Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Lafayette Game        (Topic#22568)
bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
02-03-19 01:28 PM - Post#274923    
    In response to jkrun80

• jkrun80 Said:
Andrew Funk certainly had a great game. If there's a silver lining to Sotos's injury, it might be more playing time for Funk. He looks ready to step into Kimbal's shoes next season.

I'm still concerned about the poor 3 pt shooting. Take out Kimbal's 3-4 and the rest of the team was 3-21.

Foul trouble was again a factor in the game, but affected Lafayette more than us. Not sure how much of that was the officiating and how much was them being over matched inside.

Re: 3 point shooting, we are 22 games in for the season. I think by this time we have a good read on what this team is capable of. When they are hot, they can compete with anybody. More importantly, they are 2-1 in the last three games without shooting particularly well. The road loss to a good team (AU) saw a comeback that gave us a definite chance to win, despite no better than fair shooting. 4 technical foul shots awarded to AU down the stretch did not help.

I see wins in the last two games, by comfortable margins, despite not shooting great, as examples of the glass being half full, not half empty. One thing I do know, we WILL have hot shooting nights again before this is all over, and, alas, we will have nights that are not so hot. How it all comes out is anybody’s guess. Given the situation in the PL this year, the biggest surprise to me will be if the tournament runs to form and Bucknell plays Lehigh I the final.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
02-03-19 04:20 PM - Post#274941    
    In response to candyfan

• candyfan Said:
Now can Fran O' fill it up with better players?

Does anybody else think that it is time for Fran O' to retire? He doesn't seem to recruit the quality players that are needed to win the PL or even be competitive.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
02-03-19 05:13 PM - Post#274949    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • candyfan Said:
Now can Fran O' fill it up with better players?

Does anybody else think that it is time for Fran O' to retire? He doesn't seem to recruit the quality players that are needed to win the PL or even be competitive.

Yes. Even though Lafayette is only 4 years removed from their last championship, they have not been competitive the last few years. Keep in mind they were only 9-9 in the regular season in 2015 when they won the tournament. They seem to get good quality guards, but lack size and depth at the other positions.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
02-03-19 05:39 PM - Post#274952    
    In response to jkrun80

Suggest refraining from saying too much on this subject (Fran O) until after the PLT.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
02-03-19 06:28 PM - Post#274956    
    In response to bison63

Can't disagree with most of what you said. However, aside from the shooting stats, if you saw the game in Easton on Saturday (?) you would have seen another aspect of the game that Bucknell has excelled in during their last two wins over Navy, then Lafayette.

That is teamwork/passing/hitting open man/out hustling the other guys down court/defense in general/rebounding/etc. Particularly, the gap between Bucknell passing/teamwork vs. Lafayette to me, was stark. We make it look like another day at the office. Lafayette struggled to match our level of play in getting people open.

Time and again, the Bucknell five on the floor made superior passes to get somebody a high percentage shot.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
02-03-19 06:45 PM - Post#274958    
    In response to candyfan

I feel bad for Coach Fran...he seems like a good guy.

crd012 
Junior

Reg: 12-02-12
02-04-19 09:51 AM - Post#274997    
    In response to MrPhillie

To me Coach Fran seems lost, it looks like the game has passed him by. Lafayette seems a few steps behind other programs.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
02-05-19 06:16 PM - Post#275139    
    In response to crd012

I don't think Fran O' is lost nor has the game passed him by. He is still great on strategy. But something is wrong with the recruiting? It could be that potential recruits are reluctant to come to Lafayette fearing that he could retire at any time and then they end up playing for who knows who?

One of the strongest reasons kid sign up is knowing that the current coach is going to be there to see them through all four years.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
02-05-19 07:03 PM - Post#275146    
    In response to candyfan

Coach Fran is a legend but it’s time to turn the page for Lafayette. There are zero pre-scholarship era coaches left. Except him.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.306 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:54 AM