Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: A Look at Dartmouth WBB Recruiting Process        (Topic#22726)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-25-19 09:37 AM - Post#277912    

http://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2019/02/stern -...

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-25-19 11:30 AM - Post#277930    
    In response to rbg

Thanks for posting.

I still think that if DWB does not qualify for the tournament, Koclanes is in trouble. We're currently tied for fourth with Yale, but I'm pretty sure Yale owns the tie-breakers because they have better league wins.

In my mind, Koclanes really hurt herself two years ago by giving a terrible interview with the Valley News. I'm paraphrasing, but she told the VN that she wasn't concerned at all with wins or losses, but was focused on player development. If that was her first year--or even second--such comments would have been totally fine. But it was the middle of her fourth season. If DWB was just about player development, Sheehy would have kept Wielgus.

From what I can tell, people genuinely seem to like Koclanes. And I hope she's there for a long time. But if she's not capable of getting DWB into the upper tier of league competition, we should consider finding someone who might be able to do so.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
02-25-19 09:51 PM - Post#277993    
    In response to Go Green

I'm not sure that the AD was that concerned with wins and loses at that time. Dartmouth is very into development, there is no pressure/expectation to win now.
"...no excuses - only results!”

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-26-19 07:26 AM - Post#278021    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
I'm not sure that the AD was that concerned with wins and loses at that time. Dartmouth is very into development, there is no pressure/expectation to win now.

Then why did he fire Wielgus?

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-26-19 09:01 AM - Post#278025    
    In response to Go Green

Should also mention that if expectations to win are low for DWB, Koclanes is responsible for part of that perception.

She's said several times that recruiting at Dartmouth is difficult. She said it again in that article. Whether or not she's right is besides the point. I'm hard pressed to name another Dartmouth coach who has remarked about how difficult recruiting is other than Koclanes.

I really don't think Gail Boudreaux endowed the coaching job to be filled by a person who is effectively telling the world that finishing middle-of-the-pack is an accomplishment.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.236 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:25 PM