Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Columbia        (Topic#22713)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-24-19 04:46 PM - Post#277850    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Kind of funny that Princeton is 6-0 against the Mid-Atlantic and 1-3 against New England in conference. Time to change that narrative next weekend with a sweep.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-24-19 05:49 PM - Post#277855    
    In response to SRP

Bradley noted that there was pre-season hype about Llewelyn being a candidate for one and done and speculated that it was conceivable that he could declare for the draft before exhausting his eligibility “if his performance takes off”. But I have not seen any commentary that suggests that he has had a ROY season let alone jumping to the pros (at least yet!).

Another interesting data point is that he is one of only two Tigers with an assist to turnover ratio that is > 1 at 48/31 (Jose Morales is 42/33 with 101 less minutes of playing time, which was better than I expected).

If you are looking for a precocious Harvard player to compare to Jaelin then Siyani Chambers may be a better example. Like Aiken he was ROY and first team All-Ivy as a freshman but as the team’s PG; Aiken played with Chambers when he was a rookie, which surely helped to accelerate his development.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-24-19 06:17 PM - Post#277859    
    In response to Tiger81

Started keeping a new stat last night: drives to the rim that end in a score vs. drives that end in a missed layup. By my count last night JL had one score and four drives that ended in a miss. He also stopped in the lane and outjuked his defender to score a couple of times with a short, lean-in jumper.

SRP 
Postdoc

Re: Llewelvyn
02-24-19 08:47 PM - Post#277885    
    In response to Tiger81

• Quote:
If you are looking for a precocious Harvard player to compare to Jaelin then Siyani Chambers may be a better example.

Truer than you may realize. Chambers was also a poor finisher at the rim, as Mike James used to point out.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-24-19 08:50 PM - Post#277886    
    In response to SRP

I agree with TigerFan that JL was better when he didn't try to get all the way to the rim the last couple of games. Maybe he could work on that Jay-Wright-coached jump-stop and pivot in the lane on drives--it's worked great for Villanova players over the last several seasons when there's too much help near the rim. A floater would be a nice alternative, too.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Re: Llewelvyn
02-24-19 09:03 PM - Post#277890    
    In response to SRP

Much like Noah, though even more acute due to the loss of so much of the season due to injury, it's clear if you watch him that he's got all the tools. There are correctable problems that he'll have to work at (for Noah, it's what you can and can't get away off the dribble and the myriad turnovers that's resulted in... for Jaelin, it's completing the move).

But yeah, Jaelin's at 37.5% at the rim and taking 45% of his shots there. So the good news is that he can get to the rim. The bad news is obvious, though. The Siyani comparison may be a little off, because Siyani was actually a decent rim finisher when he could get a look, but couldn't even create those looks (his % of shots at the rim was like half of Jaelin's).

My hunch is he'll figure that out. And when he does, he's going to be in high, high demand at the next level.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-24-19 09:42 PM - Post#277895    
    In response to mrjames

I have very high hopes for Llewelyn. You can see how talented and poised he is. Once the pieces start coming together he could be an all-timer.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-25-19 10:49 AM - Post#277924    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Uh, he’s unlikely to be ROY in his own midmajor league. How does that warrant NBA talk?

If memory serves me correctly, one of my favorites Jeremy Lin better turn in his 11 year NBA union card based on his freshmen performance on a 5-9 6th IL team averaging 4.8pts in 18 minutes per game. Also making or not making 1st team All Ivy as a freshmen will not be determinative if any IL player can ever somehow find their way to the NBA which needless to say is an unbelievable challenge.

Needless to say, I never suggested that Jaelin would be a one and done player nor do I have any idea if he can ever play one minute in the NBA. My only comment is that he is blessed with unique skills and one only had to witness Duke pressuring seasoned Yale backcourt players vs. the success of Duke pressuring Llewellyn in his 3rd game.

Although there are many factors in the success or failure of a team, Princeton is 11-5 with LLewellyn as a freshmen starting PG with road losses against Duke, St. John's, Yale and Brown.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-25-19 01:09 PM - Post#277949    
    In response to bradley

He's good, and will be a good - maybe great - player in this league.

Only 60 players get drafted into the NBA each year so it's hard and hard to tell. Lin not getting drafted but being successful isn't at all relevant. Do you think Bryce Aiken will be drafted? If not, then good luck.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.233 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:00 PM