Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Devin Cannady to miss rest of 2018-19 season        (Topic#22759)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-06-19 03:22 PM - Post#279596    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Based on Mitch Henderson's radio show last night, I do not believe that Devin will be at the game Saturday night which is sad but understandable. I am sure that all three seniors including Myles will be in the starting line up even in the unlikely event that the game is meaningful.

Coach discussed the need for leaving the bench two minutes into last Friday night's game at Dartmouth which certainly provided a wild card in clinching a spot. He also discussed the dissapointment regarding the offensive play at Harvard.

One statistic that is somewhat surprising is that the Tiger's women and men teams are the two best free throw shooting teams of the 16 in the IL. The women are shooting at 77.5% for the year while the men approximately 3 pts lower but lead the IL men. The women as a league are shooting FTs' slightly better than the men and the worst FT shooting team by a significant amount is a men's team. One of the plusses for the Tigers regarding this stat is the high percentage shooting by the two bigs, Richmond and Bella.

The men are also being fouled more than prior years probably due to their inside game.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Devin Cannady to miss rest of 2018-19 season
03-07-19 01:20 AM - Post#279658    
    In response to bradley

Bradley said:
  • Quote:
in the unlikely event that the game is meaningful.

A tie for the Ivy League Championship counts as an Ivy League Co-Championship. If the Tigers win Friday night, then they will still be in the running to be co-champions going into Saturday’s game against Yale. I would consider that “meaningful,” even if seeding in the tournament is not at stake.

Edited by TigerFan on 03-07-19 01:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Devin Cannady to miss rest of 2018-19 season
03-07-19 07:27 AM - Post#279660    
    In response to TigerFan

Of course it is meaningful and should be treated that way. But if you want to consider the manner in which the tournament has perverted the thinking of fans, I had to battle a group of dedicated long time Penn fans who believed that if Princeton beats Brown, Penn should play its starters sparingly against Yale to make sure they are fresh for Brown the next night because they still will have to win that game to get in at 6-8.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-07-19 09:01 AM - Post#279661    
    In response to TigerFan

I completely agree that Saturday night's game will be meaningful if the Tigers beat Brown on Friday night - I incorrectly categorized Saturday night's game if the Tigers beat Brown which will be very challenging. It may not matter if the Tigers sweep as I would not be surprised if Harvard sweeps on the road.

As previously stated many times, I would rather have the Tigers with a banner in the rafters or being champions or co-champions of the regular season vs. winning IvyMadness even though they would not go to the Big Dance. I will be at the games on Friday and Saturday night but not in New Haven for sure.

It was wonderful that Banghart addressed the subject on her podcast describing the importance of players after graduation seeing a championship banner in the rafters based on what they achieved during the regular season. She used it as motivation in the huddle last Saturday night in the Harvard game.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-07-19 05:12 PM - Post#279780    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Of course it is meaningful and should be treated that way. But if you want to consider the manner in which the tournament has perverted the thinking of fans, I had to battle a group of dedicated long time Penn fans who believed that if Princeton beats Brown, Penn should play its starters sparingly against Yale to make sure they are fresh for Brown the next night because they still will have to win that game to get in at 6-8.

If a 6-8 team wins IvyMadness, it would be embarassing if they represent the IL at the Big Dance. Why a fan would want such an outcome is counter intuitive but it is what it is. Congratulations to the team with a 6-8 record for a brillant campaign.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-08-19 07:30 AM - Post#279828    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

If a 6-8 team wins IvyMadness, it would be embarassing if they represent the IL at the Big Dance. Why a fan would want such an outcome is counter intuitive but it is what it is. Congratulations to the team with a 6-8 record for a brillant campaign.

I doubt anyone (other than the 6-8 team and its fans) "wants" such an outcome.

But if it happens, congrats to them. That's the nature of having a tournament.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-08-19 09:04 AM - Post#279830    
    In response to Go Green

Go Green, you are tiresome. The fact that a 6-8 team could theoretically represent the league in the NCAAs is one of the reasons that many of us don’t think there should be an Ivy tournament, not just an unavoidable consequence of having a desired tournament.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-08-19 09:24 AM - Post#279831    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:
Go Green, you are tiresome. The fact that a 6-8 team could theoretically represent the league in the NCAAs is one of the reasons that many of us don’t think there should be an Ivy tournament, not just an unavoidable consequence of having a desired tournament.

