Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell in NYC, Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019        (Topic#22507)
AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
01-23-19 02:54 PM - Post#273400    

Writers on behalf of Big Red's cause are apparently in desperate need of inspiration. May the following (not so) humble opinion serve in such a role: First of all, I see the women's game as a potentially worthwhile event for coaches, players, and spectators, alike- it could go either way, and clearly is something to look forward to.
As far as the nightcap, with all due respect, I simply don't see the visitors as having a chance. Mr. Morgan ought to just pass on the road trip, and get the rest he deserves now that's he's passed the 2,000 career point mark; not to mention that he's booked for two games in Ithaca the following weekend, during which he'll probably see 80 minutes of hell courtesy of the Quakers and Tigers. So my parental advice to Matt Morgan would be to stay out of the western New York state frigidity and get some well earned sleep in his warm dorm room on this final Saturday of the month; his team has no shot in NYC; not even with Jim Engles wearing his primary funeral director's suit and sitting stupefied on the home team's bench; the Lions will run Red out of Levien.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
01-25-19 10:16 AM - Post#273505    
    In response to AntiUngvar

AU,

I think you are correct that the women's game is a toss-up. Columbia will get their three pointers, but the key will be their inside game. If Cornell can shut that down, like they did in the first half of last week's game, they can come out victorious. However, at home, I think the Lions will have a stronger inside game like they did in the second half and come away with the win.

On the men's side, I agree that Columbia has the edge and should be considered the favorite, but I don't expect it to be a blowout like last year's game at Levien. Just two years ago, Columbia beat Cornell at Newman in game #1 and lost to the Big Red, which was without Robert Hatter, the following Saturday.

Cornell has a much better three point defense then they did last January. While I think the Lions will shoot better from three then they did last Saturday, I do not expect it to be like the 16 bucket performance they had the last time the Big Red came to NYC.

Morgan has shown that he does not need much of a rest and he is one of the few high use players who remains efficient late in games. As such, I expect him to be able to get his shots from the field. Columbia may not be able to stop that, but they should try to keep him off the free throw line, as they did last week.

I also think Warren will be able to get double digit points tomorrow. Boeheim is a possibility for that mark, but I am less confident in that prediction.

Julian, McBride & Whiteside have not produced a lot of points this year. Kuhn was out of last week's game and there has been no information about his presence in tomorrow's game. They got 2 three pointers from Riley Voss, but I just don't see him having that type of success at Levien.

For Cornell, I think they have to do a good job limiting Columbia's threes, in general, and controlling Stefanini, in particular. On offense, they have to get a lot of points from their top 3 scorers and get to the free throw line often. Also, they need to avoid going down by a lot early, since Columbia has not had a lot of success the last few years in close games.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

01-25-19 10:36 AM - Post#273506    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:

Also, they need to avoid going down by a lot early, since Columbia has not had a lot of success the last few years in close games.

Great post. Thank you! And as per usual, you are the master of understatement.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

01-26-19 09:04 PM - Post#273700    
    In response to AntiUngvar

Columbia's up five at halftime of the nightcap. Matt Morgan's had an atypical performance so far, and we should credit some of that to the home team's defense. Morgan's already committed 3 turnovers, and he's been limited to only six shot attempts......Back to the 2nd half of the game.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.246 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:27 PM