Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 7 « First<3456>
Username Post: Canady        (Topic#22487)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-21-19 08:02 PM - Post#273285    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

The same way you can get busted for disorderly conduct in a bar, get out on bail and go to work the next day.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-21-19 08:09 PM - Post#273287    
    In response to Tiger69

Or likely, if you are white and went to Harvard, on your own recognizance.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-21-19 08:33 PM - Post#273289    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Or likely, if you are white and went to Harvard rich, on your own recognizance.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
01-21-19 08:40 PM - Post#273292    
    In response to westcoast

Whether or not Cannady gets suspended or expelled from the team, I really hope that he's able to finish at Princeton and get his degree. It would be awful for him to get kicked out of school when he's so close to graduation.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-21-19 09:03 PM - Post#273295    
    In response to Tiger69

Any university that is foolish enough to make a quick decision as to suspending or expelling a student without conducting a thorough independent investigation is simply asking for trouble in this era. I have observed a fair amount of litigation when the university or organization rushed to judgement without having all the facts.

A university owes the student and other stakeholders a fair and comprehensive investigation. Hopefully, Princeton or any other school, whether Ivy or not, use a proper due diligence process. More and more, we see some people wanting to rush to judgement for a variety of reasons but cool heads should prevail. Some of the rush to judgement may be a function of wanting a certain outcome whether based on facts or not.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-21-19 09:36 PM - Post#273297    
    In response to bradley

I certainly would not expect any draconian punishment based on even the worst construction of the facts in the news media. Proximity to campus is a factor, but this incident seems far from serious enough to jeopardize a student's ability to complete his degree, with or without some period of suspension.

And of course, as I noted above and bradley has stressed, we need to have an impartial examination of the facts and context to determine what happened and how culpable the various parties are. (We've just seen a national rush to judgment about some high-school kids based on Twitter-mob-justice, to the considerable embarrassment of a number of media figures who've now gone back and deleted their hostile tweets.)

Hard to believe Wawa doesn't have relevant video, but the case is probably too low-profile for it to leak and there's a good chance nobody involved will want it released. Maybe a media outlet would press for it if the case became controversial in some way.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-22-19 12:11 PM - Post#273337    
    In response to SRP

I’ve tried not to speculate on events or outcomes. But, this episode has, I admit, depressed me and caused me more concern about the people involved than whatever effect it might have on a basketball season. The Princeton of my experience is a smaller institution with which many of its alumni have stronger and more personal bonds than is usual for others with their alma maters. The idea of family among team members and even within the University itself may seem trite to outsiders, but is frequently observed. With that in mind, one does not expect Princeton to walk away from one of its students in bad times — especially one in whom it has invested so much. Without dismissing any wrongdoing, I expect the U to support Cannady throughout this episode without adding any additional burden and, if punishment is eventually warranted, to administer it in a manner that will not further damage his future. He is, after all, one of the Princeton Family.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-22-19 12:14 PM - Post#273338    
    In response to penn nation

Edit justified and acknowledged.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-22-19 12:46 PM - Post#273343    
    In response to Tiger69

I must preface this with my sincere hope that there are circumstances or facts that help Devin here.

Nevertheless, I must correct the flawed observation that disorderly conduct in a bar is anything like what has been reported. Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor under NJ Law. Punching a police officer appears to be a felony classified as aggravated assault under NJ Law. Under NJ law, the officer does not need to be injured, and there are non-favorable provisions if the assault occurs while resisting arrest or against a school employee. Hopefully, the 'punch' was not as described. That could be the difference maker.

This prosecution can go in two very different directions. I agree with the posters here that hopefully the past history of a Princeton team captain and extenuating circumstances - whatever they are - have a means to intervene.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
Re: Canady
01-22-19 04:54 PM - Post#273354    
    In response to LyleGold

• LyleGold Said:

Second of all, this is another example of why Ivy teams should not schedule their travel partner games so close together. They should be spread throughout the league season just like the weekends are. We were stuck playing both Princeton games with injuries weakening us and Canady available. We now don't benefit from his suspension the way the rest of the league probably will.

If only there was some mechanism or procedure in place at the conclusion of the regular season to ensure that teams like Penn don't get screwed in this fashion and get a chance to advance to the NCAA tournament as the Ivy's best rep to advance to the second round. Especially if Canady is suspended for the year.

How could this injustice possibly be corrected? How could Penn get the proverbial "second chance" if they played a tougher Princeton team than the rest of us will?

**strokes beard**

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-22-19 05:02 PM - Post#273355    
    In response to Go Green

Those are some great ideas!

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Canady
01-22-19 05:27 PM - Post#273357    
    In response to PennFan10

LOL----Penn just has to play as well as it has outside the conference and it will be just fine.

As for Canady, something about the entire story just doesn't make sense, but I'll withhold judgment until more facts come out.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-22-19 05:37 PM - Post#273359    
    In response to PennFan10

When I was in college Harvard hockey was in the process of eliminating Cornell in a chippy game at Harvard's Bright hockey arena. I think the game might have either been the season finale or an early ECAC round. College/Ivy Hockey has a no nonsense automatic suspension rule for fighting.

In the final minutes the Cornell players started hitting and pushing after the whistle. I believe a few of them were awarded penalties or ejected. Harvard had a few smaller but tremendously skilled players who were being targeted, but who could not retaliate for fear of incurring a suspension. As the game wound down and then when it ended, Harvard's Neil Sheehy became a one-man screen between his teammates and the feistier Cornell players. Neil was 6'3" and 215lbs. Neil was a nice guy and even tempered, but he was by far the meanest hombre on the ice if he wanted to be. Although a few of Harvard's players went on to NHL careers, Neil lasted far longer than any others - 10 years - because of his physicality.

I guess what I'm saying is, if a 14 game home and home round robin isn't fair, it's hard to find anything else more equitable. I say this even though my beloved Crimson could well be the team to benefit the most from the tournament this year if Towns and Aiken are healthy and practiced by that time.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-22-19 06:10 PM - Post#273360    

Who said anyone's goal was what is fair? Every single conference has an end of season tournament now and I'm pretty sure the goal of each of those is far from "What's fair".

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-22-19 06:28 PM - Post#273361    
    In response to PennFan10

Fair enough or not really

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-22-19 07:07 PM - Post#273362    

Henderson saying nothing on his weekly radio show. Nothing...

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
01-22-19 07:09 PM - Post#273363    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

And, BTW, it's "Cannady"

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-22-19 08:58 PM - Post#273369    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

• JadwinGeorge Said:
And, BTW, it's "Cannady"

Ok. My bad.

We will see how things play out this season. But Mr. Cannady's legacy could very well be convincing the Penn folks that a post-season tournament is a pretty good idea after all.

Thus, ensuring the tournament's permancy.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-22-19 09:32 PM - Post#273371    
    In response to Go Green

Penn doesn't get a vote. Neither does Princeton (although it always considers itself an equal power, something Harvard and Yale never concede to).

It's all about H&Y. They decide whether there is to be a playoff in basketball or whether their game is too important in football to dilute with a national championship.

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
01-22-19 10:21 PM - Post#273374    
    In response to palestra38

H & Y decided there would be a tournament?

Page 3 of 7 « First<3456>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.289 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:47 AM