Respectfully, that's an entirely different perspective than suggesting that people "want" (i.e., are actively rooting for) the 6-8 team to win the tournament.

In any event, common senses suggests that such results will be rare anyway. And I hardly need to point out that it ignores the oft-repeated benefits of having a tournament.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-08-19 10:24 AM - Post#279841    
    In response to Go Green

I have yet to hear “benefits” of having an IL bball tournament.🐅

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-08-19 11:43 AM - Post#279851    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
I have yet to hear “benefits” of having an IL bball tournament.🐅

If that's the case, then I suggest you consult an audiologist in short order.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-08-19 01:47 PM - Post#279870    
    In response to Go Green

You mean like a second bid? So far, no good.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-08-19 01:51 PM - Post#279873    
    In response to Tiger69

Not yet at least. But most (reasonable) people agree that the tourney increases our chances of it. I mean, the old system obviously wasn't getting it done

Here's another benefit: the players want and enjoy it. You seriously haven't heard that one?

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-13-19 08:36 AM - Post#280943    
    In response to Go Green

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2019/03/c...

- Standout men’s basketball player Devin Cannady ’19 entered a plea agreement on March 11 for the four charges brought against him after he allegedly threw a punch at a Department of Public Safety Officer in Wawa on Jan. 18.

The charges of simple assault, resisting arrest, and disorderly conduct were dismissed. For the charge of being under the influence without a prescription, Cannady was given a conditional discharge, which can be dismissed in a year if he does not face other arrests or convictions.

Cannady will also serve 20 hours of community service as part of his agreement.

“That’s what we asked for and the prosecutor agreed to it because it was appropriate, and a normal deal in these sort of situations,” Kim A. Otis, attorney for Cannady, said in an interview with The Daily Princetonian. “It’s a relatively minor case of the use of marijuana. It happens a lot at the University.”

Prosecutor Kim Lacken, explained that she had consulted the police officer Cannady allegedly threw a punch at, as well as his supervisor, and they agreed that the charges were “just a result of an unfortunate event.” -

- Earlier this year, Cannady was suspended from the team for violating team rules and was later reinstated following an investigation conducted by the University. He announced earlier this month that he was taking a voluntary leave of absence from the University for personal reasons and would not be playing on the men’s basketball team for the rest of the season.

While Cannady’s driving privileges were also subject to a year-long suspension, Otis argued that because Cannady is now living and working in different parts of Indiana, losing these privileges would have a “devastating impact on him.” McCarthy agreed that Cannady’s circumstances were compelling enough to drop this suspension.

While on leave, Cannady will prepare for the NBA draft, and he has plans to return to the University in the fall, according to Otis. -

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
03-13-19 10:23 AM - Post#280972    
    In response to rbg

Not even a slap on the wrist. I wonder if the judge was wearing one black sock and one orange sock. I love the lawyer's comment that this was a normal situation that happens a lot at the University. Which part? Being high on marijuana or taking a swing at a cop?

palestra38 
Professor

03-13-19 10:28 AM - Post#280975    
    In response to LyleGold

It is the typical sentence for a first time offender who gets into an inebriated altercation. Let's not call for the death penalty here---he lost the rest of what would have been his senior year, will have to return to finish his degree and lost the chance to play out his senior year with Princeton. That's not insignificant.

I don't know what you would call for here, but I know that this is fair.

Albert08 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-21-10
03-13-19 10:33 AM - Post#280978    
    In response to LyleGold

Knock it off about the bias of the judge. FYI, Cannady's lawyer, Kim Otis, is a Penn grad, Class of 1976.

https://www.lawyers.com/princeton/new-jersey/ kim-a...

I wonder if he was wearing one red sock and one blue sock.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-13-19 10:46 AM - Post#280986    
    In response to Albert08

Judge got his law degree from Penn, too.

palestra38 
Professor

Devin Cannady to miss rest of 2018-19 season
03-13-19 10:55 AM - Post#280991    
    In response to sparman

Lyle isn't a lawyer--I am. He's a teacher, so views this from a detention point of view. Taking a swing at authority is maximum detention to him.

This was more than fair. And yes, I knew of the parties' ties to both Penn and Princeton.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-13-19 11:45 AM - Post#281004    
    In response to palestra38

I know you are, and IMO your views reflect both legal background and experience. Lyle did not seem to have all the facts.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.441 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:46 AM