Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Dartmouth        (Topic#22656)
Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-17-19 09:56 AM - Post#276962    
    In response to SRP

You are probably correct that the offensive flow last night had a few more productive passing sequences than in past games. My comments reflect an overall feeling that this team somehow seems to be not as good as it should be. Coach Henderson has demonstrated that he and his staff are excellent at preparing for and making adjustments throughout the league season, but IMHO the style of play does not seem to maximize the team’s talent. Cannady, Stephens, Aririguzoh and Llewelyn are each elite players and Desrosiers, Much, Schweiger and now Max Johns have all shown they can make big contributions in important game situations when they are on the floor. Last night Morales also played well but in the games I have watched it has felt like he was a turnover waiting to happen.

This is probably due to the overall improvement in the league’s talent and coaching level where this collection of players is only good enough to be highly competitive in the Ivies, which this team clearly is. As Noah Savage commented during both games this weekend, Coach Henderson said this parity is entertaining for the fans but a grind for the players and coaches! (Btw, I love listening to his and Derek Jones’ very balanced and insightful commentary.)

Go Tigers!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-17-19 10:18 AM - Post#276966    
    In response to Tiger81

The league is better as the depth of the league is very different than the past. The reality is that it is still a one bid league as there is not an elite team although Yale is very good and may cause a #4 NCAA Tournament seed some anguish.

Yale and/or Harvard can be beaten in IvyMadness as neither are dominant teams although the Elis have homecourt advantage. The Tigers could win the Tournament if they get in but to date, they are not the best IL team. Cannady and others hit some 3s over a weekend, they could cause some damage in two games only.

The big attraction of IvyMadness is who gets the #4 seed vs #1 seed. After next weekend, it is possible that the odds of someone else other than the current top 4 teams getting in will be unlikely although possible. The thought that the teams outside of the top 4 not playing tough competitive basketball like Dartmouth last night is basically made up to support the concept of the tournmanet.

Whoever wins the IL regular season slugfest has earned the right to go but we know that has about a 40% probablity of occurring although Yale does have homecourt advantage. With the much improved depth of the league, winning the slugfest is very challenging to put it mildly.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-17-19 07:49 PM - Post#277015    
    In response to SRP

Watched the last 4 minutes and other than missing one foul shot with 17 seconds left, Arirguzoh played brillantly. He played a lot of minutes last night, 33, and he played with 4 fouls near the end but he is an athletic skilled played. Myles, Devin and Jaelin all played well at the end but Richmond gives them something special.

He continues to shoot at 70% and 76% FT -very rare. Besdes blocking 3 shots and getting 7 rebounds, he continues to tap out 2 to 3 rebounds to teammates on the offensive end which do not get into rebounding stats but gives his team another opportunity.

If he ever develops a 10 to 15 jump shot next year, watch out.

His improvement over the past two years is nothing that I have seen for a big man at Princeton. It took Mitch a little while to appreciate what he had sitting on the bench last year.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-17-19 09:20 PM - Post#277016    
    In response to bradley

By all accounts RA is a highly competitive and very hardworking young man who arrived at Princeton with less basketball experience than any Division 1 player, let alone recruit. When you combine his work ethic with a coach (JJ) who can help him focus on what he needs to do the 2018-19 player is the result. I fully expect him to be a first team All Ivy player this season. If there has ever been a player who went from 9 mpg in his sophomore year to All Ivy status in his junior year I am not aware of it. To suggest that Mitch did not appreciate RA last year is silly. He was not close to the player he is now.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-18-19 07:42 AM - Post#277026    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

All those years of wishing for a low post player with offensive moves, not just defense and rebounding. Now we have him, and what, we can't shoot 3's???. Cruel fate.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-18-19 12:38 PM - Post#277049    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Some tough team(s) will finish on tap after 14 games. The reward will be to face a 4th seed that it may possibly have already beaten twice for a chance to go dancing.

That is not right. A tournament should exist only if 3 or more teams tie for first. Otherwise, a one game playoff between Champ and Runner Up, but only if they split in regular season. If Princeton somehow gets #4 this year, and has lost twice already to #1, we should not be in the Tournament (i.e. #1 gets a bye).

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
02-18-19 02:16 PM - Post#277064    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

I think we do have the guys who can hit 3s - it’s just that they aren’t the same guys who can play defense at the level needed.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-18-19 03:24 PM - Post#277077    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I agree that Arirguzoh is a significantly improved player this year versus last year although several board posters including me suggested that Arirguzoh should get more playing time last year especially when both Gladson and Richmond were available.

Even at the beginning of this year in non-conference play, Richmond played less than 25 minutes per game with few exceptions with the most minutes, 30, against GW. Since the first Penn game, his minutes have rightly gone up significantly based on his contributions. Even on Mitch's radio show, one hears a somewhat difference perspective that the coach has as to Arirguzoh's skill sets and Mitch know goes to him when the game is on the line and Richmond has delivered.

In the past, Mitch went with Brase over Miller until Hans' injury and many of us thought that Pete should have received additional minutes over his career based on his defensive capabilities.

Some traditional Tiger BB enthusiasts understandably enjoy the Princeton Center being away from the basket on offense but the talent that Richmond has displayed is changing minds and hopefully the recruiting process. Especially with the introduction of talented big men in the IL and what a team faces in non-conference play, you need a defender and a rebounder and offensive skills is a big bonus.

You can easily argue that without his contributions against Brodeur and Penn along with his performances against Cornell and Dartmouth, the Tiger's record would be different.

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
02-18-19 04:27 PM - Post#277086    
    In response to bradley

How quickly they forget Justin Conway.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-19-19 02:26 PM - Post#277164    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Some tough team(s) will finish on tap after 14 games. The reward will be to face a 4th seed that it may possibly have already beaten twice for a chance to go dancing.

That is not right. A tournament should exist only if 3 or more teams tie for first. Otherwise, a one game playoff between Champ and Runner Up, but only if they split in regular season. If Princeton somehow gets #4 this year, and has lost twice already to #1, we should not be in the Tournament (i.e. #1 gets a bye).

I completely agree. For example, three years ago a Tiger fan would be hoping that both Yale and Harvard lose this Friday night and Harvard would beat Yale on Saturday night. With IvyMadness, I guess that some Tiger fans would rather have Yale beat Harvard to slightly improve the odds that Princeton can participate in IvyMadness. First place is less important than being in the top 4 - interesting.

If you have no interest in IvyMadness, the chant on Saturday night will be Go Crimson. A regular season IL Champ banner is a much larger accomplishment with no reward if you lose an IvyMadenss game -- perfectly logical.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.377 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:03 AM