Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Canady        (Topic#22487)
jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
Re: Canady
01-30-19 07:36 AM - Post#274128    
    In response to Mike Porter

With the massive number of deaths due to alcohol and opioids, it is important to remember that NO one has ever died of cannabis. In addition, if you take it as an oil or vape, you eliminate the toxins associated with smoking weed.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
01-30-19 07:59 AM - Post#274129    
    In response to jeromelh

• jeromelh Said:
With the massive number of deaths due to alcohol and opioids, it is important to remember that NO one has ever died of cannabis. In addition, if you take it as an oil or vape, you eliminate the toxins associated with smoking weed.

I agree that direct deterministic death from cannabis OD is unknown, but the stochastic relationship to death from myocardial infarction exists.

Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics:
Acute coronary syndrome triggered by marijuana exposure may include angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, and sudden cardiac death.

Patients are being asked to get "clearance" from their cardiologist for medical marijuana, which of course is not possible.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-30-19 08:32 AM - Post#274130    
    In response to jeromelh

• jeromelh Said:
In addition, if you take it as an oil or vape, you eliminate the toxins associated with smoking weed.

Vaping is probably one of the most serious challenges facing our youth today. It is a gateway to a whole host of problems. Our schools are recognizing this and educating us (both students and parents) in ways that were so sorely lacking a generation ago.

jeromelh 
Junior

01-30-19 12:37 PM - Post#274145    
    In response to penn nation

Hi Penn nation and Lottery
Thanks for your responses. However, both of you are not understanding cannabis and, in this case, medical cannabis (in my humble opinion).
First of all, the article cited is related to marijuana smoke (that is how I remember it). When you smoke a joint, you are exposed to many toxins such as carbon monoxide. Many of these toxins are known to cause cardiac spasm. When you use medical marijuana by sub-lingual or inhaler, you are not exposed to the toxins. The author is giving us the impression that it is related to cannabis but there is no basis for this conclusion. When you use a vape you use it once or twice a day only with one inhalation and this is not going to give rise to any problems such as encountered with those in vape stores.
Lottery you said “I agree that direct deterministic death from cannabis OD is unknown, but the stochastic relationship to death from myocardial infarction exists.”
Opponents have been trying to prove for years that cannabis exposure can cause death and have utterly failed. And there is a reason for this. While there are more cannabis receptors in the brain than opioid receptors, there are NO cannabis receptors in the midbrain which I am sure you know controls respiratory and cardiac rate. There are numerous opioid receptors in the midbrain which explains death due to opioid overdose. With all of the people on medical marijuana in this country, we would have seen coronary spasm by now if it was causative.
Two years ago, I was an opponent of medical marijuana. Now I am an advocate.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-30-19 01:09 PM - Post#274149    
    In response to jeromelh

Interesting.

I'm not interested in medical marijuana, just recreational, and only as an observer.

There are more ways to cause a heart attack than spasm.

From Cardiology and Therapeutics June 2018:

"Despite overwhelming public perception of the safety of these substances, an increasing number of serious cardiovascular adverse events have been reported in temporal relation to recreational cannabis use. These have included sudden cardiac death, vascular (coronary, cerebral and peripheral) events, arrhythmias and stress cardiomyopathy among others. Many of the victims of these events are relatively young men with few if any cardiovascular risk factors. However, there are reasons to believe that older individuals and those with risk factors for or established cardiovascular disease are at even higher danger of such events following exposure to cannabis. The pathophysiological basis of these events is not fully understood and likely encompasses a complex interaction between the active ingredients (particularly the major cannabinoid, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol), and the endo-cannabinoid system, autonomic nervous system, as well as other receptor and non-receptor mediated pathways. Other complicating factors include opposing physiologic effects of other cannabinoids (predominantly cannabidiol), presence of regulatory proteins that act as metabolizing enzymes, binding molecules, or ligands, as well as functional polymorphisms of target receptors. Tolerance to the effects of cannabis may also develop on repeated exposures at least in part due to receptor downregulation or desensitization."

The bold script added by me.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-30-19 01:15 PM - Post#274152    
    In response to jeromelh

This is an interesting discussion that deserves its own AMA thread.

Who believes that Princeton can survive a brief Cannady absence of, say, 5 games and then emerge stronger for the experience gained during his absence? Just wishful thinking?

