Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Temple        (Topic#22494)
The Grape King 
Freshman

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 12-11-18
Re: Temple&#039;s campus
01-25-19 07:39 PM - Post#273568    
    In response to UPIA1968

Temple's campus being 4th in the Big 5 is objectively false. It's right up there with Penn (very similar campuses save for Penn having more pre-modernist structures, which is a plus), but I've thankfully never set foot on Nova's so I can't speak for it. La Salle and Joe's campuses are both a full step behind, if not more.

Also wrong that our campus is way behind the schools we compete for recruits with. I chose Temple over Rutgers in large part because Temple's campus is far more physically appealing, and has way more life and energy than Rutgers-NB. Seton Hall, St. John's, on the same level as Joe's and La Salle. I've never been to Maryland's, but I've heard fine things. But if you want an urban campus in the northeast, Temple doesn't lack anything. If you don't want that experience, yea, you might end up at Maryland or Penn State.

I think some of you are over blowing my comments about campus as a recruiting tool. It's certainly a factor, but a great campus alone doesn't win any recruits. But like I've said, recruiting margins are razor, razor thin. Rarely does a kid know exactly where they want to go. Every player on our roster probably had a hard decision to make, and maybe if campus looks like it did 15 years ago, Damian Dunn is signed with Georgia Tech and Quinton Rose is playing for DePaul. It's just so tight, everything matters. Of course some things are weighted more, but every factor matters.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-25-19 08:17 PM - Post#273573    
    In response to The Grape King

Temple's campus has improved 1000% since the 1970s, when I was at Penn and had friends who lived in my house in W. Philadelphia and went to Temple. I wouldn't compare it with Rutgers--it's a different experience. But it is clearly better than the others you mention, other than Villanova, which attracts a very different student.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-25-19 08:46 PM - Post#273576    
    In response to palestra38

And Temple's campus has also improved 100% since I spent a couple years out there in the mid-90's. Despite that, the suggestion that it is on a par with Penn's is, well, a stretch to put it mildly. We have a combination of historic, architecturally significant buildings (The Quad, College Hall, Logan Hall, Furness Building, Irvine Auditorium, Houston Hall, University Museum, and, oh yeah, The Palestra and Franklin Field) along with modern state of the art facilities. Penn's campus has developed in recent years to the point that at times parts of it seem unrecognizable. When you throw in the traditional Ivy campus feel of College Green and Locust Walk along with the magnificent Penn Park that was reclaimed from the horrendous eyesore that was the old postal yards, Temple's vastly improved campus falls far short. Granted, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we are all swayed by personal ties, but I just don't see how it's even close.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
01-26-19 12:11 AM - Post#273587    
    In response to LyleGold

The problem with Temple's campus it is its location - North Philly? At to big time competitors, it not Seton Hall and Rutgers, it Michigan, Duke, Stanford etc.

Page 6 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.162 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:21 AM