Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Howard        (Topic#22501)
Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
Howard
01-22-19 04:37 PM - Post#273351    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Always good to see kids get back to healthy and hate to see some of these ongoings injuries that really set kids back. Congrats to getting Aiken back, and while I didn't get to watch the game, stats show a great return, and not seemingly forcing things. Good for him and Harvard.

I for example certainly wish Penn could have all its kids healthy to battle a healthy Harvard squad - Jelani Williams has missed two season due to tearing ACL in both knees, which is really tragic for an active young kid and who knows truly if he will ever get back to where he was before the injuries (our best recruit in soph class).

Remind me - did Aiken miss enough of last year to retain eligibility for the season if he chooses?

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
Re: Howard
01-22-19 05:24 PM - Post#273356    
    In response to Mike Porter

I have not previously heard of Bryce redshirting or applying for any sort of hardship.

Bryce played in 14 games last season. To redshirt due to a medical hardship, my research suggests you cannot play in more than 20% of your team's contests. By that metric Bryce would not have been eligible.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-22-19 05:28 PM - Post#273358    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Got it - yeah 14 games would be too many games unfortunately.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-23-19 12:21 AM - Post#273381    
    In response to Mike Porter

Pretty sure that when the games are played matters too — you have to get hurt early and not come back. So I think Makai Mason burned a year of eligibility by playing one game last year, and he is not eligible for an additional medical redshirt.

palestra38 
Professor

01-24-19 08:42 AM - Post#273446    
    In response to SomeGuy

That certainly is not the rule at Penn

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
01-24-19 08:53 AM - Post#273447    
    In response to palestra38

I believe the NCAA rule is that it has to be a season-ending injury in the first half of the season. And that is in addition to the limitation on the number of games played.

So if you were hurt in the first half of the season, tried to come back and play a game in the second half, you would be ineligible for a red-shirt even if you only played that one game.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
01-24-19 09:12 AM - Post#273448    
    In response to bradley

It was a natural assumption to make that those two wouldn't be back when you see them missing all of those games. Or to think that if players can play, that they will play. It's just not how Tommy runs his program.

Once you understand how little Tommy cares about the non-conference, you see that they really have only missed one game thus far and still had almost all of what Tommy considers the "real" season ahead of them. No one was getting rushed back or pushed to play at 90%, even in a game against a high-profile opponent like UNC. They're all exhibitions to Tommy.

That being said, can we reflect on that non-conference run for a moment? They went 6-6 against the 44th toughest schedule in the nation with narrow losses to USF, URI and Vermont. That's roughly equivalent to going .500 in the American Conference (with its unbalanced schedules tilting slightly to the light side).

But all of that is meaningless now. Harvard has its three easiest games in its next five (though with no teams in the bottom 100, we can finally say that no game is a gimme in this league and actually mean it). If it can't go 4-1 in those five, it's probably looking at a less than 50/50 chance to make the tournament. Those are the breaks in a tough league with only a 14-game sample - something Princeton found out the hard way last year.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-24-19 10:15 AM - Post#273450    
    In response to palestra38

As QHoops says, it’s an NCAA rule, not a Penn rule. Do you have an example of a Penn player who appeared in a game later in a season and then preserved the year of eligibility?

The trickier question is always what it means to come back and practice — technically you shouldn’t be doing that either. I was worried years ago when Penn was at the NCAAs and got on the cover of the USA Today’s sports section practicing at the arena — with a supposedly injury redshirting Brian Grandieri clearly in the picture practicing with the team. Grandieri decided to forego that 5th year of college anyway, but I always wondered whether he would receive the year if requested.

palestra38 
Professor

01-24-19 10:18 AM - Post#273451    
    In response to SomeGuy

I didn't read your statement as coming back late in the season...sorry.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-24-19 11:16 AM - Post#273456    
    In response to mrjames

All Hail Tommy A!

Good thing the choices of the players don’t have a role in any of this.

If playing Yale and Brown as part of the 5 game (Home) swing for H is “the easiest” part of the schedule then God help us all.

H does play 6 of its last 8 on the road

Edited by PennFan10 on 01-24-19 11:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
Howard
01-24-19 03:43 PM - Post#273472    
    In response to PennFan10

I think you misread Mike's email.

He said "Harvard has its three easiest games in its next five." He never suggested Yale or Brown were going to be easy games.

Also, my reading of what Mike said is that the players (and their personal advisors) have the say in when the players are ready. This is because Tommy doesn't rush them back, certainly not for OOC.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 01-24-19 03:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.008 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:26 PM