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-30-19 01:19 PM - Post#274153    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:

Who believes that Princeton can survive a brief Cannady absence of, say, 5 games and then emerge stronger for the experience gained during his absence? Just wishful thinking?

Dunno. Just waiting to hear...........

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-30-19 01:22 PM - Post#274154    
    In response to Tiger69

PS. In my modest past of perhaps a couple of dozen joint experiences I only experienced one occasion where I had a perceivable effect. And that was pleasant (sort of). Someone told a weak joke, but I laughed uncontrollably for nearly a half hour. Sadly, the usual effect was a sore throat.

yoyo 
Senior

Reg: 03-25-09
01-30-19 01:24 PM - Post#274155    
    In response to Tiger69

I like pot and I smoke it a lot

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-30-19 02:06 PM - Post#274169    
    In response to yoyo

You might qualify for SCOTUS in the next administration then. Remember that mantra and keep repeating it in all future congressional hearings.

palestra38 
Professor

01-30-19 02:18 PM - Post#274174    
    In response to yoyo

Wasn't that line in the Lost Dr. Suess story? You know, the one about how the Onceler got to looking like an 80 year old Jerry Garcia?

jeromelh 
Junior

01-30-19 02:37 PM - Post#274179    
    In response to palestra38

Sorry for the long post off subject . I will get off my soapbox

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-30-19 03:26 PM - Post#274185    

• palestra38 Said:
Wasn't that line in the Lost Dr. Suess story?

Funny!

penn nation 
Professor

Canady
01-30-19 03:45 PM - Post#274186    
    In response to jeromelh

Jerome:

Don't get me wrong. I'm an advocate for medical marijuana and, for that matter, for marijuana's general legalization (assuming it is properly regulated).

It's just that the youth of our country get introduced relatively harmlessly to vaping via marijuana as you've described, which then makes them think it's no big deal in general (if said marijuana is legalized and properly regulated, even less of an issue since quality control is thereby not the primary concern). Then they move onto other stuff, and they are out of their league in no time.

OK, off my soapbox. We can take this up further in the OTB if desired.

Edited by penn nation on 01-30-19 03:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

01-30-19 03:48 PM - Post#274187    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
You might qualify for SCOTUS in the next administration then. Remember that mantra and keep repeating it in all future congressional hearings.

Didn't work out so well for Douglas Ginsburg, though.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-31-19 02:11 PM - Post#274272    
    In response to jeromelh

• jeromelh Said:
it is important to remember that NO one has ever died of cannabis.

THat's not my recollection of what Nancy Reagan said on Diff'rent Strokes.

palestra38 
Professor

01-31-19 02:12 PM - Post#274274    
    In response to Go Green

Or that landmark Dragnet in the late '60s (the second version with Harry Morgan and Jack Webb) where the stoned hippies forgot they had the baby in the bathtub.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-31-19 05:01 PM - Post#274300    

• palestra38 Said:
Or that landmark Dragnet in the late '60s (the second version with Harry Morgan and Jack Webb) where the stoned hippies forgot they had the baby in the bathtub.

IMHO, Harry Morgan never got his due. It takes a actor of great talent to convincingly star on arguably the most conservative and most liberal (for their times, anyway) television shows.

Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
01-31-19 08:50 PM - Post#274318    
    In response to Go Green

Morgan, 81, was charged July 7 with misdemeanor spousal battery after a confrontation in their Brentwood home left Barbara Morgan, his 70-year-old wife of 10 years, bruised and bloodied.

Nice guy.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-01-19 09:59 AM - Post#274353    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:

I believe that the loss of Cannady for a minimum of the next 4 IL games will be very challenging and needless to say if he is gone for the season, it will be problematic if they participate in IvyMadness. Presently, there are not great options to replace Devin's 3 pt shooting, i.e. Wright, Schwieger etc. One partial hope is that DesRosiers and Much and possibly Johns starting shooting 3s' 7% higher than y-t-d.

For me and I realize that I am in the minority, IL regular season champion is what counts and if the Tigers get into IvyMadness in the 3rd or 4th slot and then win the silly tournament with Cannady, I simply do not care.

Cannady's absence will make it very very challenging to win the regular season but let's play the games to find out.

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.73 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:28 AM