Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Columbia        (Topic#22713)
Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
02-23-19 02:01 PM - Post#277681    

Opens Princeton -7

I'm going out on a limb and say the last time Columbia swept the "P's" on the road, Dave Newmark, Heywood Dotson and Jim McMillian were controlling the boards for the Light Blue.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Columbia
02-23-19 04:27 PM - Post#277692    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

Ah yes, I remember it well.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Columbia
02-23-19 05:41 PM - Post#277702    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

It is somewhat baffling regarding Cannady last evening. Unlike the 3 games that he missed, I do not believe that he was on the bench. It will be interesting if he playing this evening or is on the bench. Hope that is only preparing for Court date and not something else.

With the missed games, it is highly unlikely that he will finish in 2nd place on the All Time Scoring List or be able to beat up Coach Earl for career 3 pointers but he did bring it upon himself.

Schrieger was obviously a phenomenal substitute last night but that performance will be very difficult to replicate.

Tape was impressive at Columbia. Stephens needs to shut down Stefani and Llewellyn needs to give Adlesh a tough time. Schrieger ate up Adlesh in the last game on offense.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Columbia
02-23-19 10:33 PM - Post#277761    
    In response to bradley

Up 10 with 8 to play but starting to look ragged. Will they put theLions away or lose a big lead again?

Edited by TigerFan on 02-23-19 10:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Columbia
02-23-19 10:56 PM - Post#277765    
    In response to TigerFan

What a weekend! As great as Cannady is, it's been a pleasure watching his teammates grow in his absence. Hopefully Devin comes back with this whole incident behind him -- we 100% need him to have a chance at winning that tourney.

Schweiger gave us the production and 3pt shooting Devin usually does and everyone contributed in their own way, including Johns and Wright. Jaelin is such a fascination player -- despite his anemic shooting %s, he's clearly a huge positive. He comes up with every loose ball and never turns it over under pressure. He's a one-man press-breaker.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-23-19 11:33 PM - Post#277772    
    In response to gokinsmen

Very nice job pulling away at the end. Big games by a lot of players. 3-pt shooting came back nicely. If JL ever starts hitting even 50 % of his layups then watchout! Max Johns defense is really solid. Feeling good about this team.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-23-19 11:51 PM - Post#277773    
    In response to TigerFan

Wright and Johns are starting to get additional minutes especially with Arirguzoh foul trouble. Wright reminds me a bit of Cook when he was a freshmen although 3 inches shorter. He has athleticism plus he has a shooter's touch. Wright and Johns will get minutes from Morales going forward which is understandable.

Columbia is a much improved team and they played well thru the first 16 minutes.Tape is a good player as is Stefanini. Stephens changed the tide with a 3 pointer as the clock was running out with the Tigers down by 5 with less than 4 minutes to go in 1st half. Schweiger had one heck of a weekend.

Great news that Harvard beat Yale although the Tigers still have a tough haul to finish #1 in regular season as they need to probably beat both Harvard on the road and Yale at home.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-24-19 12:20 AM - Post#277777    
    In response to TigerFan

DesRosiers had his best game of the year. Always thought that Jerome and either Schweiger or Much would have to perform well for the Tigers to reach another level. Jerome and Schweiger played great this weekend especially in light of Cannady;s absence and Arirguzoh's tough weekend.

Stephens also raised his game this weekend.

I think that Mitch has a good pulse on this team. The Tigers are playing very hard and tough defense with strong rebounding.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-24-19 12:23 AM - Post#277779    
    In response to bradley

Schwieger was pretty awesome. The defense isn't keying on him that much and he is way better offensively than people have been giving him credit for. He didn't even get to show one of the best parts of his game--cutting to the basket without the ball--because of how the Tigers are playing offense.

Llewelyn's decision-making in the half-court when he is the pilot is still kind of shaky. The guy is not that good a finisher in traffic and he persists in driving into hopeless situations without kicking it out when the help arrives. But the improvement in his outside shooting, his press-breaking, and his passing from outside are very nice, and he's been solid defensively. That shot he took from Barba that drew the flagrant foul was a little scary.

Defenses have started to converge on Aririguzoh from different directions, and that's cut down on his shot attempts. I liked how he didn't force things too much and made contributions on both ends even though he wasn't scoring. The Tigers should work more on him passing out of the double teams with teammates moving to areas where they can catch it and shoot.

Stephens has been fun to watch as he scraps like crazy out there and leads the team. Desrosiers with a big weekend was a relief hitting those treys. Much was much better against Columbia, showing his passing skills and not getting abused so much on D.

Obviously, when this team hits anywhere near 50% of its threes it's going to be tough to beat, especially when the turnovers are contained and the rebounding is good. They just need to stop going into those bouts on offense where they stop moving and passing. There's enough scoring ability if they can get the defense moving to create angles or mismatches.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-24-19 12:49 AM - Post#277782    
    In response to SRP

You make good points regarding Llewellyn but his talent is simply insane. He was diving and fighting tonight at an even higher level but his ultimate strength is his ball handling. A little too much confidence regarding his shooting but he is going to be a big time player. Plus, he is the right attitude and mind set.

