Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lions Trail Dartmouth 39-25 at Halftime        (Topic#22620)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
02-09-19 08:59 PM - Post#275712    

Coming off last night's triple overtime loss to Harvard, one would expect the players be somewhat fatigued, but the problem tonight seems to be that the Columbia coaching staff did not scout Dartmouth very well. On offense, it took Coach Engles nearly three-quarters of the first half before he finally realized that Dartmouth had no one who could possibly stop Patric Tape from scoring at will. By that point, Dartmouth was up by fifteen points. Meanwhile, on defense, the Lions appear not to have prepared for Barry who everyone knows is an outstanding outside shooter. Maybe Stefanini is exhausted from last night, but I don't remember playing very much in the first half. Anyway, unless Columbia somehow gets going in the second half Engles' embarrssing road loss streak will continue.

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

Reg: 03-17-14
02-09-19 09:33 PM - Post#275731    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

No gas left in the tank. I would have slept in Cambridge, then traveled to Hanover in the morning.
What happened to Stefanini? And why is Barba playing so much?

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

02-09-19 10:10 PM - Post#275741    
    In response to Tod Howard Hawks

Certainly "no gas left in the tank," but getting blown out by Dartmouth may be the last straw. I mean how long will Pilling allow Engles' honeymoon to continue. Pilling is just a very patient man. Engles hasn't won a road game in what seems like forever. Our players are trying their best, but there is no depth on this team because three of his key frontcourt players left the team/school before the season began and Engles only recruited one eligible frontcourt player last year.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-09-19 10:29 PM - Post#275746    

• Columbia 37P6 Said:
but getting blown out by Dartmouth may be the last straw.

Dartmouth blew out Harvard.

Just saying.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
02-09-19 10:40 PM - Post#275751    
    In response to Go Green

True, and despite what one football fan's insistence on Dartmouth needing a home sweep this weekend- Green didn't get it; but they STILL do have meaningful games remaining.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-10-19 08:14 AM - Post#275770    
    In response to AntiUngvar

• AntiUngvar Said:
True, and despite what one football fan's insistence on Dartmouth needing a home sweep this weekend- Green didn't get it; but they STILL do have meaningful games remaining.

To the extent that we're not mathematically eliminated, you are correct.

That being said, most of our remaining games are on the road. I would be delighted to be wrong, but I do not see Dartmouth finishing in the top 4 this season.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
02-10-19 09:03 AM - Post#275774    
    In response to Go Green

It was predictable that last night was going to be a tough evening after playing 55 minutes the night before, losing a heartbreaker, and then taking a long bus ride. No excuses chit just facts.
Even if we had beaten Harvard I would not have expected much last night.
We have to write to Pilling about our issues. He will listen.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

02-10-19 09:04 AM - Post#275775    
    In response to Chet Forte

Sorry for the typo. Meant No excuses, but just facts.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

02-10-19 12:58 PM - Post#275798    

Why do we have to write to Pilling? "Our issues" are his issues and surely he knows what they are. I cannot imagine what I can tell him that he does not already know. Indeed, I feel that there is something going on here with Engles' situation that is not public knowledge. Maybe it is a financial issue. Maybe Pilling has a problem terminating someone he hired. Maybe Bollinger is involved somehow. Otherwise, I cannot see any reasonable factual explanation for retaining Engles after the next few weeks.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

02-10-19 01:44 PM - Post#275801    

Pilling is very approachable and genuinely concerned about the alumni fan base. He is probably being told by Engles that he deserves one more year because of a phenomenal run of bad luck. First, he loses Meisner, our best player. Then he loses Smith, our only true PG. And that is on top of two unanticipated transfers (the party line is that the transfers were malcontents). Plus Engles probably has a four year contract and Pilling has a budget. These are all suppositions, of course. I have seen enough to conclude that a change has to be made, but I am basically skeptical that it will happen unless a significant number of alumni demand it. I wonder where Jon Schiller stands on all this?

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

02-10-19 02:13 PM - Post#275804    

You guys continue to waste your time with this discussion. You all know damn well he's coming back; just like the Republicans will run Trump in 2020, unless he goes to jail or drops dead sometime within the next 18 months!

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
02-10-19 03:34 PM - Post#275811    

Although I wavered a bit earlier in the season, I now strongly believe that Engles should be retained. I have come to this conclusion for three main reasons.

1. Our record this year was the predictable outcome of a "perfect storm." Hanson and Faulds left because they didn't get the minutes to which they thought they were entitled (Faulds, in particular, must have felt slighted to be 7th ranked recruit coming out of Michigan and then be slotted in as the backup to an unknown and unranked Patrick Tape). The rest of the team's unraveling is familiar to everyone: Meisner, the team's best player and the only fully developed interior threat, leaves to play professional basketball in Germany, and Smith suffers an ACL injury in our 6th game. Can anyone on this board claim that with all these facts at hand, they would have at the outset predicted a better season?

2. We will be much better next year, when we will have, if Smith recovers fully, at least three starting players--Tape, Stefanini, and Smith-- with a plausible claim to an Ivy League Honorable Mention or better status. In addition, for the first time in several years, we will also have depth in the form of many credible backups: Smoyer and Onuama at center, and Eddie Turner as PG behind Smith. Fill the other spots in with an improving Brumant, a developing Nweke, along with Ellis and Bibbs who seem to be maturing in the last half of the Ivy Season, plus Forrest and the other recruits, and we could have--if everyone remains healthy--quite a competitive team. This projection all accrues to Engles' credit.

