273942    
    In response to bison63

Any insider info on the coaches we are interviewing for the head coaching position?

How about Bill Zwaan the veteran coach at West Chester U?
Just finished a 10-0 PSAC regular season as WCU won the league title game for first time in 47 years.

Runs a high-powered offense that uses no huddle. Small shifty backs who can run and catch behind a huge line. With new AD having played at Edinboro in the PSAC, perhaps a close look at coaches like Zwaan or the coaches at IUP or Slippery Rock. Just a possible route.

Any other names being tossed about??

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.576 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:34 AM