Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 9 « First<6789
Username Post: Yale UG Sports Analytics Group Playoff Odds - Men        (Topic#22597)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-28-19 08:35 PM - Post#278479    
    In response to PennFan10

Uh, recruiting picked up before the Tournament. If they're watching ESPN they won't see us. We don't rate that channel. Do you watch the Atlantic Sun? The Sun Belt?

Again, all the rest of the country cares about is if we compete well in the NCAA tournament. If we have a great tournament and the 4th seeded team makes it and lays an egg in the NCAA's, it's a negative, not a positive.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-28-19 08:50 PM - Post#278482    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Did ESPN show highlights from our tournament games on Sportcenter each of the last two years? (Hint: yes). Did they show fans storming the courts? (also yes). That only happens when there are highlights to show.

Again, you couldn't be more wrong on this. The tournament and the exposure from it absolutely helps recruiting. Lots of other issues, but that's not one of them.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-28-19 08:54 PM - Post#278483    
    In response to PennFan10

I'm sure it does, to some extent. But at a cost, and that cost could be sending the best team to the tournament. #58 KP Princeton (23-7) almost beat ND. There is no statistical way the league fares as well by sending a 13-15, KP #151 squad. Nationally, fans of basketball know that Princeton almost beat ND. Only Ivy fans know what happened in our tournament.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-28-19 09:32 PM - Post#278492    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
No one should disagree with that statement.

There should be no question that, over the long run, the league would be better off sending its regular season champion. The relevant question is “by how much.” We can answer that question, and the answer is that the “cost” of not sending the regular season champion is decreasing over time (...and dramatically vs 10 years ago).

Then we get into the risk-reward element of this. Some folks here see lots of rewards in the tournament and thus are willing to tolerate more risk. Others see no rewards in the tourney and thus tolerate no risk.

Certainly we’d be better off sending the regular season champion. At the same time, anyone who thinks the parameters of the argument aren’t totally different than 10-15 years ago (when we REALLY used to get after it over this issue) is kidding themselves.

Although I have not researched, the gap may indeed be lessening between the top 1 and 2 teams and the rest of the league over the past 10 to 15 years as you suggest. The converse is that because of that phenomenen it is becoming increasingly more difficult to win the regular season, i.e. this year, therefore whoever survives the slugfest deserves to go to the Big Dance in a one bid league.

For me, the decision is really easy -- just send the team that has earned the right by winning the regular season -- not all that complicated and easily understood by all.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-28-19 10:23 PM - Post#278497    
    In response to bradley

• Bradley Said:

For me, the decision is really easy -- just send the team that has earned the right by winning the regular season -- not all that complicated and easily understood by all.

I'll try this again.

People were saying that 2017 was as pronounced as it got in terms of "best regular season champ" and "least deserving possible qualifying team playing on its own home court." They played close--almost resulting in a NIGHTMARE. The winner was the regular season champ. They did not advance in the NCAA.

Most years, the four tourney teams will be fully capable of representing the league well. What's wrong with sending the "hot" team and/or the team that plays the best under win-or-go-home pressure?

As for the regular season winners--just give them a damn ring and let them win the tournament. If they are really the best team, it shouldn't be a problem.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-28-19 10:43 PM - Post#278499    
    In response to Go Green

No one is saying that 2017 is the worst we will see. It was ridiculously bad and close to being a disaster, and that is only in 2 years of experience. So, 1 of 2 years is almost a disaster and the other is influenced by HCA. 2 for 2 - great start to this folly.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Yale UG Sports Analytics Group Playoff Odds - Men
02-28-19 11:09 PM - Post#278501    
    In response to bradley

To me, the Kool Aid argument goes the other way. There is such traditional opposition to the Ivy Tournament that I think the pro tournament folks are likely the ones who are thinking about the issue rather than just accepting what we have always done.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-28-19 11:20 PM - Post#278502    

Is it only because I am a Penn fan that I don’t view 2017 as a near disaster? It was a great game and great theater. Frankly, upsets like that are one of the most compelling things in sports. The first weekend of the NCAAs is probably my favorite four days in sports, and it is because of the possibility of an upset like that.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-28-19 11:38 PM - Post#278505    
    In response to SomeGuy

Completely understandable and acceptable perspective. From the perspective of the league, sending a team with a losing record to the Big Dance isn't a positive.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

02-28-19 11:45 PM - Post#278506    

We are 2 for 2! Both years we sent our best rep to the NCAA tournament. Tremendous success.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Yale UG Sports Analytics Group Playoff Odds - Men
02-28-19 11:51 PM - Post#278507    
    In response to PennFan10

Keep playing with fire, and it will burn us all. Of course, I disagree with your characterization of 2018, but you knew that.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 02-28-19 11:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
03-01-19 12:25 AM - Post#278508    

Go Green, Princeton was a #12 seed in 2017 and came within a few inches of advancing to the second round when it came up just short against Notre Dame. Highlights of that game were played over and over again, no doubt advancing the league’s reputation. Had Penn won the ILT in a home court assisted fluke they would have likely been a #16 seed and been burried in a first round game that could have set the league’s reputation back years.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

03-01-19 12:45 AM - Post#278510    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Keep playing with fire, and it will burn us all. Of course, I disagree with your characterization of 2018, but you knew that.

