Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia        (Topic#22666)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
02-17-19 12:13 AM - Post#276945    

Good to find a way to win on the road and to make plays. In this case the plays were making most of the foul shots down the stretch. Great to see Anderson get some time in the second half, and possibly work himself back into the lineup. Hunsaker hasn’t found any rhythm since taking the top spot. The offense still isn’t working - after 8 assists last night they had 6 tonight. The defense continues to work.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
Re: Columbia
02-17-19 10:15 AM - Post#276965    
    In response to Bruno

I believe Martin has been using Choh and Obi as point forwards this year. Even when BA was starting early in the season. I was becoming more appreciative of the steadiness that Hunsaker brings to the team. But I was reminded last night of the speed BA brings to the line-up. As long as he is under control, his takes to the basket puts pressure on the opponents defense and opens up options for Choh and others when the defense converges to stop penetration. It is a more aggressive style of offense than passing the ball around the perimeter endlessly. Matin has done a good job of keeping the team moving forward with Howard being out for a number of games and Dez not supplying the his normal offensive contribution. Brown had a good chance of winning both games on the road this weekend against one team that took Harvard to three overtimes and the other that won in Cambridge. Brown has four of their final six games at home. If Anderson contributes, Howard returns, Dez finds his shot, and the D stays strong, the Bears may start to peak at just the right time.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Re: Columbia
02-17-19 12:16 PM - Post#276979    
    In response to JBears

Playing without Howard is a big deal. He had been playing so well, bringing so much off the bench. They were thin in the front court to begin with and to be holding their own on the boards and not giving up points in the paint is a testament to what is likely the most active and effective defense in the league. When’s the last time you could say that.

I can argue that Anderson’s 2nd half performance was the difference that pushed this to a win. As you point out, his speed adds a different dimension. His buckets were a function of speed and his nifty pass to Choh for the dunk is the type of play that has not happened without him. Fine line between making plays like that and playing out of control. But last night he got that balance right and it made a big difference.

Saw Dez trying to create closer to the basket, which seems to be the thing that needs to happen. He’s really not comfortable driving the ball - it’s the hole in his game that you don’t see when you’re catching alleys and hitting threes with no space. But I appreciate what they’re trying to find for him. If you want to leverage what he already does well and get him closer to the basket, I’d personally try to clear out and find him in the post more. Turns out he is an excellent dump passer when he’s doubled near the basket. Maybe the defense isn’t giving him that, but him elevating and going off glass is, for me, one of his best moves.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-17-19 02:47 PM - Post#276992    
    In response to Bruno

Unfortunately, I doubt we will have Howard back for H & D, but it's nice to see Anderson. He adds a needed dimension to the O. We win and defend with quickness.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Columbia
02-17-19 05:49 PM - Post#277009    
    In response to Old Bear

Every game is huge from here on out. Brown has to go 5-1 to guarantee a spot and go at least 4-2 to have a shot and be in a spot for a tie for the 4th.

Speaking of, what are the tiebreaker rules for this thing?

Edited by Bruno on 02-17-19 05:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.147 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:56 PM