3. From talking with parents of current team members and one recruit, I have learned that despite the record, everyone really likes and respects Engles. The team is inexperienced, short-handed, and lacks some talent. But they are learning and play hard, and no one on the team blames Engles for what has happened to them. If their record occurred in his 5th or 6th year, it would be an entirely different matter. In just his third year, with all the catastrophes that have befallen them, firing Engles would disrupt the team and could well cause us to lose some recruits.

Finally, a little bit of perspective: remember Engles brought NJIT back from a 1-30 season, and Smith in his third year, also finished last in the Ivy League. I hate the results we have seen this season as much as anyone, but I also think we have to give Engles more time.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

02-10-19 04:15 PM - Post#275814    
    In response to cc66

All good points from 66. I just continue to have this nagging feeling that we lose too many close games when a different coaching move might have changed the outcome.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Lions Trail Dartmouth 39-25 at Halftime
02-10-19 04:24 PM - Post#275816    
    In response to cc66

• cc66 Said:
a little bit of perspective: remember Engles brought NJIT back from a 1-30 season, and Smith in his third year, also finished last in the Ivy League. I hate the results we have seen this season as much as anyone, but I also think we have to give Engles more time.

A little more perspective: Kyle Smith never went 1-30; and he's already won 60 games at U San Francisco, in less than three seasons there. Smith's team that finished last in the IL in 2012-13, STILL won four IL games, including one AT Cornell; Smith 2012 team STILL managed to win 12 games overall that season, including an 18 point win at VILLANOVA on November 20, 2012

Moreover you're talking out of your rear end (AGAIN) when you broach the Smith injury- you're the only person who's mentioned it as an ACL tear, and not a torn meniscus. You know nothing about the respective situations of Myles Hanson and Jaron Faulds- their leaving Columbia had ZERO to do with playing time or lack thereof. You mention parents you've spoken to but you never go on record with who these people are- why not contact the parents of Jaron and Myles? See what they relay to you before you further disparage their kids.
Nobody needs your self serving Engles manifesto- we know he's coming back! You're actually more than pathetic- lacking ONE original thought in your head; always spewing forth what Pomeroy conveyed to you about what's supposed to happen in a given game, as you did before that great game on Friday night in Cambridge- another event that you and Pomeroy had completely and totally wrong. But why trust your eyes when you have KP? Of course, I wouldn't trust your eyes or anything else about you, either!
Now why not just go take a long, long nap- it'll do you good , and we'll have somebody from the crackerjack committee on Columbia men's basketball come by and wake you up on the first day of spring.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 02-10-19 04:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

Reg: 03-17-14
02-10-19 04:27 PM - Post#275817    

Chet, I think you're spot-on about writing to Pilling. After all, it was he who brought Bagnoli to Columbia, and Columbia basketball has achieved the antithesis of what Columbia football has. Pilling knows this, and I'm sure he is flummoxed by what he has seen under Engles. Pilling will listen, and quite possibly react positively, to what he reads and hears. Bollinger and the Trustees are not out of the loop either. I remain not sangine about the future of our basketball program under the aegis of Engles.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

02-10-19 04:30 PM - Post#275818    

• Chet Forte Said:
All good points from 66.

Actually, very little of it can be substantiated; most of it is self serving crap- if you take the time to read it. The only thing he got right was informing us that Engles will return; and that's only because Sherwin told him so. And so it will be......

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

02-10-19 05:49 PM - Post#275821    

May I be so bold as to suggest that in seeking the common objective of enhancing our beloved basketball program we refrain from ad hominem attacks here on fellow bloggers. I find that they tend to be counterproductive. Just a thought.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Lions Trail Dartmouth 39-25 at Halftime
02-10-19 07:52 PM - Post#275823    

The guy's a liar; and I have no problem calling him on his lies. BOTH of you, in fact, have speculated in print about why Jaron Faulds left Columbia- not knowing a thing about the kid or ever having had any interaction with him or his family. You once wrote Jaron was homesick; now you're calling him a malcontent; genius 66 wrote today that Faulds expected to play more than Patrick Tapé. Where do you people come up with this garbage?
I'll send you Travis (Jaron's dad) Fauld's email by private message, and you can get the family's side as to their Columbia experience. Anybody who'd lie about a Columbia student athlete via a platform such as this certainly has no beloved basketball program in mind when doing so- he/she, in fact, is nothing but a cancerous agent that needs to be extinguished for the program to ever again flourish.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 02-10-19 07:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Lions Trail Dartmouth 39-25 at Halftime
02-10-19 11:39 PM - Post#275836    

I think you are reading a lot more into cc66’s comment than is actually there. He didn’t call anyone a malcontent. You read it that way. His fairly benign description of the situation pales in comparison to comments you have made about a lot of people around the program — including, quite recently, your negative comments about a high school player who certainly has done nothing to deserve your derision.

The one thing you have right is the concept that everyone has to be pulling in the same direction around the program in order for the program to be successful. The ironic thing is that comments from cc66, Chet and others are clearly intended to be constructive, while you are trying to tear everything down. If you keep tearing it down all the time, you’re never going to build anything.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

02-11-19 01:10 AM - Post#275844    
    In response to SomeGuy

If you're too arrogant and/or lazy to read the whole thread, then mind your own business. You're such a yenta that they don't want you on the Penn page; but why come here?

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-11-19 11:56 AM - Post#275870    

I find it rather ironic, after some of the accusations you have made on here, that you are the one running around emailing players’ families.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

02-11-19 12:39 PM - Post#275884    
    In response to SomeGuy

You're nothing but a foolish yenta with no place to go.
They don't want you on the Penn site; but you simply don't belong here. Since you insist on coming over here, why not start by apologizing for the erroneous story you put out about multiple posting names- the one the moderator had to correct you about- schmuck!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.995 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:46 PM