Who was the best Ivy team for the NCAA last year? Harvard without Aiken and Towns or Penn? I don't think you disagree that a wounded Harvard who got beat soundly in round 1 of the NIT would not have been the best foot forward for the league.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

03-01-19 12:49 AM - Post#278512    
    In response to PennFan10

And while we are at it, Penn's picture cutting down the nets at the ILT was on the front page of the Wall Street Journal last year and had articles there and in the New York times featuring Penn as the possible first 16 seed set to beat a 1 seed. A lot of non Ivy people followed and watched that NCAA game and rooted for Penn to win.

The ILT win for Penn last year got a lot of press nationally.

Edited by PennFan10 on 03-01-19 12:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-01-19 05:20 AM - Post#278514    
    In response to PennFan10

It is just not true that the conference tournament increases Ivy League exposure on ESPN. It decreases, it based on the last several years. They used to report all the pivotal regular season games down the stretch and really covered the occasional playoffs to break ties. These occurred while everybody else was playing meaningless games, and being the first conference to choose a champion also guaranteed extra attention--the IL was the Dixville Notch of March Madness.

Now we get tossed in for a brief report mixed in a quick rundown of all the other one-bid leagues. The semis will only get covered in the bad scenario where there is an upset or near-upset of a clearly better top seed.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

03-01-19 08:58 AM - Post#278516    
    In response to SRP

Well if you say “it’s just not true” you must be right. I disagree.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-01-19 09:45 AM - Post#278517    
    In response to PennFan10

I'm not exactly sure how this fits into the discussion, but I found it interesting in terms of conference visibility.

From this weekend's Harvard preview:
https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/r ele...

- Aiken set a new career-high with 44 points on Feb. 8 against Columbia, which is the second-highest point total in a single game in program history, and the 15th most in a game this season around the country. His streak of late-game heroics – against Columbia, Penn and Yale - have been viewed around the world by more than three million people on Twitter and Instagram. Additionally, the clips have generated nearly 300,000 likes, shares and retweets. -

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-01-19 10:04 AM - Post#278519    
    In response to SomeGuy

If memory serves me correctly, IvyMadness opponents suggested that it was at best premature to introduce IvyMadness as one of the KoolAid major arguments was that the IL was on the door step of being a 2 bid league.

Needless to say the opponents of IvyMadness were delusional to make such a sugguestion as after all Penn was a #16 seed with a KenPom ranking of #125 and either Penn or Harvard (#141). In 2017-18, IL non-conference record was 53-67 with a fair number of lay ups as to opponents. Even this year with the league having improved, Yale is the only top #100 team at #74 with Priceton being #58 in 2016-17

Literally, every argument for IvyMadness other than the players "like it" has not panned out - yet. If reality and facts turn out to support the KoolAid drinkers, the label would no longer fit but for the first three years of IvyMadness, the hat appears to fit squarely on rectangular heads of the proponents.

The best PR for the IL is to make a great showing at the Big Dance and win non-conference games. At least, this year improvement was made regarding non-conference games.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-01-19 11:21 AM - Post#278527    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:
Go Green, Princeton was a #12 seed in 2017 and came within a few inches of advancing to the second round when it came up just short against Notre Dame. Highlights of that game were played over and over again, no doubt advancing the league’s reputation. Had Penn won the ILT in a home court assisted fluke they would have likely been a #16 seed and been burried in a first round game that could have set the league’s reputation back years.

Can I assume that the fact that you don't seem to mind that the Ivy rep was a #16 seed in the 2018 tourney means that nobody else does either? Is our reputation back where it should be?

Or is getting a #16 seed THAT MUCH BETTER than a Dayton appearance?

Edited by Go Green on 03-01-19 11:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-01-19 11:34 AM - Post#278528    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
Or is getting a #16 seed THAT MUCH BETTER than a Dayton appearance?

In fact, it is.

(Maybe not, for a team that hasn't been to the tournament since Moses parted the sea.)

Page 7 of 9 « First<6789
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.407 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:20 PM