Mitch did exactly the right thing in inserting him in the starting line up Day 1 even with the ups and downs. There will be even greater benefits down the road. Mitch has also done the right thing in transforming the Tiger team to a different model than the past that will compete against not only IL teams but non-conference competition as well.

Let's hope that Jaelin stays for at least three years -- he does need to get stronger and he also needs to work on his shooting form and how he finishes.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-24-19 01:33 AM - Post#277784    
    In response to bradley

And why would Jaelin not stay for FOUR years???

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-24-19 08:03 AM - Post#277789    
    In response to Tiger69

Really nice win last night, most complete game I have seen so far this year despite the absence of Cannady. Tigers are somehow 4-0 without Devin all against the Cs.

Defense was active and outstanding last night, the ball moved well on offense and the treys finally started to drop, most of which were in-rhythm. I have loved Schweiger’s game since he was a freshman but he has risen to a new level with his confidence and integration into the team’s flow. Completely agree that this weekend Aririguzoh did not force his shots and that over-playing him opened up many other scoring opportunities. I was surprised that they did not even try to feed him that much but their strategy certainly worked.

The Tigers control their destiny but were 1-3 against their remaining opponents and each of these games will be battles. Notwithstanding Noah Savage’s enthusiasm about the Ivy tourney, I still lament the demise of the old format because it means Princeton can probably split its final contests and still nab a spot in Ivy Madness, which somehow devalues these games in my mind.

But let’s see what happens. If Schweiger, Johns and Wright continue to perform at last night’s level and Stephens, Desrosiers, Llewellyn and Aririguzoh maintain their level of play they will be in every game. I think Sebastian Much could be a difference-maker; if he plays productive minutes and hits open shots that will make this a much deeper and harder-to-defend team.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-24-19 08:53 AM - Post#277790    
    In response to Tiger81

• Tiger81 Said:
Aririguzoh did not force his shots and that over-playing him opened up many other scoring opportunities

Columbia in particular was pushing him out from the low block to get the ball, making the entry pass very difficult, and giving him no space to operate with the ball.

Not sure what can be done about this other than kick out to the open man and swing to the other side and start over again.

I do think however that the entry pass to Richmond is often a beat slow, giving the defender time to close on him and overplay the passing lane.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-24-19 09:15 AM - Post#277794    
    In response to Tiger69

Prior to the season, Jaelin was identified as one of five mid-major players that could be one and done. This commentary was obviously made prior to his injury.

You never know but if his performance takes off, it is not out realm of possibility that he could fall into the Oni category who might declare for the draft this year. Morgan considered it after his junior year.

Jaelin needs to build strength and improve his shooting skills but he has God given talent. Time will tell.

As the talent level rises in IL, other players may start to fall into the category of possibly going early. Fortunately, attending an IL school may temper the temptation.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-24-19 11:18 AM - Post#277803    
    In response to bradley

Hopefully he is as talented overall as the hype implies, but it's hard for me to see a player with his current shooting performance level have going pro as a viable option.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-24-19 01:18 PM - Post#277817    
    In response to sparman

I’m very impressed with JL’s ball handling and maturity for a freshman but let’s get real. He’s shooting 25 percent from three, under 60% from FT and is only finishing on about 20% of his drives. He has enormous potential but to see him getting to the next level is crazy talk right now.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-24-19 01:22 PM - Post#277819    
    In response to TigerFan

Uh, he’s unlikely to be ROY in his own midmajor league. How does that warrant NBA talk?

bradley 
PhD Student

02-24-19 02:19 PM - Post#277822    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Let's check back one year from now and see how he is performing. I will put it on the calender for a reality check to see how crazy I am.

Over the weekend, he literally could get by just about anybody at anytime as noted by Savage and Jones.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-24-19 03:44 PM - Post#277831    
    In response to bradley

Coach Henderson noted that Llewelyn had no turnovers in 36 minutes against Columbia, which is remarkable given how much of the time the ball was in his hands. He has also been a big part of Princeton’s increased defensive intensity in league play.

I agree that he is a work-in-progress and that his outside shooting and inconsistency in finishing at the rim are going to need to improve. But a learning curve is not surprising given that he has been asked to be the team’s PG from Day One. Once he adapts those parts of his game to college-level competition he will be able to fully capitalize on his quickness and court vision and realize his “top 100 recruit” billing.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-24-19 04:07 PM - Post#277840    
    In response to Tiger81

I was not questioning Llewelyn’s skills or talent. He is Princeton’s starting PG as a frosh. I reacted to the 1 and done talk floating around. As Harvard has experienced, there is a HUGE difference between a marginal top 100 player and a top 10 talent.

Llewellyn will be a meaningful player in this league, but may not be all Ivy yet. As a freshman, Aiken was first team. Let’s see about Llewelyn.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.733 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:16 PM