Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2020 Guard Commits to Lions        (Topic#22542)
hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
01-29-19 07:14 PM - Post#274068    

"Adam Ayalew (MD Prep Hoops) @AyalewAdam
Can confirm that @LandonVBBall ‘20 PG Canin Reynolds has committed to Columbia"

Canin Reynolds is a 2020 PG from Landon School in the DC area. He is listed variously between 5'6" and 5'9 150. He was all conference in the IAC which includes the prep schools in the DC area. For a VERY rough ranking idea, DMV Elite ranking (greater DC, Md and VA) has him at 41 in the class of '20 and Ike Nweke was 33 for the class of 2018. In the article below from the summer in Maryland Prep Hoops he says he was being recruited by Lafayette, Lehigh, Mt. St Mary's, Penn and Princeton.

Below are various pics videos and articles fyi.

From Inside Maryland Sports, 12/14:

#2 Canin Reynolds (5-9 Jr., PG)
Canin is a D1 recruit who averaged 23 ppg , 6 assists and 4 steals in the Capitol Hoops Summer League at DeMatha. He is excellent in screen and rolls, with ability to get in the paint. Canin played for Team Takeover this summer and is an excellent defender. Landon has a tremendous back-court in Canin Reynolds and Kino Lilly each of whom are on my 1st Team preseason All Metro Team.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/10352033 281610096...

https://twitter.com/HubHighlights/status/ 107443239...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8729175/5abba c6aff01c...

https://www.google.com/search?q=canin+reynol ds+lan...

https://twitter.com/ayalewadam/status/954 958231515...

https://twitter.com/ayalewadam/status/100 588736574...

From Prep Hoops Maryland
5’6 PG Canin Reynolds | Landon | Class of 2020
Skilled. Pesky on ball defender. Crafty finisher. Tough. Plays hard. Fast. Quick.
From Prep Hoops Maryland

Canin Reynolds
5'6 G Landon
DC Blue Devils
Impactful lead guard. Very skilled and crafty. Can score from anywhere on the floor. Defends well. Will sacrifice his body. A team player. Extremely quck, and deceptively strong.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8729175/5a886 6c3d45ee...

Pred Hoops MD
By Adam Ayalew
Share this story:

Twitter
Posted On: 08/30/18 11:00 AM

Canin Reynolds does nothing but produce consistently at the high school level, and often gets overlooked. He led the Capitol Hoops Summer League in scoring average (23.0), steals per game (3.4), and was second in assists per game (5.9), and is in line for another solid year at Landon. During a recent interview with Prep Hoops, Reynolds discussed several topics including recruitment.

PH: What’s the biggest thing you learned over the summer playing with Team Takeover?

CR: “Getting looked at by coaches doesn’t come from just scoring, but being the loudest player on the court at all times especially at my height.”
PH: What’s the most underrated part of your game?

CR: “My screen and roll/pop play. I feel that I can score or get someone open on any type of screen defense.”

PH: How are your grades right now?

CR: “My GPA is a 3.8.”

PH: Which schools are recruiting you?

CR: “Lafayette, Lehigh, Mount St. Mary’s, Penn, and Princeton.”

PH: What type of feedback do you receive from college coaches?

CR: “I receive a lot of feedback on my effort, and how my defense gets the whole team going.”
PH: What are you working on?

CR: “Working on my finishing around the basket since I’m not the most athletic player out there.”
PH: What are your short and long term goals?

CR: “Short term is getting a scholarship to a high academic school, and long term is coming out of school making 6 figures.”

PH: How do you see yourself fitting in at the next level?

CR: “I see myself fitting in very well, because I love competition, and people looking down on me because of my height. That’s going to push me to work hard and show that I belong.”

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

Reg: 03-17-14
01-30-19 05:49 PM - Post#274209    
    In response to hoopsfan

Was Canin offered by either Penn and/or Princeton?

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
01-30-19 06:09 PM - Post#274211    
    In response to Tod Howard Hawks

Best that I can tell, there was an expression of interest but no offer (at least none that is listed on verbal commits).

Are you wary because he's small?

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-30-19 06:20 PM - Post#274213    
    In response to cc66

Since he was offered so early in the process we really cannot tell what if any other offers he had. All we can go on is what he says, which is that he was being recruited by five other schools.

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

01-30-19 07:36 PM - Post#274215    
    In response to cc66

I'm I wary because he is small, you ask? Well, Magic Johnson was 6'6".

Another super-small guard for Columbia, for sure. But I watched all his videos and Canin does seem to be able to shoot well, but being so small does have its liabilities in Div I BB. Am I right?

cc66 
Postdoc

01-30-19 08:15 PM - Post#274223    

Tod: I think you may have misunderstood the impetus for my question. I am wary because he is so small; if you are, then we share the same concerns. Columbia has had a number of small fast guards, from Alton Byrd in the late 1970s to Mike Smith today. Even when they run the team well, it's harder for them to get a shot off, and they may be defensive liabilities against D1 players. He's still a junior and has 21 months before he appears on campus, so maybe he'll grow a bit. It's also a good sign that several other IL schools expressed interest in him, even if they did not formally offer. For the moment, however, after Mike Smith, it looks to me as if Eddie Turner is going to be our primary point guard.

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

01-31-19 01:04 AM - Post#274238    
    In response to cc66

cc66,

I do think we share the same concern that Canin is too small, which, as I posted earlier, means that his smallness brings a lot of liabilities, along with his shooting prowess.

But I don't see where I "...misunderstood the impetus..." for your question.

cc66 
Postdoc

01-31-19 02:44 PM - Post#274276    

Well, you added that Magic Johnson was 6'6", which seemed to suggest that you had to justify your concern, when what I was saying was that you didn't have to justify a concern that I share.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.247 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:08 PM