Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: So close        (Topic#22667)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
02-17-19 12:23 AM - Post#276947    

Rock fight is the best description of the game. Another tough single digit loss.

Would have been nice to see some contribution from the bench. Not that P's bench was much better with 5 pts.
"...no excuses - only results!”

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-17-19 02:26 AM - Post#276955    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Not much of a rock fight when Dartmouth shoots 50% from both two and three and 73% from the foul line. The ball was going in the basket, with the exception of Princeton's hideous three-point shooting (but the Tigers were 24-40 from inside the arc).

The Big Green played a very good offensive game. Barry was terrific. Princeton just had too much inside scoring, especially from Aririguzoh.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

02-17-19 12:43 PM - Post#276984    
    In response to SRP

Notes: Five of Dartmouth's six league losses have been by five or fewer points, four by no more than three … the Big Green have lost both games on the trip to Penn and Princeton 52 times in the 63 seasons of Ivy League play after an overtime defeat at the Palestra last night … Dartmouth is 3-47 all-time at Jadwin Gym … the Big Green starters produced all 68 points and all but four of the 30 rebounds, while Princeton's reserves provided just five points and three rebounds..

Depth is key. I have to keep bringing up the point. What's not mentioned above is our bench only took one attempt. We have to encourage our guys to score off the bench. A made bucket by the bench could have been the difference.

I thought the guys played hard and well, but just came up short. History at Jadwin was not on our side, neither is the P P road trip. With an overtime loss the night before we had recent data from Columbia game that depth is important. Also despite our 3 point shooting advantage 2s beat 3s in this game

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-18-19 02:48 PM - Post#277074    

The Dartmouth has recaps on the weekend for the men and women.

The men's article focuses on the solid year-long play by the non-seniors.

http://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2019/02/contr i...

The women's article does note the rough injury that senior captain Cy Lippold had in the second quarter on Saturday night.

http://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2019/02/women s...

Lippold, the smallest player of the court at 5'0", went up to block Princeton's 6'4" Bella Alarie and came down hard on her left knee. After several minutes, she was carried off the court by several coaches and trainers. No word on her injury, but Coach Koclanes told the paper that it does not look good for the rest of the season.

Right now, the team is 3-5 and tied for 5th with Columbia and Cornell. They are 2 games away from Yale and Harvard that are tied for 3rd. Catching those two teams would be tough with Lippold, but it might be impossible without her.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-24-19 07:00 PM - Post#277868    
    In response to rbg

Is it just me, or does McLaughlin seem to be having a harder time winning close games than Cormier did?

Granted, McLaughlin has yet to have a year where the seniors are carrying the team...

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

02-24-19 07:25 PM - Post#277871    
    In response to Go Green

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. I'm wearing of trying to feel good about close games. At the end of the game it's still a loss and we still only have two wins in IL play. We need to win at least 3 more games before I can feel like we've made an improvement over the last couple years. It's doable. We're projected to at least get 2 more that would tie the first year under our new coach.

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-24-19 07:42 PM - Post#277873    

I don't disagree. My point was that we've had a LOT of close losses (Davidson, Quinnipiac, Bryant, Harvard, Cornell, Penn, Princeton, Brown) and only one close win (Loyola).

Got to wonder why we seem to almost always come out on the short end of them.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

02-24-19 11:51 PM - Post#277903    
    In response to Go Green

It is definitely a trend that that I'm sure had some direct correlation to our style of play calling and personnel decisions.

I knew depth was an issue going into league play. It's Big Green Chickens coming home to roost; with injuries and foul trouble. In the last game versus Brown when Knight went out fouls in the second half you could see the momentum change. We didn't have enough point production in the floor. It looked as if our strategy was to go defensive until we could get Knight back in the game along with Foye. It was a stall tactic from my estimation. We allowed our lead to dissolve making the game unnecessarily close at the end.

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
03-01-19 10:26 PM - Post#278768    

A one-point loss in overtime. Swell. Throw out the Yale games, and we've lost the other seven games in league play by an average of 2.5 points. One possession. We seem particularly snakebit this year. Anyone at these games? Does the team's body language look like they just assume they're going to lose every close game? I mean, at this point, it would take a Herculean effort not to have that mindset if it were me.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-02-19 02:35 AM - Post#278798    
    In response to flinder

• flinder Said:
A one-point loss in overtime. Swell. Throw out the Yale games, and we've lost the other seven games in league play by an average of 2.5 points. One possession. We seem particularly snakebit this year. Anyone at these games? Does the team's body language look like they just assume they're going to lose every close game? I mean, at this point, it would take a Herculean effort not to have that mindset if it were me.

They look like you said you would given the situation. I would guess they're questioning everything. Nothing Ive read or heard has any plan to get over the hump. We're like Boston freeways, always under construction as evidenced by Big Green Building tag line.

Players always know the truth, what good coaching decisions look like, and which guys should be playing. Constantly losing brings that kind of issues to the fore.

Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
03-02-19 03:53 AM - Post#278800    

Was just thinking about this and came to the opposite conclusion.

These guys were not expected to compete in the league this year. And given their lack of size, depth and talent, they shouldn't be competing. Yet they continue to be in every game, and they haven't collapsed after all these bad beats.

Coaching has to have something to do with that. McLaughlin has the team still believing, still playing hard. That's impressive.

Tonight they had every reason to quit down 8 with a minute to go in regulation, and then miraculously tied it up. They again had every right to throw in the towel after Princeton banked in a 3-pointer in OT to go up 8. And yet they had a shot to win at the end.

Color me disappointed, but optimistic.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-02-19 10:30 AM - Post#278813    
    In response to Greenhorn

I strongly believe our guys play hard because that's their character. That's why you need b guys like Sistare. I don't think it's because of any external motivation. McLaughlin doesn't strike me as much of an charismatic or inspirational type. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-02-19 12:25 PM - Post#278832    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:

Is it just me, or does McLaughlin seem to be having a harder time winning close games than Cormier did?

Granted, McLaughlin has yet to have a year where the seniors are carrying the team...

“It may not seem like much, but this team is a fun team to coach, they play hard, they play together, and they deserve more wins. I need to do a better job late in the game with them. But I know that this team will be ready to go again tomorrow."

I can appreciate the accountability in this statement. This is what we needed to hear. This is how we’ll get over the hump. Our guys play hard regardless. How leaders get buy in is taking ownership. You have to earn the confidence of everyone from the starters to the bench guys. I’ve always believed if you want to know how good a coach you are ask the last guy on the bench who never plays. If that guy will run through a wall for you, your doing it right. Go Big Green Beat Penn.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-02-19 05:49 PM - Post#278900    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
  • Go Green Said:

“It may not seem like much, but this team is a fun team to coach, they play hard, they play together, and they deserve more wins. I need to do a better job late in the game with them. But I know that this team will be ready to go again tomorrow."

I can appreciate the accountability in this statement. This is what we needed to hear. This is how we’ll get over the hump. Our guys play hard regardless. How leaders get buy in is taking ownership. You have to earn the confidence of everyone from the starters to the bench guys. I’ve always believed if you want to know how good a coach you are ask the last guy on the bench who never plays. If that guy will run through a wall for you, your doing it right. Go Big Green Beat Penn.

There is no gentle way to put it. McLaughlin's record at Dartmouth in close games just sucks.

As I said earlier, his teams have generally been less experienced and less talented than the competition. All things being equal, you can expect to lose most of the close ones in those situations. But you'd think that he'd have the coaching smarts to help us pull out a couple...

Next year should be a very important year for McLaughlin.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-02-19 07:13 PM - Post#278905    
    In response to Go Green

I hope we get our game tight by the time we host the IL tourney. It would be embarrassing to host the tournament all the way in Hanover and not be in it.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-03-19 02:46 PM - Post#279156    

Can't wait until we start seeing stuff like this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2o5NB4K2Ow

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
03-03-19 10:52 PM - Post#279205    
    In response to Go Green

Right now, we're 9-13 in games decided by 3 points or less during McLaughlin's tenure...and in his first year, Dartmouth won all five games decided by a single possession's worth of points. This year, in contrast, we're 1-8. It's definitely the opposite trend line from what we want to actually see.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-04-19 02:29 AM - Post#279233    
    In response to flinder

The question is what will he do about it?

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-04-19 12:04 PM - Post#279261    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
The question is what will he do about it?

Winning games by wide margins would be a good start.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-09-19 01:40 AM - Post#280096    
    In response to flinder

• flinder Said:

Lost another close one. We were right there again. Guys looked tired, not dispirited. Looked like we out coached ourselves.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.297 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:52 AM